Cit for Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, first time posting here.

Told my GP of the hell I experience daily that is anxiety, and was prescribed 10mg Citalopram for week 1 and 20mg thereafter, I was also prescribed Diazepam to take for the first 2 weeks and organised CBT. Day 1 of meds today. I have not taken any medication before this. Just wanted to share my experience and I'm interested in others experiences with this drug for helping with anxiety and any side effects experienced by you.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey. Yes I'm having side effects still, started on 5 mg first 5 weeks, doctor upped me to 10 mg now been on the 10 mg for 4 weeks by this Sunday. Today and yesterday, very tired and anxious, told these are normal side effects and give it time, seems 5 plus 4 weeks is a lot of time for wanting to feel like myself again. No fast fix I guess. Good luck to you, I also take clonazepam but that I try to only take at bedtime but maybe during this new cit pill I should be talkin it to help bring that anxiety down some, just hate being so tired and not being me!
    • Posted

Hi Cindy. Thanks for your reply. My GP told me that the Diazepam was to be taken alongside the Cit to decrease the side effects, to help with sleep and the increased anxiety that the GP said I'm likely to experience until the Cit starts working properly, maybe the Clonazepam would help you with the side effects the same way, try it  smile

I do wonder why your GP put you on 5mg up to 10mg and my GP said straight away to take 10mg week 1 and that we will up it to 20mg after that considering I have never been on any meds before, for anxiety or anything else (I'm now thinking is my dose high ?). How do they determine who needs what dose, I wonder. From what I have been reading 5 to 10mg is a relatively low dose ? Perhaps you could discuss upping your dose with your GP to see if it helps you, from what I have read my understanding is that the correct dosage is most important.

I do suffer badly with anxiety, I manage to work full time though, just not enjoying anything really and I'm sick of spending every minute worry about things that may or may not happen. I don't know how to relax at all.

I plan to post updates for others on what I experience with Cit as I found other people's experiences to be very informative and also quite varied.

I hope you do manage to bring the anxiety down, to regain some energy and get back to being yourself. Thanks so much for your reply. xxx

• Posted

It does help to talk on here to others that take this pill also, learning that how we're feeling while on it all sounds so normal. The smaller dose to start with is because my body does react to meds so crazy like, but I hate talkin anything but guess I'm in those years where I need some help along the way, menopause doesn't help either, hot flashes and anxiety is part of menopause along with tiredness, so I'm at a loss right now.
    • Posted

Yes, thank you, I already feel better knowing that others are going through this rubbish also smile People I have spoken to look at me like I'm an alien and can't relate to how I feel, suffering with the anxiety, so I don't talk about it with them anymore really because they don't understand it.  

It's awful that you feel that way, do you think you will try the Clonazapam in the day to see if it helps? xx

• Posted

I just did,took half a pill, hate taking my clonazepam during the day but maybe it'll take this edge off. I take clonazepam for insomnia that's why I'd rather take it at bedtime but just took a half can take up to 2 a day, 0. 5 mg each.
    • Posted

Not the best of day and today, not a good day either. I took half a clonazepam around 2 and a quarter at bedtime, slept good but this morning pretty anxious. You, how are you?
    • Posted

I think I'm anxious because I'm suppose to go for lunch and shopping and I'm just not wanting or able to do that stuff yet, I think that might be making me feel anxious today too. Plus little body aches and pains make me worry about what it may or may not be, hate these feelings/worries!
    • Posted

I know it's so awful to feel like that, sorry you feel that way, I'm glad to hear that you had a nice sleep though ! smile If you really feel like your not ready for it then don't do it.

Your not up to it today, that's absolutely fine really  smile 

I'm actually feeling good today thanks, took my first dose last night and instantly felt sick really, and a bit strange, yawning loads too and no appetite. Slept well last night, woke earlier than usual but nothing ridiculous. Feel fine now though, I'm hoping I don't react badly in the future.

xx

• Posted

Yeah I know that worrying about going to lunch and shopping could be this anxiety feeling today but it's for my daughter, she's going to have a baby in Oct. And we were all shopping for baby shower party stuff so it's like I almost have to do this
  • Posted

Start up side effects of cotalopram can be bad for some people. I suffer mostly with nausea and headache/dizziness.
    • Posted

Yep, I forgot the lightheaded dizziness too. Not everyday, so maybe the cit is starting to level out but today I'm so anxious/nervous tired.
    • Posted

Hi Amy, thanks for your reply. I'm quite worried about the side effects, especially the nausea as my anxiety causes me to be physically sick daily anyway and the thoughts of the nausea becoming more frequent freaks me out.

How quickly do the side effects rear their ugly heads smile It's such a shame that you have to experience the side effects as the anxiety is bad enough without headaches, dizziness and nausea on top of it ! I hope you feel better soon.  I have my fingers crossed, hoping I don't get too sick from them.

Has anyone gone to work when they first started taking the Cit ?

xx

• Posted

No problem, my side effects lasted for nearly 6 weeks this time round. I've been back on them for just over 2 months. Looking to increase to 20mg after my holiday as I haven't felt much change in my anxiety. I'm worried as I know the side effects will start all over again I couldn't cope on 20mg last time x
    • Posted

Six weeks, sounds absolutely awful. I hope that I'll cope if I do experience side effects like you have. Did you take anything when starting the cit, to help.xx
    • Posted

No nothing! If it happens again I will ask the doctor for anti sickness pills x
    • Posted

I would definitely ask for something to help you. My stomach started churning instatly after taking my first dose yesterday like never before, unpleasant but nothing unbearble though. I did feel a bit weird after taking my forst dose, don't know how to descrbe it but I just felt a bit strange, had no appetite because of my stomach.

I take my second dose tonight hopefully I'm ok. I hope I'm not sick for weeks like you, I'm so sorry you have been sick for so long. I feel ok today, woke up early though, didn't take any Diazapam because I don't want to take it unless I have to.

When are you increasing to 20mg, I'm increasing next week after 1 week of 10mg, hoping I'm not to sick for it xx

• Posted

I just sent an email to my doctor asking if I should come down to 5 mg. I really hate this pill, sorry I'm not helping you feel better about this pill but I'm so tired if feeling anxious and tired all the time. I too don't want to take my clonazepam, don't want to be so drugged up all day long or depend on a darn pill. That's part of my problem, I'm fighting these drugs I guess.
    • Posted

You mentioned you had been on 5mg  for five weeks before upping to 10, how did you feel then ? That's exactly how I feel with the Diazepam, I don't want to take them because I know it's only a temporary relief, which in the long run won't help.

xx

• Posted

I was tired maybe not as anxious feeling I don't think.
    • Posted

Hope the Dr will be able to help. What side effects are you experiencing xx

• Posted

Just more anxious and triedness. I doubt if I'll hear back from my doctor today seeing its Saturday, she doesn't work.
    • Posted

I'm going to increase the week after next, know it won't be good.
    • Posted

Wish I could email my doctor! She is fed up of seeing me most weeks. She refused to give me diazepam, I'm kind of glad. I promise you will feel better after a while. My anxiety was terrible before I came on holiday. Had a small episode today worrying because I felt sick and got it in my head the chicken I ate at dinner time wasn't cooked, but I'm fine now the holiday has helped me to relax. Try to do something to keep you occupied. X
    • Posted

So you've been on cit I take it you've been on it awhile? What mg do you take now and are you tired and anxious at all or has it helped you now?
    • Posted

Just wondering how long and if the tiredness goes away?
    • Posted

only took a week or 2 for me to stop feeling tired. I'm now the opposite find it hard to sleep.
    • Posted

Oh really. I also have insomnia issues but I've been on clonazepam for that, also its for anxiety. I'm only on 10 mg of the citalopram, she started me on 5 mg for the first 5 weeks, than she upped it to the 10 mg. been on 10 for 4 weeks tomorrow but feeling so tired and anxious too, just wondering how normal that all is with this pill? People say it is but goodness, thought its suppose to help the anxiety
    • Posted

Feeling more anxious is normal, I believe the horrible side effects and the fact you are taking new medication doesn't help! I would give it 3 months if you don't feel an improvement then try an alternative. Cotalopram won't work for everybody, but it is the best antidepressant for anxiety. I find beta-blockers help too.
    • Posted

Okay, been a total of 9 weeks but only on 10 mg afraid to have my doctor go any higher because of those darn side effects. How much do you take if I may ask and how long have you been on citalopram?
    • Posted

I took 10mg for about a year and they helped last year. I decided to stop which was hard and couldn't cope after a few weeks so went back on. Been a couple of months on 10, not much improvement so going up to 20 after my holiday dreading the side effects but has to be done!
    • Posted

Maybe the side effects won't be as bad seeing its in your system already, we hope anyways for your sake. So 10 mg might just be enough for me if I can get over the Hump of starting them
    • Posted

Hell yes HootyHoo, have had to work like most throughout the start up. Not easy when you work 12 hour shifts, feel like hell and have to push through. Day 12 for me and it has not been easy, and I have managed, and so will you. x Go for it. Lee.
    • Posted

Well I went out to lunch and shopping, maybe just too much yet, I didn't do well at all, very anxious and tired so today it hits me big time. I'm very anxious and feel like I'm going to cry, just a little too much yesterday maybe. I feel like stopping this pill, feel like I'm worse then better on it. What to do, I'm wanting to feel myself so badly.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply and kind words, was at work today felt fine and went well, I'm not having any  bad side effects other than sleep problems (always had sleep problems anyway) but it's only night 4 on cit tonight, so I won't speak too soon. Hope I don't get any bad side effects when I up to 20mg in 3 days. 

It's nice to hear that you have managed to suffer on through the start up of the cit and work at the same time, makes me think I can too. 

xx

• Posted

Hi Cindy, how are you today? Hope your feeling better xx
    • Posted

Right now this afternoon I'm feeling better, yesterday wasn't good going out for lunch and shopping, very anxious and so tired, wasn't a fun day at all but some better today, sure hope I'm on the mend. Hope you're doing well today! Thank you so much for asking about me, I know my daughter was happy I came.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.