Cit for Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, first time posting here.

Told my GP of the hell I experience daily that is anxiety, and was prescribed 10mg Citalopram for week 1 and 20mg thereafter, I was also prescribed Diazepam to take for the first 2 weeks and organised CBT. Day 1 of meds today. I have not taken any medication before this. Just wanted to share my experience and I'm interested in others experiences with this drug for helping with anxiety and any side effects experienced by you.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi HootyHoo,

And as I am well known for saying "Welcome to the Club!"

Cita for anxiety (amongst other things of course) Diaz to reduce the side effects of Cita? Sounds like (unless there are other things going on) for someone (like me) who had never been down this road before a little OTT? Perhaps?

Anyway, you have done the right thing by joining this forum! There aare one or two regular "angels" that will pop up and post soon, I'm sure and be able to advise you more clearly on the mix of drugs etc. Like you I came here over 7 months ago with a whole shed load of stress and on prescribed med for the first time (apart from antibiotics), but I have not looked back since. This is an amazing place to be! A couple of things to remember is that this "sticking plaster for the brain" (I just love using that as an explanation!) will take as long as it takes. As everyone is different you may or may not experience the same side effects, nor the level, intensity and they may or may not pass quickly. Anxiety is one that creeped up on me (and most) as Cita, apparantly, causes anxiety to be able to treat it - yipee! Great!

For now, keep your posts coming in as and when you feel like it (as somedays you may feel like staying in bed. Any problem like angst, paranoia (feeling like "other" things are going on or wrong) questions in general or just a chat - then sign in and post! Try and keep positive about whatever Cita pushes your way, focus on recovery (accepting it may take a while) and basically try and go with the flow!

Look forward to your posts.

Good Luck,

David

• Posted

Hi David, thanks for your reply. I myself also thought it may be a little OTT. Have only take 3 of the diaz (2mg a day) and none yesterday because I don't want to take them unless I have to and felt good yesterday so didn't need it.

I was in a state of panic when I went to the Dr so the diaz I was to help me sleep, eat and work (as I work full time) and I couldn't work without food or sleep. The cit for the general anxiety, but told me I may experience increased anxiety to begin with which wouldn't help at work so hence the diaz until I level out a bit.

I have been experiencing lots of physical symptoms from my anxiety for a couple of years, stomach problems and I was just exhausted from it all. I didn't want to be on any medication and was very hesitant to accept the help as I wanted to be "normal" and I felt as though accepting the help was like admitting defeat that I can't cope, I was almost embarassed really of the state I was in.

I'm just going to do what the Dr says and see what happens, I'm trying not to decide what medication I should or should not be on as I'm not a Dr, which is something I'm finding hard as I already said I haven't followed Dr's instruction with the diaz (surprise, surprise) smile I was told to take 3 a day, No way will I take 3 a day unless I absolutely felt I had to.

I took my second dose of Cit last night and feel fine today so far no nausea, slept fine feeling ok.

I always get out of bed (even if it's only to lie on the couch) Hope I feel normal again soon smile

I always try to maintain a positive attitude as I find that makes all the difference smile 

How are you now 7 months in smile xx

• Posted

Hi HootyHoo,

Sorry for delay in replying, but been busy painting outside front of house. One thing I have forced myself to do (when I felt like it) was to keep meself occupied and I have. Although, sometimes I would just lay or sit and vegetate until the downer passed.

I am off to the Dr tomorrow to hopefully begin to reduce from 40mg down to ? She has advised me that I may never come off or if/when I do I may find myself back on a low dose such as 10mg.

Keep posting, even the silliest thing can be sorted! (Or are we just nosey? Lol!).

I shall report back here tomorrow after the Dr's appt.

Keep going with the flowing!

Regards,

David 

• Posted

Hello David, 

Glad to hear you're keeping busy, I too was busy today, at work, find it helps istead of sitting down wallowing in misery smile  Had a good day. Night 4 of 10mg of cit tonight, no side effects to report except for difficulty falling and staying asleep although I'm like that anyway. Hope I am one of the lucky ones and manage to dodge the side effectssmile

Best of luck with the Dr tomorrow hope it goes well for you.

xx

• Posted

Yesterday was a pretty good day but today a little bit more anxious and tired, guess those are the normals of this pill, does it maybe also mean it could be working? I notice too that I have a side hurting me and of course right away I think the worst, kidneys or something awful. Going on my 5 th. week of 10 mg from 5 mg for the first 5 weeks. Thoughts ran through my head this morning trying to get out of bed, am I going to be me again. Sure hope real soon they work but maybe they already are seeing my day was good yesterday. Thoughts on that David, help give me hope, your writings are so good on here for people to read, thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.