Citalipram withdrawal - new to group

Posted , 9 users are following.

Help !!! 10 yrs ago due to a divorce the GP advised 20ng and then upped it to 40mg. 6 months ago I decided with my GP that I no longer needed to be on this and do started the withdrawl process .

If only I had been advised when being put on this medication what it would be like to stop and become Ng older and wiser I never would have agreed to it .

I have had very severe withdrawls each time I reduce the dose ! Severe nausea and headaches ( have had to keCe work ) . This usually occurs 2-3 days after the reduction

and does get better until I then reduce again .

I have just gone down to 5mg and the symptoms have been extremely severe ( another day off work ) .

Has anyone else had this and when will it end .

My next reduction will be in 2 weeks down to every 2nd day on 5 and then down to none.

Ps: I have no other symptoms eg: anxiety, teariness or depression .

Would love to hear from others .

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try probiotics as you have seratonin transmitters in your stomach too. Also others have used supplements of vitamins and minerals. Nobody is told about withdrawl coming off and it is information that is critical to making an informed decision when starting.
    • Posted

Hi Mari I totally agree with you on this, they don't advise on this before hand.

I only went on them because of my balance anxiety. Although slightly improved

I am frighted to come off them. Someone on this site recommended 5 HTP but I have not tried them yet. I also have nausea and tiredness. I am going away soon and feel that I should get a lower dose to take with me.It really is a delema. Hope you get sorted.

Thanks pat

• Posted

Thanks . I will look into that . It is the nausea that is really affecting me.
  • Posted

You have to take it slowly.  I spent 16 years on these meds and spent a year withdrawing by 5mg each time, spending about 1-2 months on each reduction.  I went from 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 crushing the last 2 doses.  Doing it this way I had no withdrawal at all ..... unlike the first time I withdrew some years before that and that time I dropped by 10mg each time over 6 months.  Too quick and had withdrawal.

Since I came off last August I've been taking 5-HTP and am doing well still.

• Posted

Hi katecogs your msg is reassuring, I don't want to stay on cit and I will try anything that may help my balance. So I am going to try to come off slowly when I return from hols. Thanks very much. Take care

• Posted

Hi Pat

Yes coming off slowly is the best way - I wasn't in a hurry to do it and found the smallest reduction spread over a good month was the best thing.  You can reduce by 2.5mg each time too, but you'd have to crush the pill up.

Hope it goes well.

K xx

• Posted

Hi katecogs Thanks for your reply. I am going to take it easy coming off take care pat
  • Posted

I really had no big side effects coming off celexa, lots with other Ssri such as pax hell and cymbalta, but everyone is different.  You can ask you dr if it's ok to switch to saint johns wart it's a natural Ssri.  You can cut them up and ajust the dosage.  I don't know if you got the electric shock side effect yet from coming down of the celexa.  You may when you sto completely If you did Saint johns wart would help, you would only need it for about a month or so.

• Posted

Hi Ingrid,

I've been on Cit for around the same time as you.  8 months ago, I went down 5 mg from 30 mg in an effort to come off Cit completely.  My withdrawals were bad.  Mostly physical, though I did have occasional desires to cry for the smallest things that I wouldnt normally get upset over.  Most physical symptoms diminished after a month.  It took about 3 months to fully start feeling like myself again mentally.  With my reduction has come some old symptoms from returning (anxiety/depression), which has held me back from continuing to lower my dose for now, however I struggled with these symptoms way before I started Cit. so it was expected that they could have returned.

Hang in there.

Best of luck to you smile

• Posted

Thanks Michelle

I am really struggling but will hang in there . Now doing 10mg 5mg alternate days .

It is just reassuring to know that my symptoms are normal .

Thanks

• Posted

I just want to say Thank You, Ingrid, for starting this discussion and to everyone who posted.

I have felt SO much worse in every way since I started the Celexa...only 10mg...with not one single bit of improvement at all. No, I am not willing to stay with it for up to 3 months in order to begin to feel better. I felt SO much better before I started this drug. And I DO NOT need to go through 'withdrawals' either.

For those of you for whom it works, that truly IS great... Kate, I am so glad to hear the 5HTP is working so well for you. Yup, good stuff.

Anyway, I've been hoping, praying, and Intending to get a good clear answer and this post did it for me. Best wishes to all of you!! Bless and Thanks to you all!

Betty

• Posted

I actually feel quite angry that my GP put me on this without any discussion about withdrawl .

I understand that everyone reacts differently but I am guessing from this discussion forum that withdrawl symptoms should be considered when making decisions around antidepresssants .

For me it has been and still is a very difficult withdrawl journey .

I cut down to 5mg and symptoms so bad had to leave work on day 3. Have now gone back to 10 and doing alternate days ie 10/5 which has settled things down until I see my dr next week .

I just want the be off them ....but also give myself a pat on the back for managing getting from 40 mg to 10 and eduring the overwhelming symptoms thus far....,

Full admiration to anyone on the withdrawl path .

Keep going ....

• Posted

If you've added any links they moderate it.  Happened to me.  Links have to be sent via private message.

rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Katecogs.  Could you tell me please howto private message ?? I am in the process of stopping Cit after 18 monthsand would be interested to read some of the links that people are referring to. Maybe they will help to ease the process a bit.Thanks, Lilyxx
    • Posted

Top of the screen where your name is in red letters, just underneath is Messages.  Click and follow that.

You can then message people for the links.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.