Citalipram withdrawal - new to group

Posted , 9 users are following.

Help !!! 10 yrs ago due to a divorce the GP advised 20ng and then upped it to 40mg. 6 months ago I decided with my GP that I no longer needed to be on this and do started the withdrawl process .

If only I had been advised when being put on this medication what it would be like to stop and become Ng older and wiser I never would have agreed to it .

I have had very severe withdrawls each time I reduce the dose ! Severe nausea and headaches ( have had to keCe work ) . This usually occurs 2-3 days after the reduction

and does get better until I then reduce again .

I have just gone down to 5mg and the symptoms have been extremely severe ( another day off work ) .

Has anyone else had this and when will it end .

My next reduction will be in 2 weeks down to every 2nd day on 5 and then down to none.

Ps: I have no other symptoms eg: anxiety, teariness or depression .

Would love to hear from others .

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think the problem is when you've taken the medication for a little while and it starts working, you feel better and are almost prompted to think everything's fine again and become tempted to stop the medication.

You have to be certain you're in a reasonably good position in life to be ready to quit. A few side effects ranging from moderate to severe can, I read, be expected from Citalopram withdrawal. If you can tolerate this knowing being mindful that it will not last forever (can be up to 12 weeks ,mild to moderate), then keep going! If however you're feeling like you would benefit more from continuing then just continue with Citalopram treatment.

• Posted

I'm currently just completing a fast taper. From 40mg, I've reduced (on consultation with doctor) 10mg every week for the last four weeks. Lucky me! So now I'm starting to feel like death warmed up. Mild flu-like symptoms, severe dizzyness and regular head 'zaps', upset painful stomach. I'm going to just rest and see how I go, determined to be free of these mind-numbing drugs. Have taken them for around 8 years but I fear life is passing me by, especially family. I also take 160mg Propranolol and will be seeing the doc in two weeks for an update and to look at reducing those next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.