Citalopram 10mg - it does work!

Posted , 17 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi I'm new to this site but been reading posts and what to share my experience... I'm 31 and have had anxiety and panic attacks for the last 5 years plus.. i got prescribed citalopram about a year ago but never took them... my honest thoughts were anti depressants are for losers, why do I need to take a tablet to make me feel normal? So i plodded on, then it got to the stage where my head was pounding all the time like someone had a grip around my brain.. felt dizzy constant dry mouth.. confusion... I thought I was dying and always thought I had something serious wrong with me... it got to the stage I was going to work but dreading it and then coming home and not even being socialble with my gf or child.. I stopped doing regular things with my friends and just wanted to be alone and close my eyes... it had turned into depression and it was getting to the stage where i didn't see the point of even living anymore I didn't want to feel this way and realistically prob wouldn't have the bottle to end it! I thought I'm going to go to the doctors for one last gonat how I can improve my life, I booked into see a different doctor as I thought it may help. As a grown 31 year old big lad I went in explained how I felt very emotionally, with absolutly no compassion the doctor replied "well I'm not a miracle worker I don't no what you expect me to do" I was shocked the attitude was not what I expected after a few other rude un thoughtful comments came my way I got up and left with nothing more than when I entered apart from the shock of what I just heard, to anyone with the nerve to do something to themselves I'm sure they would of walked out of there thinking that's it, no one can help even the doctor and carried on with there plans!! It however got me angry and I though I'm going to help myself and try these tablets, 4 weeks on now taking 10mg and I can honestly say I wish I had done it a year ago, I read the online comments and thought the side effects would be hell - I've not had any side effects? The tension headache was gone witching a few days and in general I feel like I'm engageing more with everyone, I've been out and just in general feel like I'm getting back to a normal life, I have the odd bad hour the odd bad day but they are the best thing I could of ever of took I've just got a prescription for 20mg as the doctor says they should give me the extra boost to get me fully back to me. Anyone who is thinking of taking but not sure take my advise don't think twice just take them and let your mind get back to normal so you can start to lead a normal life. Thanks for reading my story

7 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I'm glad you are doing well. I'm 3 weeks into 20mg on citalopram and it's hard at the moment. Anxiety and depression is worse but I know this is normal. I'm good your road to recovery continues xx

• Posted

Hi did you start in 20mg or have you gone up from 10? I guess we all have different reactions but there has to be light at the end of the tunnel.... surely ... stick at it and I'm sure it will work out for you 

• Posted

Hi. I started on 20 mg. Seems to be a daily battle at the moment. I don't think I will ever get better

• Posted

I used to think exactly the same thought I'd never get better, thought I was going to die... it will get better let the tablets work and don't think about them and things should start looking up... you need the support of people close to you 

• Posted

Thanks. People's advice and support in here us so helpful. To know that people went through what I'm going through but came out the other side gives me hope. Less anxious today. I really want to go my dose but know I need to give the meds at least 4 weeks to work. Xx

• Posted

Hi Daniel been reading your posts and so much I suffer with my self I have panic attacks and anxiety every day which I used to cope with. now I fee llike I'm going mad ; I have palpatations hot sweats headaches crying and when I'm on feet I'm physically ready bed.i have these tablets which I'm so frightened to take but I no I have to do something l. Regards Claire. X

• Posted

Hi Claire, 

Did you manage to start taking these I also have been given them my doctor has only given 5mg because I am petrified of taking them. I have 2 children and my partner is self employed so I spend a lot of time on my own. I have now lost all my friends after getting anxiety. I'm unable to work and rarely leave the house and if I do its not very far. I feel really restless all the time and also suffer with IBS which is mainly my anxiety trigger. I really want to start taking them but just petrified xx

• Posted

Hi there, yes I did take them give them a try its worth it all I suffered with was abit of nausea and a warm sensation on my chest wasn't in pain.

I was petrified to take them but they are helping me as today is the best day I had in a month.

• Posted

Hello Daniel, I am so happy these have helped you and you have not experienced any side effects, I also didnt suffer these when first taking them, just goes to show how differently we can all be affected by these. That doctors reaction is shocking., unfortunately that can happen., I wish you continued strength all the best to you.
  • Posted

I've had these prescribed today after battling panic attacks and having no sleep because of them. I've taken one today and actually had a nap for the first time in around 72 hours. I waited for the fear that kept me awake to strike and it never came, such a relief. I know they take a few weeks but I feel better already, the edges are softening and I feel more chilled out.  

• Posted

Well said! You are so so so fortunate that you escaped the side effects. I’m glad you are doing well. I’m on them 18 weeks at 10 mg and doing good. I had crazy side effects. 

Will😎

• Posted

Hi how are things got u now? I started them 4 weeks ago and I’m still trying to adjust. I’m hoping they will kick in fully soon 😢

• Posted

I'm new, so bear with me. I have had anxiety and depression for a few years, heightened after a nervous breakdown 28 months ago. Didn't go on antidepressants, as the nature of the reason caused me to be suicidal. (Disclosure of past sexual abuse to police and husband. Maternal Family since disowned me, justified thought process you would say for someone who waited 38 years for her moment) . Ploughed through on propranolol, diazepam, and went back to to work three months later. I work in the NHS. Two months ago I had another wobble, but I think my chronic anxiety never went away. I couldn't sleep for months, dizzy, felt couldn't walk from one side of the road to to the other without fainting. My job involves surgery, so you can imagine trying to keep that fasade of nothing is wrong going, eventually I hit rock bottom, after problems with my son who is awaiting autism assessment. My gp prescribed sertraline, I lasted four days. I've been on 10mg citalopram for six weeks now, I have good days and bad. Still feel anxious at times, dizzy etc. I'm going back to work next week, and the feelings have crept in slightly, but not as heightened. Gp recommended increase to 20mg, but I'm scared that I will be ill again with the side effects, I felt really depressed first four weeks. Do you think that it will affect me again, and I will be a mess at work with side effects, I would appreciate people's honest opinion about stay low or up the dose. Thank you

• Posted

Wow you have been through the mill. I can’t imagine how it must feel to have carried on so long with all of those feelings and symptoms. I have no experience in adjusting doses. I’ve only been on mine 5 weeks and still have ups and downs. I have heard however that if you change it you shld make smaller changes to ease yourself in. I hope it starts to kick in for you and give you some relief. I’m still struggling from day to day but a lot better than before I started them. 😖

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.