Citalopram 14 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I know this had probably been discussed somewhere on these forums but I wanted to post one for myself to get some positive replies, or helpful at least.

I started taking the Citalopram about 14 weeks ago, I was at 10mg for 3 weeks, then the doc upped it to 20mg, which I've been on for about 11 weeks. I was taking it for extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and some depression. Well I can say the anxiety is much better now, and I've not had a panic attack in quite a bit but I feel like something else is going on now, I feel what I think is more serious depression, never really had that too bad in the past until now. So, there has been some good and some bad. I feel so disconnected, overwhelmed, and just weird. Which doesn't seem to be getting better. Doctor said that he wants to increase my dose to 40mg but from what I've read on here and from actual peoples experiences that 11 weeks at 20mg might not be enough and I want to wait it out, but I also want to feel better and not waste another month or two.

Also, I've lost 16.5 pounds already after starting the celexa and still don't have much of an appetite. So, for those of you that are familiar with the Citalopram, what are your opinions? Possibly increase like he wants? Maybe try a different one because this might not be the one for me?

Any comments are much appreciated.

Thank You.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh and I forgot to add, that for the last couple months my emotions have been flat, not really feeling much at all, and haven't cried or anything which is bothersome for me.

• Posted

stick it out, i'm nine weeks in and feel a lot better.

Stay on that dose & keep going!

• Edited

Hi, I personally would wait till the depression subsided a bit before you thinking about increasing, has your doctor taken 40 mg himself? IT's a very powerful drug, doctors try to increase dosages far to easy for my liking.

• Posted

I agree, that's why I am so apprehensive about it. Hes wanted me to go from 20 to 30 to 40 over the course of 2 months but I've chosen to stick with the 20mg. Maybe its just working a little bit slower for me, I have noticed one positive so far and that is the anxiety has almost gone away so it must be doing something. The depression though, that I didn't have so much before and seems worse now. This is so confusing 😦

• Posted

Yeh its a strange powerful drug, you feel depressed as the mind is 'hightened' so you start to think more & get some self realisation, even though you can feel dreamy & emotionless. Then when you feel good & try to reduce , it can seem like your doing great for a few weeks, then all of the sudden, it can knock you on your arse! So get used to your 20mg to you feel like your coping before you rush into changing the dose, I have been on it a couple of years now & sometimes it still surprises me.

• Posted

The only sensible advice i've had is from these forums. I've had the theory from numerous doctors but they all have differing opinions.

I'd listen to the others on here that have actually experienced it.

• Posted

hi, iv been on cit now for over 3 years, the depression side effect was the last to go for me, but i too thought it would never go, its a very slow working drug for some people, i didn't count the weeks but months for amazing results, just listen and take advice off most people on this forum and youl get there, most doctors dont know much, and people suffer for their decisions, i was lucky, my doc said 8 weeks on 10, then 20 for 8 weeks, 30 for 12 weeks but i felt strange on 30 so came back to 20, first day back on 20 and bang felt great, stick with it, good luck

• Posted

These guys are telling you what 90% will on here. It sucks when we suffer from these horrible diseases known as anxiety and depression.

I have been going to psychotherapy for 5 months and feel as though it has really helped me move along. I would not advise increasing fosage just yet.

• Posted

This sounds all so familiar, I was straight on 20mg .... I felt better by week 4-5 some up and down days but overall better. I got to week 8-9 & I started feeling flat, low mood, detachment, overwhelming sadness. This all started to set my anxiety off again. I spoke to my GP who suggested I up to 30mg. I spent the best past of 2 weeks putting it off after reading reviews on here....in hindsight I just prolonged what I was going through. I increased to 30mg, mild side effects for 3-4 days and was so much better for it & still am now.

Best but hardest thing to remember is everyone can only go on experience on here, we are all so different & react differently to these meds, so I guess you need to try and go with your gut!! I still have bad days but I would say I am 90% back to myself again. You will get there too 😃

• Posted

That is almost exactly what I've been going through. The anxiety started getting better by week 5-6 but this lingering depression, and some ocd thoughts that come and go but I feel like now, the flat emotionless feeling and the feeling of uncomfort isn't getting better but almost feels as if that is getting worse, which is giving me a little anxiety again and of course that bothers me. I've had a script to go to 30 for a month now, and he just upped it again to 40 this month which I've not started either. I didn't know if I should wait or not. Ugh, this is all a little overwhelming to say the least. I just want to feel better and want to go do things again. How will I know if 30 is too much if I do decide to try it? What will be the symptoms to look for?

• Edited

In terms of too much, I'm not sure but I believe if you google the med you can get info on how to know if it's too much.

I was the same and toyed with the idea about increasing for 2 weeks and like I say, I just got worse ans worse like I had went from an anxious agitated mess to a low depressed zombie. So I decided to bite the bullet and increase and it was for the best 😉 I think an increase will just give you similar side effects to when you started but maybe bot as severe, for me it was mild and only 3-4 days.

• Posted

MOANEY, HOW ARE YOU DOING WITH IT NOW? ARE YOU STILL GLAD YOU INCREASED TO 30mg? I JUST INCREASED TO 30 FOUR DAYS AGO AND COULD USE SOME FEEDBACK. I WAS ONLY ON 20mg FOR SIX WEEKS AND IMPROVED A LOT BUT THEN CRASHED AT SIX WEEKS WHICH IS WHY I INCREASED TO 30 (AFTER DISCUSSING WITH DR OF COURSE) I AM TAKING FOR ANXIETY.

• Posted

I started initially at 20. Changed docs and he informed me that lower fisages were more for anxiety. I've now tapered to 10 mg and so far it us eorking out well

• Posted

Hey Laura,

I'm still doing well. I blip quite a bit a few days before my period which doesn't seem to be letting up. It's like anxiety mixed with major PMS 10 fold for 3-4 days. I think if I was on less CIT this wld probably let up a bit. I'm not at the stage I feel ready to taper down tho. I am well 90% of the time so I just cope with the blips. I still take a diazpam if I feel really bad its usually at night I struggle with sleep. I think you may need to allow a couple of weeks to feel the effect.

The problem is a lot of our problems are it's all in our heads and how we can control our emotions until it works it's wonders  Hope you notice a diff soon xx

• Posted

Thanks. Me too. Im second guessing increasing so soon and hope this anxiety isnt worse bc 30mg dose is too much for me. By day 5 on 20mg, my anxiety was lessening, albiet slowly, but on day five of 30mg, its just as bad as the first day I upped it, if not worse.

• Posted

I totally believe that the lower doses are better for anxiety. I initially was taking celexa for anxiety and panic attacks and I was on 20 mg for 6 months, let me tell ya the anxiety did go and panic attacks at that dose BUT so did all of my emotions, and I got dp/dr, intrusive thoughts, etc. I ended up reducing to 15mg and I felt a difference almost right away. I've been doing really well since!

It's just finding that right dose and sticking with it, and it works wonders!

Best Wishes!

• Posted

great to hear this, i was on 30 for 6 months, went down to 20 then bang felt great straight away, i take mine at night so when i woke the next morning i was so much better, good going grounded.

• Posted

Grounded, sent you a message last week. Would love to hear back if you get a chance 😃

• Edited

Yes! that is exactly what happened for me. I was on that 20mg for 6 months also and soon as I went down to 15mg I felt better almost right away, and really good within a week so it really didn't take to long. And since then my feeling better has been consistant. Thankfully!

• Posted

At 6 weeks that may not have been a crash, but more of a blip, a bad day, bad week. Most of us go through that in the beginning it's very normal. Our doctors initial reaction to that is always 'lets try increasing the dose' which isn't always good especially with anxiety and panic issues. I think we have to sometimes put some of our own input into this and tell them what we want to do. I would have stuck with the 20mg for awhile longer and see if the days start getting more consistant on having better days. If the 30 is making you feel yucky I would definitely consider going back down and stay with that for a bit.

Best Wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.