Citalopram 14 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I know this had probably been discussed somewhere on these forums but I wanted to post one for myself to get some positive replies, or helpful at least.

I started taking the Citalopram about 14 weeks ago, I was at 10mg for 3 weeks, then the doc upped it to 20mg, which I've been on for about 11 weeks. I was taking it for extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and some depression. Well I can say the anxiety is much better now, and I've not had a panic attack in quite a bit but I feel like something else is going on now, I feel what I think is more serious depression, never really had that too bad in the past until now. So, there has been some good and some bad. I feel so disconnected, overwhelmed, and just weird. Which doesn't seem to be getting better. Doctor said that he wants to increase my dose to 40mg but from what I've read on here and from actual peoples experiences that 11 weeks at 20mg might not be enough and I want to wait it out, but I also want to feel better and not waste another month or two.

Also, I've lost 16.5 pounds already after starting the celexa and still don't have much of an appetite. So, for those of you that are familiar with the Citalopram, what are your opinions? Possibly increase like he wants? Maybe try a different one because this might not be the one for me?

Any comments are much appreciated.

Thank You.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Stick with it.

My doctors gave me nothing but bad advice. All i would say from the sheer murder i've been through is to just believe. Believe in the medication and the science behind it.

It works.........eventually.

All the talking in the world achieves nothing when you wake up next morning.

Take the pills & be patient.

• Posted

I stuck with it, the post was 3 months ago and since then I had reduced instead of increasing and almost right away it felt better! I think all the bad effects were from taking too high of a dose. It's been a little over a month now at the reduced dose and each day is more consistantly feeling good and my anxiety has been minimal (normal).

But you are correct stick with it, ride out the waves until everything calms and the sun starts to shine. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.