Citalopram: 20mg for 8 weeks then 30mg for 2 weeks - feel much worse!

Posted , 247 users are following.

Hi everyone. First time posting here. I am worried that I feel much worse after an increase in my Citalopram dosage from 20mg to 30mg.

[u]Some symptoms I've been experiencing:[/u]

- insomnia and bad sleep during the night

- tiredness and "brain fog" during the day

- persistent anxiety and circular thoughts

- feeling reckless and self-destructive

- hopelessness, feeling lost and directionless

- unable to write or be creative for my studies

- panic attacks and chest pains, which have never subsided throughout my 10 weeks on Citalopram

Please can anyone offer some advice or share their experience. I just really want to know that it gets better and that my life will improve on the increased dose. I am really not coping right now and can't see a way forward.

Thank you.

5 likes, 913 replies

913 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, I’m new.  I’ve found these comments so useful and encouraging.  I am on week 8 of fluoxetine for anxiety and my mood is good but I’m still having lots of physical symptoms and jittery days.  Trying to be patient and thankfully I’m almost always fine in the evenings which gives me some respite. I would also like to know which book it is that is so helpful please.  Thank you all for being a friend at a tricky time, my poor husband is sick of hearing about it.   ?? 

• Posted

Sorry, I meant Rosie Roo cheesygrin xx
    • Posted

Hi katecogs and Lois

I went up to 30mg three weeks ago and I do feel like there is some difference, my anxiety isn’t as bad but I still wake up feeling shakey and frightened. I’m still on zoplicone 3.5mg to keep me sleeping through the night but I know it’s in the back of my mind that my parents are going away next week and they’ve been great support for me and my daughter through this difficult time and when they return two weeks later the doctor is going to try and take me of the zoplicone so I’m frightened that the night time panic attacks will return. Thank you both of you for your advice for what feel like a nightmare that I’ve been living.x

• Posted

Hi Gemma

Glad to hear the 30mg is a bit better.  Meds take a while for you to start feeling well and often you take the anxiety with you through recovery.  For me personally morning anxiety was the last symptom to go, but by then it had eased a lot and I was getting lots of good days.

Why are you being taken off the zoplicone before you're better?  If its helping you through this difficult time surely its best staying on it for a while?  Have a chat with your doctor and don't forget it is up to you - its your body.

K x

• Posted

Hi Gemma, 

I understand your worry about the zopliclone. If you don't feel ready share your concerns with your gp.  I have been on 2.5 gram for the last 6 months. I had a difficult time with taking meds every night but my insomnia (I simply would not sleep) due to the extreme anxiety and depression was so severe that my doctor told me to just have faith in her and to listen to her advice. Taking the zopliclone has been a god send. I know I will get of it when I am a 100% better but for now it gives me enough hours of sleep at least not making things worse with sleep deprivation as the days are already difficult enough when you go through an experience like this. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Katecogs, the doctor won’t let me stay on it, he says that I will become dependent on it and then I’ll need a higher dose as my body will have adjusted to the lower dose. I’m going to c how I am though I’m doing better but I can’t be rushed it’s just going to take time isn’t it.x
    • Posted

Hi Gemma

Mmmm I imagine its ok for short periods and helping you through a difficult phase - depends on how long you've been on it.  But yes, don't be rushed - meds need time to adjust as well as your body.

K x

• Posted

Ziplocone does not give you pleasure.i don't know why doctor's say is addictive..addiction happens with dopemine releasing drugs..

• Posted

It’s hard because when we suffer with anxiety what the doctor says can frighten us. I think it’ll be around eight weeks on the zopiclone now for me, but he said if I take it for too long my body will adjust then it will stop working then I’ll need a higher dose, it sounds like I’d become a drug addict by the way he makes it sound. I’m doing so well as I am at the moment so it is a scary thought that the medication will change in any way. I’m trying not to worry myself about it but it’s hard when I really don’t want to go backwards again.x
    • Posted

I totally understand don't let the doctors influence your recovery...

• Posted

Hi Katecogs,

This thread is amazing and has given me so much reassurance at a frustrating and difficult time. Would it be possible to have the links to the resources/courses/books that have worked for so many people on this thread please. Really appreciate it. xx

• Posted

Hi! May I have the name of the book and website as well. I've been on citalopram 15mg (worked my way up from 2.5mg because I'm so med sensitive). It's been about 4 months now, but I think I'm finally getting better! Was on Cymbalta for about 10 years before. I'm always looking for encouraging reading though! Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Vicky

I'll private message you the info as I can't post a link on the public site.

K x

• Posted

Hi cherylcheryl

Yes I'll private message you with the link.  Hey thats good you've worked your way up through doses - good way to do it.

K x

• Posted

Could you also send me info on this book I keep reading about in these forums? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.