Citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

My GP discontinued my Sertraline this week. And has prescribed citalopram, tiredness/sleepiness and dry mouth are my side effects so far. Is this usual? My head feels saved out. Thanks

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Edited

So...one has to wonder why "patient" has dedicated a whole page to "Citalopram"...not all medications have a chat room on here.

Be prepared to have the symptoms you have..plus gaining weight...and then when your sick of the sypmtoms and quit it...be prepared for a crappy withdrawal.

• Posted

Oh dear, what an attitude eh? I think u will find there is a forum chatting about Sertraline on "Patient". I'm sure others will be more helpful/informative

• Edited

Attitude comes from taking Citalopram and being harmed by it...

I would not stay on this drug....if you do...good luck

• Edited

A NON-SSRI.

Anything but an SSRI.

SSRIs can in some people cause more anxiety...mania....restlessness..which Citalopram did for me...Plus SSRIs cause weight gain.

The first time I took Citalopram....for the 1st 3 months..I thought it was helping me...I took it for 8 YEARS.

I recently stopped it due to a medication interaction and I have never felt more CALM than I do now...without it....

However, I am on another drug for depression that is not an SSRI...and I am happy with it for now - Wellbutrin

• Posted

and besides the dry mouth and tiredness..I had headache (mild) and feeling like I had to poop all the time - to no avail.
    • Posted

I'd welcome weight gain. All SSRIs produce side effects including anxieyy, but after only 4 days I'm sleeping really well and no problems with appetite. Which class of drug does Wellnutrin belong to! Is it an SNRI? Because the noradrenaline will activate rather than sedate, as citalopram is doing to me. Don't touch tricyclics.......horrendous beasts

• Posted

ok. so you are happy with the Citalopram...than I don't understand the post..best of luck to you.

• Posted

Definitely it's worked wonders for me and so many others on this page, please give it a go you can judge for yourself x

• Posted

I gave it a go for 8 years..

And it is not a good med...if you can't tolerate SSRIs

How you know you can't tolerate them?

More excitability...more restlessness....increasing anger 

• Posted

OK like I said not everyone gets away with it, but I'm going on my experience and it's definitely good for me

• Posted

Totally agree with you Missy. You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink and there seems a lot of people on this forum with more complaints rather than praise for this drug. Personally the side effects  far out way the benefits but people sometimes have to experience for themselves. I am a much happier person off it than on it. 
    • Posted

hi...but i do understand..cause I took it for 8 years..it does have benefits...like it made me more confident....less paranoid....less sad.

But, I thought I was just a high strung, high anxiety personality...which I AM...but when I stopped taking Citalopram...I came down about 100 notches...and then I read about SSRIs and realized all this time Citalopram was making me WORSE.

• Posted

Sorry it affected you that way. This is my 5th day and I can't get through any day without a two hour afternoon sleep!

• Posted

well...since you felt so strongly about posting about it...maybe you should change the meds?

Or..keep going..side effects for me usually disappear in about 2weeks...I would say if you are still feeling this way in another week..think about changing.

• Posted

I think I will keep going....this is only day 5, and they do say that SSRIs make you feel worse before better.  I'm just glad it hasn't caused insomnia!  I'm only on 20mg, and my GP wants me to go up to 30 on Wed and 40 the week after!!!!  

• Posted

ok keep going..and when it causes you to be manic...so hyper...and insomnia...please recognize..it is this drug.

It took me so long to realize it....just don't want to see you take so long.

Keep on top of your symptoms...if you feel better great...if you sleep well..great...It did do that for me for many years...and then it stopped working.

• Posted

Misssy

It worked for me for about 10 years then stopped working I tried loads of other ad's with no joy then back to citalapram witch made me worse now I'm on week 9 of escitalapram and still struggling low mood anxiety feel like I'm stuck in my head its horrible ??

• Posted

than I just don't see the need for you to be on an SSRI.

I would ask for a different med sad

• Posted

SSRIs can be stimulants to people they don't work for.

causing anxiety...restlessness..anger episodes...mania

• Posted

how are you getting on with citalopram iv been put on them 5th day and hope they kick in

• Posted

my 5 day aswell and feeling so tired and feel sick in the morning plus normal side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.