Citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

My GP discontinued my Sertraline this week. And has prescribed citalopram, tiredness/sleepiness and dry mouth are my side effects so far. Is this usual? My head feels saved out. Thanks

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm sorry you feel this way but it will pass, I've been on cit for nearly 6 month now and my life is so much better, I couldn't leave my home or do day to day things with my kids this medication is fantastic, you just have to give it time, some people are different and don't find it helps I had side affects for 2/3 wks and then it was fine, good luck and wish you all the best xx

• Posted

Thanks Michelle.....as you say each med affects everyone differently. I'm pleased Cit has helped you. I'm normally fine but I've bn widowed, lost both breasts to cancer, lost my only brother, had blood clots on my lungs, pneumonia and labyrinthitis....all in a short time, so I'm seeking a little help. I thank you for yours x

• Posted

Awww I'm so sorry to hear that, you sound a very strong person, I really hope this medication is for you hunny, someone is always hear on this forum to talk and if ever you want to talk you can always private message ?? good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi Iris

Citalopram is a good medication - everyone is different and we all suit different meds depending on our body type.  We all have different experiences with these meds too, but yes tiredness / sleepiness and dry mouth are typical side effects.  You may get other side effects are time goes by (I seemed to get a different one each week) :-D  But these meds were good for me and I recovered on them after being ill for 16 years.    I've stayed well ever since.

I hope they go well for you.  Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Iris

Citalopram is a good medication - everyone is different and we all suit different meds depending on our body type.  We all have different experiences with these meds too, but yes tiredness / sleepiness and dry mouth are typical side effects.  You may get other side effects are time goes by (I seemed to get a different one each week) :-D  But these meds were good for me and I recovered on them after being ill for 16 years.    I've stayed well ever since.

I hope they go well for you.  Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

K xx

• Posted

Good Morning Iris,

Well, there are some differences of opinions to your post! It certainly got em going didn't it! I am glad that every so often we do get the chance to discuss everything and not just how wonderful Cita is, which it is for some!

Whatever the reason why this forum was set up I do not know or care! I became ill 19 months ago, if it was not for a great GP, a loving partner (now Fiancee), Citalopram and this forum, I would not be here! My life was upside down because I was burning myself out in a job where my fellow managers and a few members of staff and volunteers didn't give a sh*t. I was drinking, smoking, eating unhealthy processed foods to get from one day to the next and my days were numbered! This was all to keep up with a contemporary lifestyle that is not condusive to the human one. I wrote the following to someone else earlier and as I have things to do I have coped and pasted to save time, but it is relevant.

"When reading these posts in reply to you, specifically, always remember that we are all very different and the use of the word unique is not an over statement by any means. Therefore, what is good or bad for one is not necessarily good or bad for anyone else, of course there can be similarities as we are all human, but that is where it ends. Being a one off never to be repeated individual brings a certain responsibility that we have for our physical and mental health and how we interact with others. I, as many here always say, your GP should know you and hopefully is knowledgeable of sticking plasters for the brain and therefore in knowing you and with regular appointments can only decide which way forward is best.  This may or may not mean changing meds. However, like any good knowledgeable GP and us mere mortals here always (bang on about) say, you have to give it time to begin with and if and only if, there is an issue with you or the med then a change may be for the better. Only you and your GP can discuss and decide this".

Please do not worry that you have started a (good) discussion that, due to others, may have got a little touchy or bitter. It is not your fault. Everyone needs help and this is what we are about on this forum and we embrace everyone, here because they came here in the first place as they need help, solidarity, had a bad experience on this med, they may have come here by mistake, or because they just trawl looking for an outlet to vent their individual issues. Seriously, we have had some bizarre posts, but these are not like any of those I must add.

Now, that is why we have this forum, probably the best forum in the world! Purely and honestly because we need it and in turn we can help others too - that is all!.

Keep posting reading, asking and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hello David. Thank you for your sincere reply, and ind words. After 2 years of utter stress, a bereavement, a major illness where I needed resuscitation, and two nasty illnesses this year, I decided that the meds I was taking were just not for me, and my GP swapped last week.  Already I'm feeling optimistic after only 5 days but I realise I might be in for a bit of a bumpy ride.  I have been a widow for 9 years now, and got nobody to sound off on!  The side effects are less than I expected, and I think possibly the tiredness/fuzzy head are the worst......dry mouth is easy to cope with.  I'm normally a get-up-and-go person, travelled to NZ 6 times alone to see my son, but right now a 35 min drive has tired me out!  I did value my independence, and hope I will again very soon, but right now I find depression a lonely place to be.  My hobbies are set aside for the time being of course.  So, David, Thankyou for your kind and very eloquent reply.  I hope you are very well now, and I do love your positive attitude.  Thanks again,

Iris

• Posted

You are more than welcome Iris and Welcome to the Club!

Like you and many others I went nowhere (in my case - remember not everyone goes this long) for about 4months. Hobbies and everythiing in general were also ignored. However, I started to get a grip and decorated the house outside and in, went back to art, design and historical research. As you may have guessed it was a bit full on all this, but I was not manic about it!

To be honest I found the whole experience bewildering having not had any real illnesses, let alone mental health issues, over the years. I have always worked hard, I am an ex-military rufty tufty and always been a happy chap, writing and taking part in comedy sketches for charity, mate, etc. So, when I suddenly hit a brick wall and slid down I only just got through it and managed to get up on me feet again. Mind you as I mentioned earlier there are a lot of people to thank.

I didn't mention about the necessity of an emergency duvet in your favourite room outside the bedroom, did I?! This is for the days you only just make it out of bed and that is about it. For when all you want to do is crawl under it and curl up, block the world out, sleep, listen to music or watch feel good TV. NO soaps, reality (not) trashy stuff and only listen to or watch the news (if you can bear it) once a day! There is nothing wrong without comfort food if you lose yer appetite a little either.

Sorry to here about your loss. I lost my next eldest and dearest brother at Christmas at the age of 64, he was my tormentor who became my mentor and like my parents I so dearly miss him.

A friend of mine sent me these words which made me smile (and cry), but also gave me strength. 

"The passing of a loved one leaves a heartache that no one can heal,

but love leaves a memory that no one can steal"

I am as well as can be expected and getting there little by little every day! A bit knackered having just returned to employmeny after 19 months, but it is a new job on my terms and part time to start!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and if you don't get speedy replies when you post here, don't worry they'll get around to it, it is just they take a while to get out of bed sometimes! Hahahahahahaha!

Regards,

David

• Posted

David, you sound like a gem........I will send you a pm
    • Posted

on it looks like they e withdrawn the PM facility.  I open well with my life...my daughter had 13 hrs of brain surgery, husband died, I had both breasts taken to cancer in 2008, and reconstructed in 2010, and then my son (ex RAF) took his family off to NZ.  I coped with it all.  I love cooking, gardening and crafting, but they are on the back burner now since my brother died in Jan '15.  Then I was rushed into hospital a year ago with blood clots on lungs.......this year it has been pneumonia and labyrinthitis on top of depression.  I had been taking Sertraline for a year, but it didn't put the icing on the cake for me....low mood and no motivation. I'm hoping citalopram delivers for me.....I read about people who are well within 6-8 weeks.  This seems like a long journey for me.  My son retired from the RAF in 2010 at the age of 40.  He worked first of all for Lockheed Martin, and was sub-contracted to the Army.  He then found out how much LM were charging for him, so now he is a civilian worker....he earns much more now and the army are saving money!  I've had depression before, mainly through the years of teaching.  My memory tells me that on each occasion I would wake up one morning and feel fine again.  A year has not done that for me on another SSRI. I resent that, because I've been so independent since I was widowed.

i do like the quote your friend sent you, and I particularly like what you said about your brother being your tormentor then mentor...an excellent use of words there, and total opposites!  

Ive got a feeling that citalopram is going to make me sleep loads in the next month or so.....I have to increase to 30 next week and 40 the week after OMG!  Enjoy your week David....if you can get out of bed!  Iris

• Posted

I can identify with duvet days....ft me it's been the days when I get out of bed, get washed and dressed, come downstairs to sit in front of tv for 12 hours. Ahhhhhh I've found the little envelope on your last message. Jesus I thought I was going senile!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.