citalopram

Posted , 10 users are following.

Been on citalopram 20mg for 8 weeks now after being prescribed this for my low mood swings possibly after a stressfull couple of work years.

After initial very nasty side affects especially the first week where I nearly stopped taking as I couldnt get of the couch had complete loss of appetite & thought I had completly lost my mind. Things calmed down by week three & I felt things were getting better then I had a relapse for for three or four days with morning depression & sweaty nights, This passed & I had a good couple of weeks & thought I'm there at last but on week 8 I've hit another low , Have no motivation to do anything & dont look forward to any of things I enjoyed so much before.Mornings are particularly bad, I'm not sure if its me or the drug anymore, Never had morning depression before, Ive made an appointment with the doctors to see if I might need to reduce or increase. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is absolutely normal - 8 weeks is still early days.  Took me 6 months to recover on 20mg and morning anxiety was the last thing to disappear for me.  This is just another relapse and will also pass.  Keep going and you'll find in time these blips will eventuall cease to happen and you'll have the rest of your days full of happiness and anxiety/depression free.

Increasing isn't the answer, as it doesn't matter what dose you're on you'll still get these relapses from time to time.

You need so much patience on these meds ..... and when you feel your patience has run out, you have to find some more and just continue.

K x

• Posted

Thanks K

That's very encouraging , I'll try & stay positive & hope things turn around.

• Posted

Have had very few side effects from Citalopram except increased anxiety for about 5 weeks. The had to put me on Clonaxepam to keep my heart rate down.

I have been on both for 3 months and feeling very well.

• Posted

Glad to see its working for you , I'll keep at it for now & hope it continues to work for you.

• Posted

Always here to have a moan with I know exactly what it's like it's hard going but we are strong

• Posted

Thanks , although I wouldn't wish these feelings on anyone it feels less lonely knowing others have gone or are going through this & have come out the other side, six months ago I didn't have a care in the world & would give anything to get some of the joy back.

• Posted

I was on 20mg for a 18 months, it worked fairly ok. But recently I moved to another state. Big change, so my high stress and anxiety started to creep in . My dose was increased to 40mg. Been on that for 5 weeks now and not seeing much improvement. I wake up with anxiety and terrible irritable bowels. I have to use the toilet as soon as I get up. I lack energy and the will to do anything.

Has anyone here has increase their dose and has similar effects as if they were starting over?

• Posted

Wonder why they didn't make it 30mg with something for anxiety

• Posted

My problem is depression than anxiety. I don't know if that made the difference.

• Posted

Yes me although i cant pin point what made me fall apart all happend in a wk changed to sertraline first day today.
  • Posted

I agree with Kate, stick with it. I am just starting week 9 and like you I posted about wobbles at week 8! I am on the right path but this drug does need time to give full effects.

I too was ready to quit but I e come so far and things are improving. I also suffer with morning anxiety really bad to the point in on the toilet 3 times before I leave for work. I think though because I anticipate it will happen it does. Don't torture yourself and try run with it(easier said than done) I am still finding it tough but don't want to change or up my dosage too soon to be back in the same place o was before which was not good.

You can do it 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.