Citalopram and amitriptyline

Posted , 19 users are following.

Has anyone taken the two tablets together. Does amitriptyline help anxiety. Any advice would be so helpful.

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello hollie. Amitriptyline will help anxiety.
    • Posted

My doctor gave me it today I'm already on 20mg citalopram. I'm sat here just starring at the packet to scared to take them. Will I get side affects ?? X
  • Posted

Hello,

I have been on amitriptyline for 9 months at 50 mg for migraine prevention. I also had anxiety. Yes, this drug works well for anxiety. However I take it in the evening as it does cause drowsiness. I recently cut back to 25 mg and still have migraines and anxiety under control.

Seek physician advice for taking multiple medications.

Cheers!

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. The doctor gave me them today. Told me to take my citalopram in the morning and these at night. I've only been given 10mg just scared of side effects x
    • Posted

I have recently (a few weeks ago) been put on this too. I was wondering when its first started until your body adjusts can it cause a fast heart beat?
  • Posted

I have been taking sertraline 100mg per day long term. My GP has now reduced my dose to 50mg daily and added amitriptyline which I am gradually increasing from 20 mg to a maximum dose of 75 mg. I really hope this works ! I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and also clinical depression. Going through a really bad patch at the moment with all three. Anybody having similar problems ? I would appreciate any advice you may have.
  • Posted

Hi again hollie. Take the medication as prescribed by your doctor and see how it affects you. It will be better if you aren't doing anything this weekend so if you feel drowsy you can just take it easy. Remember this medication doesn't work instantly. You have to take it for a few weeks sometimes before you feel any benefit.
  • Posted

Cons:

Weight gain sad

dry mouth

drowsiness

Pros:

Decreased anxiety

Better sleep

Eliminate migraines

ive read to keep salt limited while taking amitriptyline.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I just want to feel normal again. I've been given 10mg of amitriptyline which is the lowest dose I've just taken it now really panicking. It hoping will help me x
    • Posted

hello hollieplease can you let me know how you feel in the morning after taking it, thank you x
    • Posted

Yes will do. I'm feeling ok at the moment so hoping to sleep well tonight xx
  • Posted

There are so many side effects with all these medication. I believe that that Amitriptyline does cause anxiety.

I do not know the other edication you are on. Just be careful and research all meds

• Posted

hello again hollie, how did you get on with the Amitriptyline last night?
    • Posted

Hi. Only side effect I had was tingling in my body I slept better and woke up fine this morning also had my citalopram a couple of hours ago and feel fine. Are you starting the medication then ? Xx
    • Posted

That's good news hollie. Hope you feel well rested. Hopefully you will continue to feel the same every day. Fingers crossed 
    • Posted

Thank you. Just hope Side effects don't creep up from now. Just want my anxiety to stop and headaches xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.