Citalopram and mirtazapine combo

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

New to this. My gp prescribed me 20m of citalopram last week. I have taken it before (10mil) with no side effects but this time I am having extreme anxiety and insomnia. I have gone to a private gp now and he has given me 15m mirtazapine to help me sleep. One day on that and no sleep yet but I feel more relaxed. Any thoughts / info here? Is it safe? How long should I take the mirt for?

Any help would be great

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi gavin13136 I am in exactly the same boat. I’ve been on Mirtazapine 45mg for 3 years and they have really helped me with my depresssion and insomnia. Then in February I started having terrible panic attacks and anxiety. I was prescribed 2mg Diazepam to help and CBT but it’s jist been getting worse. Then last Wednesday I was put on 10mg Citalopram to take in the morning with the Mirtazapine at night. Like you I was worried about side effects and whether it’s safe. All medications can have side effects and I’ve had a little nausea, headaches and hot flushes but they are standard Citalopram effects and should calm down after a couple of weeks. I’ve also come across a significant number of people taking Mirtazapine with an SSRI like Citalopram so trust my GP and Psychiatrist. I was also told your anxiety can go up at first but will settle and this is perfectly normal. Hang in there and if it doesn’t settle go see your GP. I wish you luck man 👍🏻  

• Posted

Duh just realised I replied twice! 😐 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.