Citalopram -Can the Beneficial Effect Wear Off?

Posted , 25 users are following.

I can't remember when I started taking Citalopram for anxiety, perhaps a year ago and I take 60mg a day. I built this dose up gradually so although I felt some improvement it was some months before I felt a lot better. I have a long-term problem so my expectations weren't high but I was pleased with the results.

However, lately I've been feeling very anxious again for no obvious reason and finding it hard to cope. Could it be that Citalopram doesn't work when taken for a year or so? I am hoping this might be a passing phase but would like to read of other people's experiences. I am reluctant to bother my GP since I have been managing so much better.

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi kain....did you try to look for the trigger point that causes your anxiety....you should sched appointment maybe you need to increase the dose but hopefully you maintain in 10mg like i idid....
  • Posted

Hey guys thanks for your help guys I'm trying I'm hoping its just a bump unfortunately today i havnt really felt any better today eating is tough but i think it's getting better its just the constant anxious feeling never leaves i cant fuction for the most part its real hard but i have until the 27th until i can see my doc so if i can calm down before then i know i wont need the increase but if i cant then i have no choice really.Im hoping Cbt helps thursday.
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear that you're in pain.  Depression is an untangible and horrendous thing often feels like you can't cope with everyday life.  I've been having panic attacks since I think my teenage years and well into my adult years.  I'm on 40g a night and recently I've been wondering the same things as you.  This is because sometimes I have panic attacks where my stomach feels strange and then I hyperventilate and burst out crying.  Often my only thought is to get the hell out of wherever I am and to be alone in the dark as I don't want anybody to see me.  What is it like for you?  

I have seen a couple of nurses but will now see a Doctor.  I think a lot of it is psycholgical and can be anything from a change in light, to even the tiniest amounts of alchohol.  Normally (hahah normally, sometimes) I get them when I'm tired and have had alchohol.  I have about 10 hours sleep a night and have to eat little and often.  Eating can help.

What do you do to calm your self down?  Do you get spasms?

I've ordered myself The CBT Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Using CBT to Overcome Depression, Anxiety, Stress, Low Self-Esteem and Anger.  

I don't think just pills is the answer.  I've written a book about my experiences living and working abroad with a chapter on the numerous times I've had panic attacks which really helped me in the long run.

Can you remember how is started? 

Please talk to you GP.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

A fellow sufferer.

• Posted

Hello miss. My name is mark and I’m on AD,s citalopram 20 mg. mine is a slightly different matter. 

I totally agree about your comment on alcohol because ALCOHOL IS A DEPRESSANT and I’ve cut my intake by miles and feel a bit better. It’s been 2 years since your last post and I was wondering if you’re ok now.

• Posted

I've been on celexa about 3 weeks now. Doc. Said itd take up to month to feel effects. I felt like crap the first 4 days. Now I just feel better slight help with anxiety but I still don't feel the help with motivation with depression. I get up to take my daughter to school but it so very hard to find purpose in doing anything else. I'd rather sleep. I get 8 plus hours a night but feel like I always need more. That's why I was subscribed this for depression. Do you know when the depression help kicks in. I feel like I may need a higher dose. Taking 20mg a day.

• Posted

Hello duduran33 ( is that name to do with Duran Duran because I was a duranny in my youth) .

My names mark and I’m also on 20 mg I’ve just picked up my repeat prescription of  citalopram today. I asked my doctor for stronger because I’m not feeling anything. What I’ve been told is People react differently to it. I’ve just been reading some posts and my heart goes out to them. It’s just that it was years ago when they posted so I’ve no idea how they are now. I noticed your last post was a couple of years ago. How are you now ( if you don’t mind me asking). Thanks. Mark

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.