CITALOPRAM FOR OCD INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS

Posted , 79 users are following.

I just started the drug for OCD which does cause high levels of anxiety. Does anyone had experience of taking the drug for this condition. Did it help with the OCD  and anxiety or just the anxiety?

1 like, 175 replies

175 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi mackem I take propranolol for anxiety it seems to help along with the citalopram
  • Posted

Hi I have been on this medication on and off since I was 19. I am now 27. But stupid me didn't take it for a week and half and my anxiety and intrusive thoughts are so bad I feel there is no way out. I keep having thoughts about how the world works.how I think, like how does my brain do it. & I can never escape my brain. Like I'm

Always stuck in it, for some reason this has scared me so much. I have had this feeling for about a week now and I feel I'm

Never going to get better. I feel even if I do I still won't be able to control me brain as I am the only who can control it. I hope this makes sense. But I need some advice on these thoughts. I just want my life back. Thanks.

Also I am now back on my medication 20mg

• Posted

You know I had similar fears when I was ill - I was in control of my actions, me, and me only.  Even if I became well, I'm still in control.  I could scare myself if I wanted.  That thought scared me and couldn't see how a pill would help anyway.  Your mind plays tricks on you when you're ill.

But ..... as I recovered on the medication, sure enough that scary thought faded into the background and didn't bother me.

At the moment you are so embroiled in just feelings and emotions.  Any scary thoughts will seem ten fold because you're body is simply overreacting because you have anxiety.  If you didn't have anxiety, that thought would simply be dismissed and put to the back of your mind.  Anxiety makes that thought seem HUGE!!!!!!  Yes you are in control of your brain, but believe me as you recover and the anxiety lessens you will not feel so scared by it.  It will get put back into perspective.

I didn't think I'd ever not be scared of stupid thoughts, but I recovered and they don't bother me at all now.

Scary irrational thoughts are all part of the illness and feed off of anxiety ... and then the anxiety gives you thoughts.  You get stuck in a viscious cycle.  As the anxiety begins to calm / soothe, so the thoughts will become less intrusive.  Honestly, they will.

Once you're back in that hole you can't see a way out - but once you're getting back on top you will see this illness for what it is.  Nothing more than anxiety and an overactive mind.

You will get over this.  

How long ago did you miss that week and a half of medication?

Get back into the routine of taking your meds - give it time, much time, and your body will begin to soothe and those thoughts will too.

K xx

• Posted

Katecogs, you never cease to amaze me with the good works you do on this forum.  A bigger and more generous heart we will not find. smile
    • Posted

Well all those msgs were definitely helpful to read! I've been on cit 20mg for 7 weeks now with no noticeable changes! Well i too went trough the 1st 2 weeks of hell! I felt jittery, anxious pounding heart, a brain that was stuck in 4th gear you name it but i stayed with and im proud of myself in doing so! I was just so hopeful i would be feeling so much better by now but its not being as effective for me as others! There are some mornings i wake up feeling just so depressed i want to die! I have no idea why this is happening. I dont drink or smoke weed but i do smoke cigarettes though! I manage to get out of bed on these mornings and make a green tea and take my meds (1 being 1mg of klonipin 3 times a day my anxiety is very very severe!) After an hour or so i start to feel alittle bit better but not 100% Just waking up feeling so bad inside really has me upset for most of the day. I managed to make an appt with my dr 2morrow and will discuss this with him. Perhaps i need to goto 40mg? I do feel some relief however, i sleep throughout the night, i make small talk in the elevator (something ive never done before) when i have a strange thought like who will help take care of me when im 70 (strange thought im only 50) i am now able to rationalize the thought and realize its uncalled for and it soon passes and i dont seem to dwell on it like i used too. Yes some improvement but 20mg just doesnt seem to be as effective as i had thought! Ive always had to take high dosages of ADs in the past so maybe 40mg will be my sweet spot! Will find out 2morrow at the docs! Fingers crossed here i just want to feel normal again! BTW me mum passed away Sept 20th 2018 and i now live alone in the apartment with my 3 cats. I just feel so alone and miss her so much. I hope the med helps me I sure need help with this!

Sorry for long post

• Posted

Hi UnknownStranger

You know, 7 weeks is still quite early days for many people. It can be 3 months before you notice the smallest of changes, and even then people often miss it.

Personally I’d stick on the 20mg for another couple of months before thinking of increasing. Its often not about the dose, but the length of time. People expect too much too soon.

It took me 6 months to recover on 20mg, and during that time I woke every day with dreadful anxiety and didn’t want to face the day. But … by the evening I’d feel slightly different - lighter, calmer. That didn’t start until around 3-4 months. Recovery means you take the anxiety with you, and during this time is slowly subsides. You won't suddenly wake up with it gone - but you will one day. Not yet though.

The worst time of the day for anxiety sufferers is usually first thing on waking up. This is because your cortisol levels are at their highest which makes you feel depressed, fatigued, anxious etc. The levels lower throughout the day. That’s why you feel slightly better about an hour after you’ve got up, and no you won’t feel 100% yet. You’ve got a way to go yet.

Anxiety causes strange thoughts - its just a side effect. When the body and mind are anxious you’ll have anxious thoughts - and when the body and mind are calm you’ll have calm thoughts. Thoughts subside as you recover.

40mg could be the dose for you, though a lot of people struggle on that dose which is the maximum you can take. Sometimes that dose causes constant side effects ie anxiety and all its side effects. An adjustment in doses often rectifies this.

These meds work real slow - and I really do mean slow. Starting on 20mg can take a long, long time before you even begin to feel the slightest, minutest of benefits, and thats often much longer than 7 weeks. Personally I’d give them much longer, because you won’t know yet if this is ‘the’ dose for you until you’ve given it enough time.

Many people chase recovery and end up feeling constantly ill and also delay recovering. These people will rush up through doses in the hope of a quick fix, will suffer bad side effects through going too quick and often will feel dreadful on too high a dose. They then reduce them (again often too quick) and will then sufer withdrawal, and that mixed with the side effects they already have will make a ghastly combination.

With no relief happening when they expected, people will then add in many other prescribed meds to the cocktail, making them feel even worse, and eventually will switch medication and begin the whole process over again.

The key is to go slow and steady. Yes it will be uncomfortable - you can’t make yourself well in an instant just as you can’t mend a broken leg in a few weeks or months. Time is the healer.

We all want to feel normal again, and you will. Just slow down and let recovery come to you instead of chasing it.

K x

• Posted

No... your right! But I saw my doc today and even he said that after 7 weeks I should have felt some improvement in my mood and yet I feel not sad nor do I feel happy... Im stuck..... Ive tried many many ADs in the past and always needed a higher than starting dose does.... so he upped me to 30mg.... now.... yes I went through 2 weeks of side effect hell but I made it... Im surprised at myself what determination can make! Trust me! I have been through hell and back and I am constantly reminded that hell... im still alive! I lost me mum in Sept 20th 2018 and I was DEAD for a month;;;; I was devastasted and and I was completely heart broken... I took care of her of 3 years cuz my dad and brother passed away in June 2015 she needed my help so I moved in with her.... i did everything for her she was very ill... dementia OCPD and a very bad fracture in her hip.... I went from caregiver to bed ridden when she died..... I wanted to die to be with her and my family...... it was BAD..... and i mean very bad! After a month when i finally felt somewhat better I finally saw my doc of 15 years! He is amazing.... he knows me.... knows me when Im at my best and now when Im at my worst but he is helping me alot and alot of talking I know he cares about me alot and when my mum died i know in my heart that he to felt a loss.... she loved him and I know he cared very much about her;.

K

Nuff of that.... yes I am alone now... I have 3 loving cats that helped me i swear it! But i will give weekly reports on my stage.... in the hopes that those just starting this med... yes.... it works but god it takes time please be patient you will be the winner in the end... I swear it !!!!!

Again long post and for that im sorry if ya read it... read it again... yes... there really is hope but it takes time so please learn the ability of coping and patience.... very very importartant in your recovery... please trust my words for they are true!\

Thank you

• Posted

Most doctors underestimate how long it takes for these meds to work. Its only when you experience them that you get the full picture.

Am sorry for the loss of your mother so recently - I know that pain you’ve experienced, having lost my parents too. A very tough time……

I’ve also got 3 cats too - they’re such a comfort aren’t they. Its a known fact that animals help to heal you.

Yes patience is needed on these meds - time is a great healer.

K x

• Posted

An update to my situation. I was unlucky at first because my first therapist said it was CBT or medication. So I went for CBT but the constant exposure therapies made me worse. Fortunately I was allowed a second course of CBt again with the NHS. But the second therapist allowed me to start Citalopram for 6 weeks before the sessions started. I stated on 20mg increaing over 3 weeks to 40mg. The CBT was 18 sessions of 3 to 4 months. The second therapist was much better and together with the medication vastly improved my condition.

I still have thoughts and anxiety but at lower levels. Also I now have mechanisms to deal with them which work most of the time. The downsde is I have far less energy and feel very tired at times but this is a small price to pay for my improvement in how I feel mentally.My other problem is I have to come off Citalapram when I am 65 and just hope the alternative drug works as well.

My advice threefold.

Go on medication and then start CBT.

If CBT is not working ask for an alternative therapist.

If you improve with CBT and medication then stay on medication. I understand the only long term issue is with Citalapram that you should switch to another drug at 65 years old.

Good luck everyone

• Posted

who told you about been 65years old and have to switch celexa?my mom is 79 and shes been taking celexa for 25 years .hmmmm

• Posted

LOL im only 50 ol timer so i have on my side! yes i read your post thank you so much my friend! we all seem to be in a very small boat it seems but i have hope... something i didnt have before and god damn it is strong in me now.... i will win and live a much better life im sure of it my friend! thank you sooooo much for your input it means alot to me!

regards

• Posted

Hi I have been on it for 5 weeks! It defiantly helps for both  I have just gone up to 20mg and started to feel the side effects again inc  anxiety but ocd 

However just give it time x 

• Posted

Hi Misses E,

I was wondering how do you feel?

I hope you are fine!

I also suffer from intrusive thoughts and I take Prozac 40 mg for 3 weeks now. I really hope it helps because sometimes I really feel hopeless.

All the Best,

Zejna xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.