CITALOPRAM FOR OCD INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS

Posted , 79 users are following.

I just started the drug for OCD which does cause high levels of anxiety. Does anyone had experience of taking the drug for this condition. Did it help with the OCD  and anxiety or just the anxiety?

1 like, 175 replies

175 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The intrusive thoughts are my big battle right now. I had been on citalopram for years and I began taking my medicine inconsistently (stupid I know) my anxiety came storming back January 19th. I increases my dose from 25 to 30 and have been taking it nightly at 10pm for the past four weeks. 

I believe that I am happier and calmer, but these thoughts and the Morning anxiety when I wake up are my only issues.This is such a scary process. 

• Posted

Wow very similar story here, I just kept forgetting for about four months my anxiety came back same time as yours so now on 30mg too and hoping it’s helping. I am week 6 today x
  • Posted

Happy Thursday!

I wanted to update my progress for anyone who is in need of hope or a boost. I upped my Citalopram dose to 40mg exactly 14 days ago.

The adjustment period is never a cruise, but we probably only notice this so much because most people adjust when they are feeling terrible. If we adjusted our meds when we felt good, it probably wouldnt phase as as much.

Day 14. I've had it all, nausea, headaches, chest pains, broken sleep, stiff neck, heightened anxiety, sweating......BUT, I can feel the slightest difference in my mood today. I struggle with obsessive thoughts and they are still hanging out, but I feel more hope than I felt 2 weeks ago, which is huge! I have been up and down the emotional rollercoaster the last 2 weeks.

My counselor asks me 'What was the date you felt good after you went through this last time?'

Obviously, I never know the answer because it goes away so gradually. That is what I try to remember. You dont wake up one day and feel 100% better. I had a Csection 8 years ago, and I could barely walk for the first several days after. I remember telling my Mom 'I am never going to be able to walk normal again' Sure enough, one day it just happened. And the same will happen with this circumstance.

My anxiety seems to be seasonal, and there have been seasons where I have gone without it. When I am not in the throes on an anxiety episode,I am a carefree outgoing bubbly person. Every now and again, I think back to all the times I've rode the waves of anxiety and always thought I would be pulled under, but I am still here. I thought for sure my thoughts and feelings at the time would always be in the forefront and I would forever think about the times when I have struggled. But, life can be great again, even better than great.

I sometimes think, 'How did I get through all that?'

Because, I like to think I am badass that way.

This too shall pass.

Keep going!

• Posted

I just want to follow up and post some updates on my journey. I started going through an anxiety flare up in mid December. I increased my citalopram dosage and experienced all the terrible side effects. I am 4 months past this and I feel so much better than I did 4 months ago.

My anxiety is intrusive, obsessive thoughts. I thought that I would never not have those or I would always think the same negative things, but like a wave in the ocean, I had to ride it out and it passed. You can be happy again., even if you dont feel like you can.

I have bad days, just like everyone, but not terrible days where I want to crawl in bed and never get out......anymore.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Just curious I didn't see it in the prior replies but what dose were you on before the 40? Also how long were you on the prior dose? I myself have been on 10 for 5 weeks and 20 now for about 14 weeks and don't feel that its really working yet. I also have the Intrusive thoughts and anxiety.

• Posted

I have been on Cit since 2010 starting at a 10mg dose. Through the years, through waves of anxiety, I have upped my dose 5 to 10mg at a time and I am not at the max, however, I am intending to cut back for the summer time. I have been on 40mg now since December. For me, by week 5, I could feel the slightest difference. The thoughts are usually the last thing to go. But they do, and so gradually that I didnt even notice it until I realized it's been a while that I thought of them. I have been lucky that Citalopram was my first AD and it has worked very well for me over the years. This is not the case for everyone, but I do wish you the best of luck on your journey!

• Posted

After day 14, I noticed the crying stopped and by week 5 I felt lighter and less tense....my neck didnt hurt as much, I was sleeping a bit better. I feel hopeless every time I get pulled down under a wave, but eventually, all the terrible thoughts dissipate, my anxious mind settles and I continue on.

• Edited

Hello everyone. I am so happy I found this discussion. I am only on day 5 of cit and while it is a rough ride it is easier than trying to restart Lexapro. I had only ever been on Lexapro before with good results then went off after a year. Stress drove me back to my intrusive thoughts so I decided to go back on. Omg it made me psychotic or at least I felt that way. I ended up in a psychiatric hospital for 4 days where they started me on 10 mg of cit. the anxiety is less severe and generally only in the am when I wake up but takes a while to calm me back down. I am able to get in with my day as late afternoon and evenings get easier and I am sleeping much better. Reading through this thread has given me so much hope and the will to stay on cit and see this through. I will also be starting CBT therapy when they are able to get me hooked up with a therapist. When in the hospital I found group therapy to be beneficial so I may opt for that also. I am looking forward to feeling like myself again and gaining back all the weight I have lost since I had no appetite. So, thanks for the hope and the time you take to help people like me keep the faith.

• Posted

I felt the same way. I somehow stumbled upon this post a few years back when I was in a nasty flare up. Katecogs and her words helped me a ton. I would read, and re read her words and she was right about it all! This is one of the places I visit when I am in a flare up or from time to time when I feel good to check in. I think its important to stay active to let people know how you have got on!

• Edited

Hi @katecogs could I have the link please.

Really struggling at the moment and even though im 10 weeks into Citalopram (6 weeks 20 / 4 weeks 40) the anxiety is not lifting and intrusive thoughts are constant.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Chris

Yes sure, I'll private message you.

I read you've taken a Citalopram before? 10 weeks is quite early still, especially second time round, and you may not have the same experience as the first time either.

40mg is the maximum you can take and a lot of people struggle on that high dose as they end up with constant side effects, and an adjustment in the dose gives them better results.

A high dose doesn't mean you'll recover any quicker than if you were on a lower dose, as each dose it tailored to suit everyone's individual body.

Intrusive thoughts are a side effect of anxiety, so the stronger the anxiety the more rife the thoughts will be. Don't try dealing with the thoughts because they're only present because of the anxiety, and they'll calm down as the anxiety calms. It's like trying to stop pain with a broken leg - the pain will stop when the leg in healed. Just let the thoughts come and go for now and know they'll go as you heal, as stressing about them just adds more tension.

I'll send you the link as I'm sure you'll benefit from reading about how anxiety works - why it comes, why it sticks around and how to deal with it.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Katie

Today has been a good day. No side effects off the 15mg Mirt ive started taking on Wednesday to help with sleep and got up early, went for a run, and kept busy most of the day.

I also did some reading on anxiety last night and read a really helpful technique to push aside worries which I have been applying today.

Thanks again

Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris, curious about this technique you mention, would you share?

My main concerns at the moment are that I don't seem to be able to stop constantly thinking about how I feel and worse yet, I've really scared myself with thoughts like "what if I cannot take it anymore" etc. I think this is the anxiety playing its tricks but it's so nasty and draining.

• Posted

Hi Chris

Glad you had a good day - its great to have a little respite isn't it. Remember you might still have bad days to come, but that's normal and they'll be mixed with good days too.

Exercising is brilliant!! Being outside is so therapeutic plus the exercise helps burn off any excess adrenaline (anxiety) .... plus of course if keeps you fit.

There's so much in the book - and when you read, reread and rereread it you'll find things that make more sense etc.

K x

• Posted

Hi Marketta

In some of the literature ive picked up on coping with anxiety I found a "thought diagram" which I have found really helpful.

Whenever a negative thought, problem, or worry comes into my head, instead of dwelling on it you have to ask yourself a question.

Can I do something to solve this problem or worry?

If the answer is "No" then push the thought out of your mind.

If the answer is "Yes" then either solve it immediately, or schedule a time in the future to solve it.

This is obviously easier said than done, especially when thoughts are overwhelming, but so far ive found it is working.

Cheers

Chris

• Edited

Hi @ katecogs, I've stumbled across this post as well and found what you and others have said really helpful. Realise its quite a while since the post started but if you read this could you send me the link too? Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.