Citalopram for surgical menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I have been in surgical menopause for just over 2 years now and for the last 20 months I've been taking Hrt. I've decided to come off them as I don't think they are helping that much as I'm feeling so crap. Getting out of bed each morning is a chore, I've put on a stone and a half in weight, my joints ache, I've no interest in anything, no motivation and I could shut myself away as I've no desire to go out or see anyone. My husband has been fantastic and supportive, even though with my zero libido he's climbing the walls so add a bit of guilt into the mix. I feel he's doing all the giving and getting nothing back and I've just let myself go. Anyway I've just come back from seeing my doctor who I felt had no empathy whatsoever and I'm taking a reduced dose of Hrt for 2 weeks then finishing. Alongside that he's given me a 2 weeks supply of citalopram 20mg as he says my symptoms may be due to depression and not menopause. I'm sitting here not knowing whether to take my first one and totally undecided. Has anyone any experience of these antidepressants who could let me know how they got on? Thanks in advance for any advise.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Dawn, sorry to hear you feel so rubbish - I can't help you with HRT advice but like you im in surgical menopause aswell, two years five months and I feel horrendous all the time too, I struggle every day and have terrible health anxiety because of it all plus can't have HRT due to horrible migraines in fact I'm just getting over another one now. It's great that your hubby is understanding mine most DEFINATLEY is not ! x
    • Posted

Hi Lou. Thanks for the reply. I've only just registered on here to try and find some advice. I'm sorry to hear your husband isn't understanding, it does make a big difference. Thing is my husband is so good it makes me feel guilty, can't win eh lol.

• Posted

Hello Lou, sorry to here you're struggling so badly. It certainly does help if husbands and partners are understanding - or at least try to understand what we go through.

We certainly don't chose to go through this, in fact I'm sure we'd all give it a pass by if we could.

We're all here for each other anyway. Hope you feel a bit better soon. xx

• Posted

Hi and thanks - like you I have neck pain, knee pain, back pain, wrists and Uugghh the list goes on. Every day is the same old same old and I can't see an end to this torture , I'm not alone I know but it seems cruel to leave us women to cope with this as it's not a life it's just an existence x
    • Posted

It certainly does Lou. You're right, it's not life, it's an existence.

To mis-quote Dr McCoy from Star Trek -

"It's worse than that - it's the menopause, Jim."

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it."

xx

• Posted

Doctors, especially male doctors have no idea what we go through during menopause. Even some female doctors haven't a clueeither. Which I think just isn't right.

With the myriad of weird, strange and downright painful symptoms we can go through, it's often only on forums like this that we find reassurance and explanations and pass on any tips that may help.

That's the physical side of menopause. The mental side, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, to name a few, often decide to join in as well knocking us off balance wondering if we're going off our head.

I've been in agony with pain in my neck, back and joints for the past two days, so I'm not at my best at the moment.

When you stop and really think about it, we women are actually all very strong.

I might not feel I am strong right now, I sincerely doubt if most men could cope and go through what we do. If that was the case, there would be a lot more research and resources available to help relieve the horrible symptoms we women all go through.

We are here for each other. x

• Posted

Really sorry to hear you're not doing too good. Do you get bouts of pain regularly? Each doctor I've seen has been useless. I took my husband with me this time and although he pushed for info and help for me he agreed it's like talking to a brick wall.
    • Posted

Thank you Dawn. I seem to get pain of some sort each month. It can vary in intensity, this month it's bad.

It pulls me down and I can't seem to get comfortable. It affects my sleep, which makes me tired and it's a vicious circle.

If someone offered me a pill to try I probably would. I don't like prescribed medication but needs must to make the pain go away

My husband is good about it all and tries to support me. He has a serious medical condition of his own and I know the stress from that isn't helping me relax. I've made an appointment for next week with an osteopath to try cranial manipulation and other Techniques which are said to help relieve/reduce pain.

The doctors can't help and short of taking stronger painkillers - which I really don't want to do - If There's no other solution I may have to go down that road.

We're here for each other anyway, if nothing else, we can comfort and help just by being here on this forum. xx

• Posted

Yes I'm feeling the support already. I hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hi....I've been Citalopram for about 4 months. ..as my gp advised it would help with my anxiety attacks and panic which I've had since being peri....I was on 10mg for first few months...1st 2 weeks were horrific...I was told to expect this...my anxiety was worse..pains worse...aching worse....I almost gave up on day 10 but gp said to persevere....it did settle down and made definitely less anxious and helped my sleep slightly....it did have a huge wobble and they upped me to 20 mg which has helped although I still get a week of anxiety pain dizziness around week 3 each month and I hav put on weight..although the weight gain is listed as a side effect in the packet....I would say they make it worse before they make any difference but I understand that's pretty normal for any anti depressant....I did try sertr aline a few years ago and they were awful for me....I don't think in my case they r a miracle cure but at the moment they are helping with at least one of my long list of symptons ....this forum makes u realise your not dieing and not alone...hope this helps x
    • Posted

Hi Jane. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. I'm still undecided but I'll take it on board x
  • Posted

I wasn't able to withstand the side effects of citalipram. I've tried other ADs also and they all have similar effects on me: zombie feeling, loss of appetite, general feeling of being sick or being poisoned, nausea, dizziness, etc. but I'm really sensitive.
    • Posted

Hi. I hope you find something to help soon. I'm also considering natural remedies like St John's Wort. Have you tried anything like that? X
    • Posted

I've tried StJohnsWort in the past. But I may try it again as it's been awhile. But most natural remedies are not strong enough for me. I've been through the ringer past 8 months dealing with all peri symptoms every single day. Feeling down at the moment thinking how long this will be.
    • Posted

It's worth a try. I'm going to give it a go. I hope you feel better soon and I'm going to be on here if you need a moan x
    • Posted

Thanks! I just joined a few days ago. It's so nice to be able to express what I'm going through and not feel alone. Even my gyn who is past meno doesn't seem like she gets it when I tell her all these symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.