Citalopram for surgical menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I have been in surgical menopause for just over 2 years now and for the last 20 months I've been taking Hrt. I've decided to come off them as I don't think they are helping that much as I'm feeling so crap. Getting out of bed each morning is a chore, I've put on a stone and a half in weight, my joints ache, I've no interest in anything, no motivation and I could shut myself away as I've no desire to go out or see anyone. My husband has been fantastic and supportive, even though with my zero libido he's climbing the walls so add a bit of guilt into the mix. I feel he's doing all the giving and getting nothing back and I've just let myself go. Anyway I've just come back from seeing my doctor who I felt had no empathy whatsoever and I'm taking a reduced dose of Hrt for 2 weeks then finishing. Alongside that he's given me a 2 weeks supply of citalopram 20mg as he says my symptoms may be due to depression and not menopause. I'm sitting here not knowing whether to take my first one and totally undecided. Has anyone any experience of these antidepressants who could let me know how they got on? Thanks in advance for any advise.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have taken citalopram and for me the HRT is a wonder drug in comparison.

I used the citalopram before HRT (I'm on a bioidentical one) stopped the citalopram and was still depressed on it or off it.

With the HRT my depression lifted over the course of six weeks.

I'm not back to my usual self but partway there at least.

• Posted

That's really great to hear. Different things work for different people. Glad you're feeling better x
    • Posted

I think using HRT is getting at the cause of depression and ADs are just treating symptoms of peri. I wish I could go on HRT but I'm still having periods.
    • Posted

I think you can start HRT while you still have periods and some experts think it's safer to start it while you still have some of your own natural estrogen rather than wait until meno.
    • Posted

I wonder why my gyn didn't even mention it. She only gave me option of BC all month long without a period, taking estrogen only during period on pill or switching pill brand. Thanks for letting me know.
    • Posted

There was another lady discussion about evorel patches. Her name was Angela with some numbers after.

She was asking how long before they stay working. She is in peri, still having periods.

• Posted

Hi dawn, my husband takes citalopram and he said he feels so much calmer since taking them he also has improved with his mood hope they work for you good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for the info Karen, although I have decided to hold on to them and try st John's wort and black cohosh first. I have just over a week of half dose hrt left to take so fingers crossed 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.