Citalopram hot flushes and feel weird

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi , have been on citalopram about 3 weeks , only 5mg it's been awful . I started at 2.5 mg but now upped to 5 over a week ago and I'm having bad anxiety , hot flushes , and just feel like I can't stand being in my own skin ? I keep needing to go outside for fresh air. I feel jittery , my hands shake.

I'm like this all day now it just doesn't improve. From the minute I wake up until bedtime. It's awful. I'm wanting to increase to 10mg but I can't take being on 5 . I've been given beta blockers but took one last night and felt dizzy and off on them

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Forgot to add I've got constant stomach ache , feel sick , no appetite and the runs sad

• Posted

Hi. I very much doubt that the citalopram is causing your physical problems at such a low dose. It is just a quarter of the recommended therapeutic dose so won't do much at all to be honest. 

Did you scan the patient information leaflet for a list of Ade effects by any chance? It is possible that you've frightened yourself into thinking you have all these symptoms when in fact it is just your anxiety, and the citalopram won't help with that because your dose isn't high enough. 

Also so they don't come in 5mg tablets, so I'm guessing you are splitting a 10mg tablet? Does you doctor know about this? 

• Posted

Hi , yes my doctor knows I'm on 5mg and I saw her yesterday and she said citalopram can make you feel worse even on a low dose (I'm super sensitive to any medication)

I'm trying to persevere and will be trying y increase more shortly. I'm wondering if taking it at night / evening just isn't agreeing with me ?

• Posted

Yes these are all typical side effects of this medicine.  Some people are more sensitive to it than others.  This should however all ease off in time - each dose increase will give you side effects all over again so its important you let each dose settle completely before increasing to the next dose.

Your body is adjusting to the meds - it can take a while.  However, persevering on these meds really does pay off.

Some people find they're better taking Escitalopram which is similar to Citalopram.  Escitalopram seems to be kinder to the body and apparently works quicker.  I've only read about it online and people's reports of it on here - but it does seems to be a good one.

It is worth persevering with he Citalopram for now though.

Some people take their medicine at night - I take mine in the morning.  You could try taking it at a different time of the day to see if it helps, but I really think it doesn't matter when you take them.  Try it anyway - it might make a difference.

K x

• Posted

Thank you so much I appreciate it. I also feel very hormonal which doesn't help (I'm sure my hormones arnt right but nhs not very good with these sorts of things ) hence why I'm now trying citalopram. I started on 2.5 abd had worse anxiety on that which improved a bit and I've found since I increased to 5mg the symptoms are bad again so I will try and persevere. I was given beta blockers but Took one yesterday and felt awful , really dizzy at first and weird so I'm trying to manage today without a beta blocker,

• Posted

It sounds like it was starting to settle then when started on 2.5mg and felt it had improved a bit - increasing any dose will set it off again - but if you wait you'll find it will improve.  Sounds like all is happening as it should be surprised

Beta blockers can make you feel weird - I took some eons ago and felt i wasn't on this planet.  Everyone is different though.

Yes, try and persevere a little longer - you might find next week you'll feel entirely different.  When the side effects have settle, up the dose a little more and again wait for that to settle.

Keep in touch.

K xx

• Posted

If u take anyones advice in these forums take Katecogs!!!! She has helped many ppl in here including moi!!!!!!! Whatever u do dont quit the Cit b4 speaking with ur Doc!!!
    • Posted

Aww thanks John xx  There's lots of good advice from many people on this site - I'm just one of many wink

Hope you're doing ok John - you sound as though you are biggrin

K x

• Posted

Hi there Katecogs. Doin much better, thank you but still have my days. I find if I have a crappy sleep then I dont feel the greatest on the next day. I'm now on 40 mg's of Cit and it seems to be working.

• Posted

Glad to hear it John - yes you can still have those 'days' at times.  I think when I had recovered I'd still get the occasional day when I felt it, but they did get few and far between.  And exactly as you say - when I had bad sleep I'd feel none too good the next day.  Weird isn't it.  I don't get any bad days now ... even if I've had a rubbish sleep (just feel exhausted the next day instead).

Life certainly gets better.

K x

• Posted

It sure does. Thank you soooo much for ur knowledge and ur posts!!!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the help. I'm having more trouble though , I took slightly less citalopram last night thinking it may help but this morning I've woke up with very bad anxiety and a fast heartbeat , much worse than normal and keep feeling hot / cold / funny headed as if I might faint ? I'm wondering if it's withdrawal or slight change of dose ? I feel awful sad

• Posted

Hi kathkat

Taking slightly less won't have an immediate effect unfortunately - it usually takes a little while to adjust.  It could be that the slight change in dose could have made you feel a bit unwell - I know when I've missed a dose I used to heady and nauseous.

The first few weeks on a new dose is a really difficult time, but it will pass.  A little exercise may help, as exercise helps to burn excess adrenaline - a daily walk is good.  I'm sure it'll ease as the day goes on.

I've just been reading others posts who started recently, and already they're feeling over the worst.  

K x

• Posted

Get off it!  Sounds like you are sensitive to SSRIs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.