Citalopram side effects

Posted , 12 users are following.

Happy new year everyone! I hope 2019 will be a happier and healthier year for all.

It's been a rubbish Christmas thus year with family illnesses, colds, flu, stomach bugs which resulted in cancelled reunions over the holidays. I myself had a migraine for four days starting boxing day.

So I've been on 10mgs cit for 5/6 weeks from 7.5 after some yoyoing for months before that.

Lately I'm getting a muzzy head feeling about two hours after taking it and light headed feeling. I can't remember feeling this before I started messing with my dose. Sometimes I feel as if I'm drugged up, almost zombie like. Is this to be expected or has 10 mgs become too much for me to tolerate?

My anxiety is better though but I'd prefer not to have this heady feeling.

I've tried reducing but had to go back up because of the withdrawal effects causing anxiety.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know what to do for the best.

Best wishes everyone.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI lina, yeh i was getting the same, foggy & light headedness, so i reduced till 5 mg, which i have been on for five months now, except for a little breathlessness an hour after taking the dose, ive been fine. Sorry you had a rubbish xmas, hope you feel well again soon.

• Posted

Thanks Mike

Just the reassurance I needed. I think I will try reducing again. I get breathlessness sometimes too, I put it down to anxiety. Glad things are working out for you on 5. Regards

• Posted

I'm not suffering from anxiety Lina, so the medication is actually causing my short of breath, hopes this info helps also. Happy New year !

• Posted

Yes it does help, thanks Mike, I hadn't realised the med did that. Happy New Year to you to.

• Posted

the shortness of breath is a side effect of celexa but it will subside.happy new year.

• Posted

Thanks Lois, Happy New Year to you too. Since posting I've developed some sort of stomach upset with dizziness and nausea, hence the delay in replying.

• Posted

Hey Lina,

Happy new year,

Still struggling here, on and off. Some days fine. Some days anxious, some days flat, some days a fleeting depression. It's 4.5 months on 10mg for me. Really just posting this to let you know you're not alone 😃

For me, I'm gonna stay put at this dosage. I've done so much yo yoing that I just need to stay still. I'm holding out for the lighter, brighter days.

I've really come to understand how powerful these meds are, and how carefully I've got to treat them.

What do you think you will do?

Ruth x

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Happy New Year to you to. Thanks for your post, it helps a lot to know you are not alone. Sorry you are still getting symptoms.

I've had a horrible night and I've been wondering why, dizziness, nausea, jelly legs upset stomach, dry mouth.

I had a bad back yesterday and I rubbed a gel in that contains IBUPROFEN, I never use ibuprofen usually. I also took a panadol for the first time and an anadin extra later one of each. I also started vit d supplement a few days ago. It could be a combination of all those meds. Not a great start to the new year.

I will stick with 10 for today until I get properly over this other thing but I may go back to 7.5 because I am noticing a pattern of headaches and light headedness after taking it. Like you say they are powerful meds and need to be treated with respect.

Good to hear from you x

• Posted

Hi Lina,don't keep changing your dosage as every time you change your dosage you will get side effects ,so stay on one dosage for 10/12 weeks and if you feel that the anxiety is still there ,then change your dosage from 5 mgs to 7.5 mgs and stay on that dosage for 8/10 weeks and see how you feel

• Posted

Hi Marsh

Yes I know what you're saying is true about changing doses causing side effects. It's hard to know what to do for the best though when headaches and muzzy head feelings kick in within a couple of hours of taking it. It wasn't always like this though. Thanks for your post.

• Posted

Hi Lina, Happy New Year to you! sorry to hear about your migraines, I too suffered with hemiplegic Migraines (I think you and I have spoken on here previously about his???) and the last one early November, I ended up in hospital getting a ct scan, which was clear, so went cold turkey. Keep an eye on those migraines, I am 8 weeks med free and my headaches have cleared up completely. Its early days for me, but I am convinced that the meds caused them, but will not know for sure for another few months. Had an eye test today and usually the light sets me off but it didn't, partied New Years eve, normally that would make me ill and it didn't so fingers crossed.

Also, Yoyoing on these can definitely affect your head so it may not be the extra dosage it could just be your body trying to settle, definitely worth giving the 10mg more time before dropping again which could give you more side effects and make it difficult for you to know what dose is working.

• Posted

Totally agree, Paula. Lina, honestly, just wouldn't cut the dose again. It helps me to set a LONG target, sometimes, so I don't keep wondering what to do. Eg I am not going to change dosage for another 6 months.

At the moment myself, am not sure what is post menopause symptoms, what is the original condition, and what is the citalopram trying to settle. So many of the symptoms seem to overlap. So, have booked myself a couple of acupuncture sessions in January, I know not everyone is into complementary therapy, but I have always found acupuncture fantastic for panic and anxiety.

Still not out of the woods myself, but feeling a lot more hopeful. Decided not to updose from 10mg, but to augment with other things. And to try to have 'fun' even if I'm not feeling it. If you get what I mean..... Otherwise this whole godawful process just drives you bonkers.

Love to you, good wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

Totally agree, Paula. Lina, honestly, just wouldn't cut the dose again. It helps me to set a LONG target, sometimes, so I don't keep wondering what to do. Eg I am not going to change dosage for another 6 months.

At the moment myself, am not sure what is post menopause symptoms, what is the original condition, and what is the citalopram trying to settle. So many of the symptoms seem to overlap. So, have booked myself a couple of acupuncture sessions in January, I know not everyone is into complementary therapy, but I have always found acupuncture fantastic for panic and anxiety.

Still not out of the woods myself, but feeling a lot more hopeful. Decided not to updose from 10mg, but to augment with other things. And to try to have 'fun' even if I'm not feeling it. If you get what I mean..... Otherwise this whole godawful process just drives you bonkers.

Love to you, good wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Paula

Thank you and a happy new year to you too.

You sound really great. So happy for you after all you have been through.

I replied an hour ago but it disappeared, I think I lost Internet connection.

Yes I know you are right, I'm still taking 10 and will stay with it for now. Headaches OK this morning just a stiff neck probably my arthritis playing up and possibly the cause of my headaches and eye aches. I've had migraines for 30 years so they are not new to me either. Great start to the new year!

I hope you continue to get stronger each day, nice to hear from you x

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Yes I know what you mean about trying to figure what is causing what. It's so frustrating.

Good luck with your acupuncture, great idea x

• Posted

Thank you! Have you tried massages? I have wear and tear in my neck which contribute to my migraines. Am getting weekly thai massages at the moment to help my nervous system with withdrawal. Thai massages include stretches and a bit of chiropracter., and head massageI cant recommend it enough.

• Posted

Hi Paula

I have found that when I massage my neck it does feel better. I will look into that, we have a pain clinic in our area, a chiropractor, and I went there once for back pain so I may give it a try x

• Posted

lina, I spent years going to a chiropractor and since trying out thai massages, I havent been back. Its cumulative, and have read start with weekly for a month, then two weekly then monthly maintenance. Word of warning though, if you are sensitive make sure you tell the therapist not too massage too deep to start, as can be painful.

• Posted

Thanks Paula

Headaches seem to have abated. My posture is not great, always stooped forward working on a computer. Dizziness ok today, so far. I've had it before, went to ENT about it a year ago, they found nothing wrong, hearing good, again could be all connected to neck/posture issues. I've been doing lots of puzzles lately, helps with anxiety but plays havoc with the neck. Yesterday I actually felt better after taking my 10mg citalopram, so hopefully that's a good sign. Hope you are still doing good x

• Posted

So an hour has passed since my last post and I feel horrible gain. I did a bit of housework and now I feel nauseous and light headed. I just want to lie down. I went from 7.5 to 10 about 7 weeks ago, is this possibly side effects still? I don't know what's what anymore. I've been putting off going to my doctor thinking it's side effects and waiting for it to pass. I'm still getting weird dreams which makes me wonder if it's the med still . Anxiety ok unless I'm in a stressful situation and then getting some palps. Had bloods done six months ago and they were normal. Any thoughts? Apologies for being so inconsistent. Many thanks.😕

• Posted

more than likely is side effects.to many folks at times confuse the side effects with anxiety.and another thing these meds magnifies the anxiety thats already lurking in the background which i call them blips.but they will subside.it took me 8 months .

• Posted

Lina, it's the meds and side effects, honestly. It's those sudden mood shifts, that's definitely chemical. I was having them last week, kept getting these waves of feeling really despondent and 'life has no meaning.' Really scary as it seemed to come out of the blue. Luckily, I realised its med side effects, and didn't rush to do anything.

What has really seemed to help is using my SAD lamp, strangely enough. Am much better after using for a few days in the morning.

I have had waves of different side effects.

I even realised that the 'recurring infection' which felt like flu, is actually a side effect.

These meds are very useful but there's often a host of side effects to crunch through.

Sending good wishes ☺️

• Posted

Thanks Ruth

I seem to be wanting reassurance a lot lately, It's difficult to understand how moods and symptoms can change so quickly, and such a variety of them. When I feel ok I go all out and try to carry on as normal but then I get knocked back down again. I keep telling myself it's the meds but then I doubt my self and wonder what if it's something else. Thank heavens for this site, it's been a Godsend.

Thank you for your wisdom, sending best wishes x

• Posted

Thanks Lois

I'm very grateful to you for your reassurance and words of wisdom, it keeps my hopes up. Thank goodness for this site and for people like you x

• Posted

Hi Lina, what you describe sounds normal with my experience with these. I know I am settling with withdrawal, but have noticed through reading posts on this forum, that starting up, or dose changes and withdrawal symptoms are all so similar. When I over do anything at the moment it affects me, so reading what you said about doing housework and getting symptoms are side effects. Its still early days for you, alot of patience is needed, try not to let it scare you otherwise that could increase symptoms too with the added anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Paula

Thanks for the reassurance. Having a better day today, been busy again, just taking a break. Still have a neck ache and bit of a muzzy head but am coping better. Hope you are doing ok.😊

• Posted

Hi Lina, I am doing ok thank you! like I say in my posts, I have to be patient. I have been off work for the last two months and had a meeting today with my work, and am starting back at work on Monday, am nervous and excited, not sure how it will affect me, but I am being eased back in slowly so that will help alot. I have found keeping my company up to date with what is happening with my health has benefited me alot with getting the right support. I was not doing very well, when I tried to keep my health under the radar.

• Posted

Hi Paula

I did a phased return to work after I was once off for two months after a health scare and anxiety. I think I did it over several weeks and it worked out really well, helped me to gradually build up my confidence again without that added pressure of doing a full week. Your company sound very supportive as was mine and you're right, it's best to be open about your feelings in order to get that support you need.

So pleased for you Paula that things are looking up for you again, and hopefully you have a great summer to look forward to this year. In case I don't chat with you before then I wish you all the very best with your return to work. x

• Posted

What a lovely message, thank you so much I needed to hear that x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.