Citalopram strikes again!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok... So I've been taking Cit for just over a year now, all horrible side effects well and truly gone....or so I thought!.....

Recently been trying to get down to 5mg (am only on 10) with the view to come off them eventually.

Have now gone back to taking 10 everyday as have been suffering with TERRIBLE short term memory!!!

I've never had an excellent memory but it's been a bit of a nightmare! Friends and family have even commented!

It's got to the point where I forget everything - where I put things, where I parked the car in asda!, what I said 20 minutes ago, what happened in a film I watched the previous night! You get the drift anyway....

Now I'm only 25 so am hoping it's all down to the tablets - just wanted any experiences really

Ta smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

Well, I can certainly relate to your situation I tried comin down (gradually and slowly) after 9 months, but I unexpectedly experienced loads of cr*p in my life and it all went wrong!

Someone here did suggested I didn't try (not knowing what lay ahead of me) as if it was working why try and reduce! I think that person had a point. So, sometime this year I may try again, but do you know, I could be happy stayiing (on the level) where I am! I think! My memory is a bit iffy however, Ann (my better arf!) nudges me when needed and it works (so I think or believe) not really sure.

What I am sure about is SO WHAT! We need to get better, attain a level and go with it, Until? Who knows! One day maybe.

Do not let it mess with yer head, you know where you were and how good you were. Stick with that increase again for a while and see where you are. Then let us know how yer doing, because I also want to reduce, but need more help.

The bestest of wishes,

David

• Posted

Thanks David - I do keep wondering if it's worth trying to come off!

However, will let you know how I get on and if I find any easy ways to do so!

All the best

• Posted

Hi Danielle, Its a bury question really isnt it what happens when we come off or reduce,  I am currently thinking about it and I kinda agree with david why come off if everything is going good I certainly dont want to slip back into my old self a year ago so that is the biggest fear of it all! I was going to wean off in April once things at work slow down.... Memory wise If you under a bit of stress maybe that contributes to the memory?
  • Posted

Hi Danielle, yes, definitely the tablets.  I had such horrible memory issues when I was withdrawing from Effexor, such that I thought I had ADD or something, scatter-brained! It will get better. Get a pill cutter and try to break your pills down into as small of bits as you can, and hold at a dose for at least 3 weeks before cutting again.  Never cut when you are having WD symptoms, since those symptoms are signs that your nervous system has been destabilized by the previous cut and is struggling to regain balance; cutting further would only make things worse.

The most pain-free way to reduce is using the 10% withdrawal method.  See the topic in the following thread:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.