Citalopram Usage

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed in January of this year with PTSD & Panic disorder. As part of this, I've also developed a medication phobia. My question, I took Citalopram 10mg several years ago, with no side effects that I recall. I want to try it again, and have the meds on hand, but with my med phobia I've been reluctant to start it. What is the likelihood of experiencing side effects, as I experienced none the first time around?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was put on 10mg of Citalopram for the first time ever in April for PTSD. I had bad anxiety too.

The only symptoms that I had was loss of appetite, slight nausea that only lasted a,couple days. My anxiety increased initially and they raised me to 20mg and then 30mg where I am staying.

They gave,me Clonaxepam one table each morning for my anxiety and I am doing amazing. No panic attacks in two to three months.

I never read side effects or negative comments on here or Google and I think that helps but I also practice CBT.

best of luck xx

• Posted

Thanks for the response Diane. I took 10mg of Citalopram for approximately 1 yr after the end of a long relationship, again with no side effects that I recall. I'm on Xanax .75mg daily for anxiety as well. I'm fearful of taking anything that will increase my anxiety, and the thought of putting another med into the mix, messes with my anxiety. I try as well to stay away from the negative reviews and comments, as it only makes my trepidation about taking the med worse.

• Posted

I was on Ativan for increased anxiety but it didn't work well with me. My psychiatrist said that things like Ativan and Xanax are for when you are having an attack. What I am on keeps me from even feeling anxious at all or having an anxiety attack. I will worry about withdrawal when the time comes if ever. I am almost 60 so if I have to stay on both for life I don't care because I feel great other,than a,little tired. I also don't drink any liquor, very little sugar, no caffeine and eat really well and eat magnesium rich food.

• Posted

My PTSD & Panic disorder started after a car accident last year. Plus I'm dealing with a father in hospice & a mother with Alzheimer's. I have to take my Xanax in divided doses just to maintain some sense of normalcy. My PCP wants me to try an antidepressant again, as he says that there is no way that I'm not having some degree of depression. I'm a Nurse, and can't work right now due to my symptoms. I seriously want some normalcy back to my life, but the fear of taking another med makes my anxiety worse.

• Posted

Mine started after I almost died from a 90% blockage in the main artery in my heart. In the last 5 years my Mom died, my brother died, a brother in law and both of my in laws.

I feels for you.

I am back to work now but I wasn't well enough to work until I started taking the Clonaxepam with the Citalopram.

• Posted

Thanks so much Diane for sharing, and taking the time to respond to my post. I'm glad you're back on the road to good health, I wish you the best. ??

• Posted

Probably the same but no one can know for sure s people change give them a go
    • Posted

True. As a Nurse, I know intellectually that it probably won't cause me any problems. It's the irrational anxiety ridden part of my brain that is causing me problems.

• Posted

Ur talking to the converted here! if i had a pound for every irrational thought i had in a day id b able to afford my own personal psychiatrist! U should read the citralopram survial guide google it. It a long read but surely a few wks uncomfotable symptoms is better than a lifetime of anxiety?
    • Posted

Try even 1 dose if u dont like it no harm done
    • Posted

Thank you for your support, and taking the time to share your thoughts. I truly appreciate it! ☺️
  • Posted

I can only tell you what I went through,

Horrendous, awful and I felt like I was losing my mind.

Don't take them do not listen to people who say just persevere.

I was in a bad way. I only took them for 16 days but the effect the had was horrendous. Yes I still suffer with anxiety worrying but afte taking this crack (yes it's crack) I can get through this.

A no motivation zombie is not how I want to live my life.

My heart bleeds for you but please come off these xxx

• Posted

Hi Jamey,

?I can only tell you what my experience has been.  I started Citalopram nearly 4 years ago now.  I started on 20mg, and have stayed there since.  When I started, I didn't know about this forum, so I didn't read anything about side effects or not.  And my doctor didn't say anything about them either.  I just took them.  The only thing she said was to take them at night 30 minutes before bed.  I never had any kind of side effects of any kind.  It did however, help me sleep!  Which was Heaven sent, as I was having a awful time sleeping...if I was lucky 2-3 hours a night.  Once in a while I will feel a bit down/depressed/anxiety, but I know now what it is, and it will only last a short time, and I am ok.  Other than that, I have been fine all these years.  For me, I swear by it.  Will you experience side effects now?  I can't say, unfortunately.  But 10mg is a low dose, and you didn't the first time.  You could give it a try, and should you even think you are experiencing the slightest side effect, you could stop them right away.  But, if it were me, I thing I would give it a try...BUT, that is me.  This has to be your decision.  What ever you decide, I wish you all the best of luck!!!  You have been through a lot, and it sounds like you really could use a boost to help you through!  If it's with Cital, or with something else. 

God Bless!!!

• Posted

Thank you some much for the encouragement Deidra, I truly appreciate it. I think that I am going to give it a try, just mustering up the courage.

Thanks again,

Jamey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.