Citalopram with Mirtazipam

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone have experience of taking both at the same time?

I took Cit for 10 years (7 years 20mg and 3 years 40mg) for stress, anxiety and depression , and come off them far too quickly before Xmas.

By Feb i was back on 20mg but after 6 weeks I had a breakdown and took some time off work.

Been on 40mg now for a 4th week so 10 weeks back on Cit and not really seeing an improvement, especially as im now back in work and the stress is back.

GP gave me some sleeping tablets to help with the sleep initially (Zopiclodine) but has now given me 15mg Mitrazipam to take at night.

Ive taken them for 2 nights and whilst the sleep has been deep, i was very drowsy yesterday before work, couldnt go for my usual morning run, and same again this morning. The anxiety and irrational thoughts this morning were unbearable. I booked today off work as i had a feeling it would be more of the same.

Its now 12.15pm and i still cant shake it off.

I dont know wether to just persevere with the 40mg Citalopram only.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i was on both for years, what youre feeling is withdrawal and reinstatement, have you ever been on 40mg before? mirt will make you drowsy

• Posted

yes i was on 40mg for 3 years when 20mg stopped working.

is the drowsiness of the mirt just early side effects that will pass?

• Posted

the drowsiness gets less but doesnt go away altogether, so are you planning on staying on them both? be aware mirt causes weight gain

• Posted

Dont know. Whatever makes me feel better really but dont really want to be on 2 different meds at same time.

• Posted

ive got off mirt 3 times, the citalopram is much harder to get off, well i has been for me.

• Posted

Just want them to start working before even thinking of withdrawal. Taking a lot longer this time for the Cit to kick in.

• Posted

it takes time im nearly 11 months trying to settle on a lower dose

• Posted

I don't take Mitrazipam but I do take four tablets for my problem. The effects are generally that I am a bit tired but that is way better than the Anxiety etc.

I take Risperidone, as a second and two others at small doses, the Risperidone makes me tired the other two tend to wake me up bit.

In my case the anxiety is the number one issue so I am chasing side effects and trying to solve them. I do not get any weight gain from my combination.

A question is why reduce at Christmas, if you want to reduce; why and make sure you do it very very slowly, 3 months per change.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks

I reduced because I wanted to come off medication and didnt want to be on meds for the rest of my life. Ive also had to manage a serious gambling addiction and I didnt think the medication helped with that.

Clearly, from advice on this forum, I come off them too sharply.

Ive had a 3 good days after Thursday and Friday were bad, but dont know if its the Cit finally kicking back in, the combo of Cit and Mert, (although only been on Mert) since Wednesday night, or the fact im not in work until tomorrow. Work triggers my stress, which leads to anxiety and then depression.

Either way its been a welcome relief for last 3 days and hopefully it will continue whem back in work tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

• Posted

I was on both after 20mg of citalopram stopped working for me after 4 years so my gp introduced mirtazapine. I started on 15mg which was a lot more sedating than the 30mg I eventually went up too. I'll be honest at first it helped with sleep and my appetite. But the more I took it the worse I seemed to get mentally and had a bit of a breakdown I stuck with them for 8 weeks in total. I'm not saying this to scare you or put you off because everything works differently for everybody. I heard that mirtazapine withdrawal was really bad and this scared me a lot but honestly I didn't have a single withdrawal symptom so if you decide to stop try not to worry about withdrawal from mirt. Good luck I really hope this works for you 😊

• Posted

ive been on mirt 3 times first 2 times withdrawal was easy, third time was horrendous but nothing like citalopram withdrawal

• Posted

Sleeps been good since introducing the 15mg mert, and the appetite is back, but unfirtunately all the wrong type of food. Been eating a lot of junk again, and have put weight back on after recently losing 2.5 stone due to exercise and eating healthy.

Had a few more good days this week even though im back in work and my workload is as busy as ever (no ease yourself back in!) but today felt a little anxiety. Managed to get through it though and treating myself to 4 bottles of lager tonight.

Meds are definitely working though, in much better place than I was, and finally seeing some wood through the trees.

• Posted

I've heard citalopram withdrawal is meant to be difficult, but might be going through that myself if these citalopram don't start helping me soon x

• Posted

I was on 20mg for 4 years and now 40mg for 3 and a bit weeks. Still not working yet but I assume 3 weeks isn't long x how long were you on them for?

• Posted

Theyve taken nearly 5 week ld for them to start working again for me. That was after 6 weeks on 20mg, so 11 in total.

Hang in there pal. It feels like youre never going to get better, but you will.

• Posted

Thanky you for replying x yes it definitely feels like they aren't working which is pretty scary tbh as to when I first started them years ago they seemed to work pretty quickly. Did you make slow bits of progress or did they just seem to kick in for you and you noticed a change after the 5 weeks. Sorry for all the questions lol just need some reassurance.

• Posted

ignore that, dont know what happened there!

i had one or two good days here and there, then back to feeling like they werent working, then quite a few good days in a row and less bad days.

I didnt have a very good day Friday but after having some good days was better prepared to deal with it.

Much like yourself I dont remember them taking this long to kick in before and started to panic, which obviously makes it worse. People were telling me it will get better but until it does you cant help but not believe them.

Hopefully they will start to work for you soon,and I promise it will get better.

• Posted

I was wandering what that first message meant 😂 thank you for your support it does really help. When you say good days do you mean anxiety and depression free completely or still up and down but just better? I seem to feel a little better in the evenings and I don't know why 🤔 yes it is so difficult to believe you will get better when you don't feel it at the time isn't it. I hope the bad day you had on Friday didn't cause you too much trouble because that must have been horrible. Thanks again for your support I do really appreciate it.

• Posted

Good days were initially periods of up and down throughout the day but mainly better in the evening. I would be terrible in the morning and dread waking for it all to start again. I was off work though and sometimes too much thinking time in the house was a bad thing in my case.

Now im back in work and busy theres has been less time to dwell on the negative thoughts. It hasnt been all rosy, i probably went back a week early, first week was tough, but last week was a lot better.

This last 8/9 days have been all day except for Friday but that was more work / stress related which is my initial trigger.

It certainly wasnt a bad day in terms of the real bad days ive experienced in the last few weeks and months where I would feel I couldnt cope and suicidal.

If it helps what I have just written from my own personal experience but its only what @katecogs and others have written before me.

Before I started to feel a bit better i read the words and would pray i would start to feel better soon, but also because my thoughts were so negative I would tell myself I wasnt going to, and what if the feeling was going to stay forever.

Its natural to do that but I promise you that you will get better.

• Posted

chris can I ask how your doing now and if adding mirt helped you at all?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.