CKD and pregnancy??

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi All,

I am a 30 year old female and was diagnosed with CKD 5 years ago. I have been very stable due to a combination of diet and ramipiril (for proteinuria). Creatinin is about 220 and blood pressure is perfect. I am otherwise healthy and I am a healthy weight. My neprologist has always been unsure as to whether I should get pregnant and my feeling is that she is opposed to it. I went to an obstetrician who said I should try and get pregnant now. Since speaking to the obstetrician I came off the Ramipiril to see how my kidneys would function on their own. It turns out that the protein levels in my urine rose quite high (they were approx. 1 on Ramipiril and are now approx. 4). Since then my nephrologist has said that she couldn't recommend that I try to get pregnant. I am devastated and I feel like there is very little information out there for me to make an informed choice. My doctor doen't seem to have any other female patients in my predicament. My chice at this stage is stay off the Ramipiril and requrie a transplant within the next 18 months or go back on it and not require a transplant for an unknown duration. This second prospect is obviously the safer choice longterm but the unknown is so frustrating and I wish to be a mother above anything else. I was just wondering whether anyone else has been/ is in a similar position?

Thank you!

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

our lives are the results of the choices we make. 
    • Posted

Yes of course- you are very right there! It's much easier to be negative unfortunately than positive- so we must work really hard on being positive in life and good things will follow 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.