Claiming pip for anxiety and depression ?

Posted , 26 users are following.

I'll try and keep this story short ....when I was 9 I witnessed the bakery across the road from were I lived blow up due to a gas fault I also seen the owner in flames and as you can imagine it was a traumatic experience which caused me to have mental health problems including panic attacks , my mother took me to my gp and I was diagnosed with nervous ashma . When I was 14 years old my school friend collapsed and died on the school field and this caused me to have panic attacks more often than I was having them before ....I started to go off the rails underage drinking etc at 16 I became pregnant to my ( current ) partner and not long after found out he had a heroin addiction which also made my mental health worse with worrying if he was going to die ....I'm now 33 years old and suffer with severe anxiety ( I hope its anxiety anyway ) I have irrational thoughts constantly, I'm terrified of loosing my children I'm always thinking something bad is going to happen , I'm paranoid I think people think bad of me or are being funny with me . I'm still with my partner he is in prison due to his addiction he was diagnosed with bipolar last year . I'm sick and tired of these thoughts and feelings I have every single day and also if one of the children have hurt themselves like cut a finger etc I have a meltdown that I can't control I'm screaming and I can't look at the injury I over dramatise the situation and then end up with palpations , hyperventilating and shaking uncontrollably I'm mentally exhausted . My memory has gone awful I forget everything including important things , I'm constantly drained and sleepy ( I fall to sleep fine at bedtime I just can't stay asleep all through the night )

If I consume alcohol the next day is horrible my head just goes and I'm more prone to have panic attacks and paranoia ..

I think its time to visit my gp because I can't cope with this much longer but Im scared in case he thinks I'm loosing the plot and locks me away

and I also struggle to tell him how I feel I just can't seem to express myself .

My health visitor knows a tiny bit of my situation and tells me to claim pip because my condition affects my everyday life and I'm unable to work due to the panic I have , I would end up having a panic attack and running out of work .

I'm just so fed up of my situation I wish I was a normal person who could function properly but unfortunately I live every hour of every day in fear of something bad happening , I don't see how I would be awarded a claim for this because I'm not actually disabled its my mental health I suffer with

Any advice would be much appreciated

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi its so hard when people don't understand. I have mental health issues and because it's not seen they think your just playing games. I went to a place called mind they were brilliant they helped with all the forms for pip and I got it for 3 years then I'll have assessment to see if I still keep it. I have severe depression and homeless and no one is helping me at the moment. Don't give up if you need help or advice email me ok.

• Posted

hi i am in the same situation and am awaiting a decision, do people with our particular illness get a certain rate or does every case vary? thanx..
  • Posted

Hi lonelymummy

It can claim pip for mental health issues, there's plenty of people that suffer that claim it to help them financially. I for 1 suffer with severe anxiety panic disorder, depression and OCD. I've put a claim in myself and still waiting on my decision, they got my report on the 5th of July from my f2f assessment I had with hp on the 28th of June, hopefully shouldn't be much longer and I'll get an answer. I've asked for a copy of my report aswell as you can do that once the hp have sent it across to dwp.

It is a long process but it's better to apply and not applying and never know what would happen.

I'm similar to you, I'm afraid to go out places on my own even with my son coz I'm afraid something bad will happen to me or my son, I worry over anything and everything. Suffered with panic attacks since I've had my son as I had a traumatic pregnancy it led me worse than I was before. My ex didn't help as he liked his drink and I couldn't depend on him for being there for me tbh. Things got worse from there, and I struggle even more since I found my mums ex partner hanging back in 2013, I can hardly sleep so I have to take sleeping tablets with make me constantly drowsy and unstable on my feet, if I don't take them I will be up all night with my mind overthinking and picturing my mams ex all the time. And I worry I'm going to do something stupid coz at times I can't cope with it anymore, my son keeps me going, I think if I didn't have him I probably wouldn't be here now. Sorry to hear about what you've had to go through, but you can definitely get help, they won't lock you away they will advise you to take medication for the panic attacks and see a counsellor, which is what I do but I also take sleeping tablets on top to help me sleep, it's so hard to cope with as someone who ain't got this condition like we have don't always understand, should be more to help people with mental health issues.

I'll let you know what my outcome will be as it shouldn't be much longer, but definitely put a claim in, and get as much evidence as possible to prove to them and get help filling in the form, citizen advice helped me and was amazing smile good luck Hun xx

• Posted

Hi Claire, 

i was just wondering if you had had a decision on your claim yet. I am at the beginning of the PIP process after suffering Post Natal Anxiety, GAD, PTSD and severe health anxiety for over 10yrs. I have never applied for any benefits before and am wondering if people actually get an award for mental health issues. 

Linsey xx

• Posted

Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. You can take a look at the PIP self test, available by google search as links can't be posted here.

Lots of people with mental health issues claim PIP but you can't compare 2 people. We are all different and an award of PIP would totally depend on how your daily life is affected.

Evidence will be needed to support a claim, such as letters from GP, Consultants, a diary written by yourself, support worker, social worker, letter from someone that knows you well, any other medical reports that your GP has. Furture appointment dates are not classed as evidence, internet print outs on conditions aren't classed as evidence either. Don't rely on them contacting any medical professional because it's rare for them to do this.

Expect to have a face 2 face assessment as most people do, it's rare not to have one. Waiting times for these and decisions depend on the backlog in your area. Good luck.

• Posted

Claiming pip and getting the award is to do with whether you score enough points on their descriptors which are activities that affect your daily life .

Go on to this link and answer the questions and it will give you an idea about how many points you could score and if you are entitled to pip .

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Pip is about scoring points on everyday activities follow this link and answer the questions and it will give you some idea about how many points you may score 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi lonely mummy I have depression and anxiety I went to my doctors today and requested I be referred to a mental health team so I can start the ball rolling for pip .I had to get my mum to take me as I cannot travel on my own and functioning everyday is hard work i have to be promoted to do every day tasks .You are not alone I have suffered trauma in my life the last four years have been so hard but now I am struggling financely pip will be a great help if I pass the assessment .Fight for what is rightfully yours 
  • Posted

AT the moment i suffer with anxiety I am nearly 16 and I have to see my gp in a month

I’m always stressing exams and at home I feel I’m a failure I find it hard to remember things what really upsets and irritates me I always feel my friends are off or funny with I often have panick attacks and my heart start beating really fast I just go emotional my speech isn’t to great I find it hard to explain things properly I hate being alone I’m always getting paranoid about things and when I’m upset or angry I want to hurt myself punch a wall I feel fine but I still break down sometimes I wonder if I’m going to be like my dad a paranoia schizophrenic which scares me when my family argue and fight I scream and get upset about it and burst into tears I normally drink but I kno myself that’s not the right thing to do I really struggle sad

• Posted

Reading what you've written explains exactly what I go through on a daily basis although our past experiences are different ide like to first sympathise with you as although I'm a man I'm suffering to expect it drove me to lose my family and turn to alcohol and drugs which I am having help with I to can't even imagine a day working with others with my anxiety and paranoia I chose to self medicate with alcohol and the literally beat myself every up over it and hide away for days on end but if I can't work what help can I get ? I hope things get easier for you all the best ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.