Clicking and crunching knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have noticed over the last year when I bend down my knee cruches and sunds like its ripping, its feels like this too. Any ideas? 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would suggest a visit to your doctor.

I used to think that was a natural part of aging, and maybe it is. But if it's causing some pain your best bet would be to have it checked, at least in my opinion.

Good luck.

• Posted

I thought that too but am only 34 this year so didnt think it would be happening yet! 

Doctor says wear and tear and to use weights to strengthen the knee, I am not convinced! 

• Posted

I would suggest having a proper exam and diagnosis. Sometimes early diagnosis and treatment, possibly physical therapy, can delay what most of us on here have gone through. You didn't mention your age, occupation and current activity level but all of that could play into your a situation
    • Posted

Im 34, work in an office, have been active but stopped due to the knee issue - scared incase I do more damage. 

Doctor said wear and tear and to strengthen with weights but not convinced. 

• Posted

I would want help from a trained therapist or trainer before jumping into a program. Its true you have to work to rebuild but too much will do Mir harm than good and too little is a waste of time and money. Generally its a start slow and light and a o to up. Complete inactivity will just cause more deterioration. I'm 78 and in my 5th time over the last 11 years of doing a total rebuild and it isnt fun or easy but can be done. The longer you put it off the closer you will be a cripple in high levels of pain
    • Posted

Wear and tear. s the stock answer to knee or other joint pain from doctors.99% of people on this site will have been told that at some stage.

If you want to carry on exercising I don't think you can beat cycling

• Posted

Is there much pain or is the noise and feeling the popping/crackling that's the issue??
    • Posted

Not a lot of pain at all - its more the noise that scares the hell out of me everytime I bend down! 

I am just starting to use the excercise bike 

• Posted

Make sure the saddle is ar the right hight.too high and your back suffers

Too low and your knees get it.

Whether it's right or not but cycling is supposed to get blood flowing to the lateral cartilages and off course builds the quads.

I havent got a turbo bike so I'm weather reliant on getting my bikes out

• Posted

Thanks for all your advice - will keep on top of the biking
    • Posted

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on, I'm having knee trouble myself
    • Posted

I had an arthroscopy 12 months ago to get rid of the mild pain I was having.

Since then the pain has gone a lot worse

I'm seeing my doctor on Monday about the results of an mri scan

I've been getting aches in my hip too and because I had a replacement in 2008 I was worried I'd need a new one.

I had my 12 months check up today on my hip.operated hip and other one are both fine.

The surgeon said leave off having a knee replacement as long as you can as they don't work as well as a hip replacement.

I'd sooner go down the physio route anyway, how about you?!

• Posted

I heard the doctors put off knee replacements as much as possible. My partner had an op on his knee to fix a bucket tear and touch wood has been ok. He will never use it like he did but it's better now and no pain. A little stiff but when exercised loosens up.

I myself will leave any ops until I can't bare pain. Like I said it's only the noise it makes that scares me at the moment.

Sounds like you have been through a lot what with your hip too.

• Posted

I got a shock when the doctors told me hip was kaput.

I was 46 and enjoying distance running but took up cycling which I'm sure helped get some more life out of the hip

The surgeons encouraged me to cycle anyway.

Does your knee have that catching feeling??

• Posted

That's not good news to hear is it, especially if your enjoying running.

The surgeons encouraged my partner to cycle after his knee op.

My knee just feels and sounds like something bad is going to come. I will probably re visit the doctors after Christmas.

• Posted

You may get away with just building your quads up.

Is the side of your knee sore to touch??

I used to run with the kids I coach at a boxing club but I jacked the running in over a year ago

I sometimes follow them on my bike

• Posted

No pain when I touch it at all.

I will build the strength up on the bike and try what the doctor said with some weights

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.