Clinic/UTI follow-up news, really upset

Posted , 6 users are following.

When I saw the NP at the clinic on Sunday, she prescribed macrobid for a possible UTI and said she'd call if we needed to change to something else.  Found out during my lunch time at work that it is a UTI this time, not just irritation, and identified bacteria will not respond to macrobid - must change to Cipro.  I told her on Sunday that I'd taken Cipro before (the one other time I thought I had UTI and it wasn't an infection), but she wouldn't prescribe it.  I know how the irritation/infection occurred and hope it doesn't get worse.  Feeling bad that I took the macrobid for 4.5 days for nothing and it can cause C. diff later and ulcerative colitis, and I have Crohn's.  I am at work trying not to cry.  I know those who are used to getting UTIs probably think it is no big deal, but I am new to all this and don't want to wind up at the urologist's office again or the gyn or any of them.  I just need this ongoing year of medical/health nightmares to end and I'm afraid it won't and that I'll never really be well again.  I want to break through all this and feel better, but it seems like it never stops.  What if the Cipro doesn't work??

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It will work my love. I went through a time of utis and believe me I don't so well with antibiotics. I'm also allergic to penicillin. I was prescribed trimethoprim. Seems to work well.

Sending hugs x

• Posted

Thank you, Michelle.  Just want to be normal again, just be myself again.  I know you can relate!
    • Posted

Just found out that the Cipro is ready to pick up after work.  Whew!
  • Posted

Elizabeth, what is the irritation part feel like burn or pain when urination or what?
    • Posted

So far, the symptoms are urgency and frequency.  I have not had any pain, burning, or fever.  I just have to go a lot!
  • Posted

i know how you feel Elizabeth, and I too want to feel better again.  I feel for you because of your other condition alongside all of this.  I am having similar frequency and urgency symptoms and dread now having to go to the doctor again, but looks like I will have to.    hopefully the meds work and you can move on to better days
    • Posted

Oh no... I'm sorry this is happening to you, too!  I hope you can get what you need to clear it up and move on to better days as well.  Hopefully, we will both feel much better very soon!

• Posted

aw thanks.  reach out your arms and I'll give you a hug cry ...

• Posted

Here's a hug for you, too!  (((metamorphed)))

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I had similar exp few months ago. I went continuos on BC pill to try to alleviate peri symptoms and had 18 day bleed which brought on uti.

Gyno gave me macrobid and had bad side effects but she kept telling me to stick with it. After me emailing her 3 times in 3 days it was getting worse I didn't hear back from her do went to the clinic instead and they gave me Cipro and in 3 days was feeling better.

I switched from this gyno not because of this but because when I was asking her about trying HRT she said I was emailing her too much and she would charge me for emails! And she's the one that's set it up so that her main line of communication is emails!

Sorry went off topic.

Since then when I went to a naturopathic doctor she has given me something called "d-Mannose" for future recurrences. I haven't taken it but it's a powder you mix in with water and it's suppose to help in having the infection flush out urinating and not stick inside.

Hope you get relief soon!

• Posted

I've read about d-Mannose and it sounds helpful.  This UTI began near the end of my period last weekend.  

That silly gyno... why ask patients to send you email if you don't want it??

• Posted

Maybe we are more susceptible around our periods. Where are you located? I'm in Bay Area.

• Posted

I'm in the Southeast.  I do think we're more susceptible during that time.  It seems harder to stay healthy then... when I get colds, they usually coincide with periods.  It's been that way for at least a couple of years now.

• Posted

I had a UTI once for 7 months. It was horrific. Alongside other illness and I too thought it would never end. It does, I am not sure of all your history and so on but I felt so run down by the UTI. It started for me with the most severe pain ever. I went onto drugs for it, but a whole weekend I was doubled up in agony and peeing razor blades. I felt as though I was being stabbed in my bladder too. sad

Anyway, I had a bad reaction to the meds and came out in HIVES sad the hives would not go away and I itched and peed for weeks. 

It did eventually go. I know you feel low I hear you. Just keep on with the meds and stay positive if you can. I am sending you a huge hug. xx

• Posted

Calliane, where was the pain that you had so bad or was it only when u urinated?
    • Posted

First it was when I urinated, then as time went on (it was a weekend and I was at Emergency on the Friday evening) Later in the early hours of the morning I had stabbing pain in my bladder. So I had severe pain on urination, then stabbing pains in the bladder area. I think what had happened was that I drank a lot of water to try and clear it and it was stuck as my bladder was so swollen.

The pain on urination did subside, but the frequency did not (over the 7 months). I would get a burning sensation at times when I would wee, but not always. 

I found out later that if you have a severe quick onset UTI that drinking tons of water if not the best idea. It does get stuck and what they should have done was put me on a drip and release my waters. Ugh. It as a nighmare. 

• Posted

Hi Callianne, thank you for the hug.  I've had this happen just once before, in January, when I had urinary frequency/urgency but no bacterial growth. I had two clinic visits in two weeks, two courses of Cipro (3-day and 7-day), and both cultures came back negative for infection.  GP was baffled.   I was referred to a urologist b/c the frequency/urgency continued, three visits w/him (consultation, CT scan, and Cystoscopy)... everything related to urinary tract turned up normal by then.  Ended up having gyn surgery and having ovary out, though, thanks to CT scan (long story) but all was fine in the end.

This UTI started last week during my period and I know what caused the irritation.  This time, knowing it's really an infection, I hope it will go away without a lot more trouble!  Too many medical "firsts" for me this year.

I am sorry that you suffered so badly with that UTI for so long.  It sounds like an absolutely dreadful time.  You are so kind to offer reassurance and I appreciate it!  Here's a hug for you, too.  (((Callianne))) Take care!

• Posted

You're so welcome. I know that feeling it's a kind of despair. I also get times when I have frequent urination. I never had scans and so on, I am so scared of Docs. However, I have put it down to a few things. 

If I am very dry down there it can cause irritation and frequent loo visits. 

Nerves

(I suffer a bit of agoraphobia) so when I go on journeys I feel I have to pee more. 

I also have LS so that can aggravate things. 

Anyhow, let us know when you feel better, or not better. I'm sure though you will be better soon. Thank you fo the return hugs.

• Posted

It is a kind of despair, that is a good description.  

I understand how you feel about docs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.