Clinic/UTI follow-up news, really upset

Posted , 6 users are following.

When I saw the NP at the clinic on Sunday, she prescribed macrobid for a possible UTI and said she'd call if we needed to change to something else.  Found out during my lunch time at work that it is a UTI this time, not just irritation, and identified bacteria will not respond to macrobid - must change to Cipro.  I told her on Sunday that I'd taken Cipro before (the one other time I thought I had UTI and it wasn't an infection), but she wouldn't prescribe it.  I know how the irritation/infection occurred and hope it doesn't get worse.  Feeling bad that I took the macrobid for 4.5 days for nothing and it can cause C. diff later and ulcerative colitis, and I have Crohn's.  I am at work trying not to cry.  I know those who are used to getting UTIs probably think it is no big deal, but I am new to all this and don't want to wind up at the urologist's office again or the gyn or any of them.  I just need this ongoing year of medical/health nightmares to end and I'm afraid it won't and that I'll never really be well again.  I want to break through all this and feel better, but it seems like it never stops.  What if the Cipro doesn't work??

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Elizabeth. I know exactly how you feel hun. About having ongoing medical/health problems that never seem to end & worrying that you'll never feel well again. I feel like that right now. And, like you, I am trying hard to stay positive but you do feel like its never going to resolve sometimes. I had been doing well with all my conditions with minor blips for the last year before I got ill again, primarily with colitis. I got a letter from my gastro consultant yesterday which was just so unhelpful. Telling me my colonoscopy biopsies were clear - inflammation within normal limits, polyp was "trivial of no consequence" & we will "catch up" at my next appointment with him at end of august!!! Well thanks for nothing!!! Just because my colonoscopy biopsies were ok, doesn't mean I am suddenly better!!! There's clearly still a problem not addressed yet!!! He might as well have written: so you'll just have to suffer until I see you next time. I had this problem with him a couple of years ago - they just leave you in limbo instead of continuing to get to the bottom of things, & in the meantime I am still off work (the longer I am off the more risk I have of losing my job altogether) & suffering. I had to make an informal complaint last time through the pals (patient liaison advisory service) at my hospital to get things progressing (I was on the brink of losing my job due to continued sick absence) which resulted in further problems diagnosed & subsequently treated. I now feel de ja vu, & hope I will not have to go through all this again.....I am waiting for a copy of the colonoscopy biopsy report from my gp surgery & then I will get in touch with my consultant via his secretary & see what response i get. They have never looked at my small bowel, & there are so many reasons now they should, so I am going to push for a contrast mri or capsule camera pill to look at it. Anyway, right off at a tangent there, but just trying to let you know Elizabeth, I totally sympathise with you, its hard going when you have what seems like constant health problems, even if you are a positive person. I think with the cipro - you musn't "what if". First step - try it for the prescribed period. full stop. If it works - great, no more worries. If it doesn't work after the prescribed period, THEN, & only then, review it with you doctor. Just take 1 step at a time, as your worry about it not working will hopefully be unwarranted. Take care Elizabeth. xxx

• Posted

Looloo, I am so sorry about your GI experience!  Did he remove the polyp, at least?  I had been feeling somewhat off with some Crohn's symptoms prior to my scope last month, but everything looked good except for small area of disease.  That has mostly been better since; in my case, I think it was mostly anxiety.

I agree with you 100% about the Cipro and was glad to go ahead and pick it up yesterday and take it with dinner so I can start to feel better.  I just feel thrown off course knowing it is really an infection this time.  Like you say, going the "what if" route won't help - and hey, the Cipro might clear it up!  I'm trying to get past the surprise of having two infections in less than a month (other was sinus) and get into the mindset of getting well.  

I do hope you can get the MRI or camera pill!  It's so hard when you are struggling and practitioners act like it is no big deal.  It would definitely be terrible to lose your job.  Keep me posted!!

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. I am more angry than anything. Part of what I brought up when I had to complain at beginning of last year, was how my consultant just leaves me in limbo. They just don't seem to consider how distressing symptoms can be, & how it affects EVERYDAY life. I know they have patients worse off than me, but it would be the end of my world if I lost my job too on top of this. I hope you feel better soon with cipro, & I'll keep you posted on how I get on with my gi consultant. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.