Clobetasol for Lichen Sclerosus

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I am 29 and have recently been diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus. I have had moderate success with using baking soda/borax, however last week was my first meeting with a dermatologist. He suggested to do a pulse treatment with Clobetasol, applying 3 days in a row taking the rest of the week off then repeating the following week. This is to be done for 2 months and then I am to decrease down to a maintenance dose of 1x per week. Right now things are not too bad, which is why the treatment is not super agressive... my problem is that when I started (3 days ago) almost immediately ( I noticed after the 2nd application) things went more white than they were before I started. It seems to be everywhere that I have applied the cream. I only use a pea sized amount. Has this ever happened to any of you? I will ring the dermatologist's office on Monday, but he is 3 hrs away so I wont be able to see him for a while and I am starting to worry that the clob is making it worse somehow!?

Sorry everyone, I am in a bit of a panic mode right now. Thanks in advance for anyone that takes time to reply smile

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've noticed that as well. I think that it is the clob absorbing into the skin since its white. I'm not sure though. Hope it helps

• Posted

I am really hoping that is the case, maybe some sort of temporary hypopigmentation reaction. I will call the office tomorrow and if/when I get an answer I will post what they say on here.

• Posted

Yes, i have experienced that as well.  Not until I started using baking soda and later borax did it change and in the end disappear completely.  As long as I keep doing the rinsing and baths with mainly borax at present, and keep my strict diet I'm doing fine.

• Posted

Hi Hanny,  Please tell me the brand of Borax you use and the measurements.  I can't get my head around that Borax is a detergent.

• Posted

Hanny,

Thanks for your reply. Do you still use the Clob as maintenance or only borax/baking soda?? And what diet are you strictly following?

• Posted

HI Susan,  

I use borax in my spray/Perin bottle after most bathroom visits.  (three pinches mixed with pleasantly warm water)  And I use 1/6 cup in a full bath.  It doesn't sound like much, but it is sufficient for me to keep LS under control.  

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I very rarely use clobetasol, though I have it as a stand by.  As long as I do regular borax and/or baking soda baths and rinses, moisturize with coconut oil and keep my diet I do fine.  My diet: added sugar free, no gluten, no caffeine, no alcohol, limited dairy (only a good quality yoghurt without sugar)  

But sometimes I am weak - the other day I ate a very small piece of chocolate.  The next morning I woke up early and felt the well know LS 'sensation'.  Quickly sat in my bath for a while.  

• Posted

Hi Jessica,  I use the Clob in extreme insane itching and mix it with my Emuaid.  The Clob although it relieves the itching, it can make the situation worse by thinning the skin.  That might be what the white patches are, thin skin. It's a catch 22.  I'm seeing my GYN tomorrow to get some more clarity on my situation.  It ain't pretty down there.

Good luck with this dreadful skin condition.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Susan. It is such a frustrating condition, isn't it!

My dermatologist assured me that I dont need to worry about thinning since Lichen Sclerosus is essentially a problem with thickening. I just dont know. After the appointment I was feeling positive, but wasnt expecting things to go so white so quickly with the clob.

• Posted

LS is very very frustrating.  Just when I think things are clearing up, I wake up to a new landscape down there. I can feel things shifting.  The Clob can thin the skin so that it is paper thin when used too much or too often.  The skin looks thicker when it is scarring. Aren't we lucky, we can experience both.  I feel like I have leprosy.

• Posted

I'm having a different, weird problem.  Only diagnosed a month or so ago with a biopsy and Clob was prescribed.  She said 2x day for 2 weeks, then once a day for 2 weeks then only once or twice a week.  I've done the 2 weeks 2x a day thing, now down to once a week, but my skin is burning red down there, all over.  I haven't been to my gym since last Monday to do my one-hour treadmill walk with inclines as my underwear rubbed my skin raw on the underwear line, kind of on my bottom cheeks.  I don't put the clob there.  I was about ready to call my gyno, but has anybody else had red, red skin?  I see the white patches but they don't appear extra white.

• Posted

Hmmm.. was it really inflamed when you started treatment or has it gotten worse?? If it has gotten worse with pain and irritation, but not itching, it may be that the 2x a day treatment with clob was too agressive. Maybe call the dr to check?

Aside from that you could maybe try castor oil or coconut oil for some relief... or even desetin (sp?) cream for protection!

• Posted

Yes yes yes. Can’t sit for burning so don’t know whether to use the steroid gel on these raw bits or not. I’m now on every other night treatment. I have been careful to moisturise with Dermol since the start. Frustrated. My dr must not have known what the burning was as she said it might be an allergic reaction to cream!!! 
    • Posted

What brand of coconut oil ? I live in the US. Is this the kind of oil found in the baking aisle at the grocery store? Thanks for your help.
    • Posted

Hi Connie,

Yes it eould be the one you can get in the grocery store. I just use one from Costco and it is quite soothing.

• Posted

Connie, I think I've seen it reccomended to only use organic raw virgin coconut oil. I had changed to that for my cooking some years ago anyway so I have it on hand. there are too many other processing pollutants or whatnot in what is usually available at the regular grocerys. Unless you've got  forward thinking local store that stocks organics as well.

• Posted

Thanks, Nancy. I'll check at Wal-Mart first for cost. Then research where else around me I could find it.

• Posted

Connie. Like you I had burnt skin in underwear line and inner bum cheeks and thighs. No one else seems to have this. I didn’t put steriod cream in these areas yet they are here and painful! Let me know how you get relief. Gym and even walking is out for me!!! 
    • Posted

HI yvonne... I'm not sure i know what you mean by burnt skin? reddish raw? Well jsut the other day i as checking which I dont' like to do.. and what!? the skin between my cheeks seemed really dark, really. I had no idea, but I slathered on the aloe vera/tumeric salve much moreliberally than usual... and 2 days later just checked and it's back to normal (for that area of the body).  See if that helps your thighs as well. 

• Posted

Yvonne, I just stayed away from the gym for almost 2 weeks while the raw areas healed.  I am still bright red all over down there and purplish, bruise-type marks.  I was reading more info about the symptoms of LS and that seems to be part of the deal.  I am on my 2nd week of using Clob only once a day then will drop down to only once or twice a week.  I still need to pick up either the aloe vera gel or the coconut oil.  How do you ladies avoid keeping the coconut oil off your outside clothes?  Thanks.
    • Posted

HI Connie,  

oh, the purplis is that what  iad last week and you've seen intel on that. thanks. Anyway, it was the ALOE with TUMERIC that did away with the bruising look very quickly.. for me.

Also what I've discovered in the last 3 weeks is that the Aloe GEL as a gel is much less runny than coconut oil. I haven't had any fear of ruining my clothes with Aloe. 

however in the past using coconut oil - you are right there is no help for that.. so I only use it at night and just have dedicated my nightgown to not bothering if it doesn't wash out.  

BUT now that I have discovered the joy of Aloe Vera I only use that at night as well any more. ahem, it juices up nicely too. 

• Posted

Connie and others I've just discovered that we can buy 99% aloe Vera Gelly at an online store called Thrive for a wonderful price. My face loves it too. I tried to send this days ago but it was deleted. Dont' know why. anyway, trying again..

• Posted

Do admin - can you tell me why you allow the name wal-Mart to be sent by Connie but not Thrive to sent by me? does that mean you are all owned by that giant? How very odd.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.