clobetasone is it best

Posted , 2 users are following.

I suppose I have a flare up but in actual fact this never seems to go completely.  My doctor, when removing the ring for a prolapse mentioned LS in passing so there must be some there and I must say I am alway so sore just there.  Anyway is this Clob the best and should I ask the doctor for another tube.  I am going to America later this month and want to be able to take my cream when I go. Its so nice to know one is not alone with these rotten conditions.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Clobetasol is the best, Bianca. We found a presentation by a gynaecologist who has 1200 LS patients and he recommends using the ointment rather than the cream, as it penetrates deeper. (My pharmacist was willing to give me Dermovate brand ointment even though my prescription was for generic cream.) Just wait awhile for it to finish absorbing before applying whatever oily moisturisers and barriers you use.

If you're interested, here's the link to the presentation.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/dr-goldstein-lecture-271556

• Posted

Thank you for that info I have just asked the doctor for ointment.  I was interested in you saying  to apply oily moisturisers after.  Could you explain what products you think beneficial.  I am also considering this not being L S but wonder if anyone has any ideas what it could be if not L S.
    • Posted

I think it's safe to say you have LS if the doctor said so and gave you the standard prescription for LS.

We wait maybe twenty minutes or more before putting the oily stuff on top of clob, because you don't want this potent steroid oozing only normal skin. Thinning is the strategy for LS areas, but we don't want good skin thinning.

Anything oily with a thick texture (like petroleum jelly – Vaseline) makes a good barrier, and prevents drying out where you tend to get a tear and also prevents raw flesh sticking together, which is how fusing happens. It also acts as a barrier to urine, which is very irritating. Some of us use food-quality coconut oil (it's thick like shortening), some swear by emu oil (but some complain it smells like chicken fat). I use two different things made by local women – based on grapeseed oil. One is made opaque by a bit of beeswax and absorns nicely, the oither is more oily and sits on top. I think the main thing is to avoid anything with a long list of chemicals plus alcohol.

• Posted

Thank you so much.  I will start with the Vaseline and if that is a problem will try something else.  It seems to me that the clob stings a bit so that is why since felt the L S has gone and I am putting steroids on where is nothing there.  It's all very frustrating and I am now sick of all those conditions I seem to have.  Sorry to sound a right moaner.
    • Posted

I know it's a bit confusing – when we're not flared it seems we're putting it on 'good' skin. But then we're only using it twice a week and such a tiny bit. When we're flared badly we use it as often as daily. If you think of it as a penetrating maintenance 'dose' rather than as a symptom-treating surface cream in an area we know has LS, it makes more sense.
    • Posted

And I think if it stings maybe the skin's not as good as you think – it doesn't sting our fingers, does it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.