Clothing

Posted , 19 users are following.

My op is on 17th DEC xcan I ask you all what you wore for hospital stay and then afterwards as I have no idea what to expect or how sore I am going to be x would appreciate if you could let me know what you have found comfortable so I can get ready and buy the things I need x its my birthday on the 1st so I will be asking family to treat me to comfy clothing lol x thanks for help x

5 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As you cannot bend enough to get pants over your feet, and pull up, I found it easer to wear a cotton nightie in the hospital, took a couple, a dressing gown for when you get up. and slip on slippers, or scuffs.  Take some nice quality baby type wipes, I used Johnsons wipes, and you can wipe your face and anywhere else when you need a freshen up. Nurse (my sister) told me this little trick. Also if you can make it up, if the hospital is not suppling you, get a piece of 3/4 inch dowell, or br0om handle about 18 inches long and screw a cup hook in the end, pants puller, so much more dignified doing for yourself than having somebody dressing you from scratch. Yes does take some getting used to, but once you master a huge help, lots of other uses as well. Here in Brisbane Australia, hospital supplies you with cup hook on dowell arrangement.
    • Posted

That dressing tool has been a blessing for me too. Such a simple design but so helpful. Works for panties, trousers, pjs & even slippers. Still using it 9 weeks later
    • Posted

Gripper invaluable like long handle picker upper
    • Posted

Looks like I'm going to get more use out of those things than I thought I would sad

Better value for money ?

• Posted

I'm still nervous about bending too low but maybe more in my head. Also my other hip is in so much pain so lifting other hurts too much so it just makes life more pain free for me. Next op end of January so after that recovery I will be able to burn all the useful tools in a little ceremony.
    • Posted

Sounds like we will be in at the same time - I am due for a revision to correct a misplaced ceramic insert.

Graham

• Posted

Brisbane is sooo much more generous than Sydney. No freebies or home made things in this urban landscape.
  • Posted

Hospital provided a long handled shoe horn which has a hook on the other end for getting with underwear etc. Very useful!
  • Posted

Chargers for all devices & if u wear glasses like I do for reading. A second pair or a repair kit. I lost a screw out of mine night before op & I was in hospital so wasn't able to read or sleep. Hubby brought up spare pair & repair kit by time I was out of surgery
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa,,,I have now had both hips replaced this year.  The first time around I packed lookse pjamas and a robe,  sweat pants and tshirts.  Did not wear any of them.  Second time around I wore loose pants and top to the hospital. I wore the hospital gown and robe during the stay then changed into the clothes I wore to the hospital to go home. Just packed my makeup bag and face care deodorant etc.  Lots of granola bars since our hospital food in Canada is awful.  The only other suggestion is to have good elastic lace shoes or slippers with good grips for when they get you up walking with the zimmer frame. Good luck with op.  I am now 2.5 weeks post op from the second hip.  Doing well, staples were removed today.
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa, my op is booked for Dec 7th. At my pre-op I was advised to bring in some loose clothing as the hospital like you to be up and dressed in the mornings. I was hoping to spend my stay in loose pj's but the nurse said that was a no no. I am going to buy a couple of black pairs of the harem leggings from next. Also I was advised that I must take in a pair of slippers with backs, no slip-ons or boot style. I'll also take in my daughters trainers

as they are a size bigger than mine (to allow for sexy TED stockings) for physio. I am thinking more thong type pants as the sides should be higher than the wound. After reading a previous comment I wish I'd bought Short pj's instead of long ones

I was was hoping to just have self dissolving sutures but my surgeon has written to me an advised he will do subcutaneous dissolving sutures and then staple as an extra precaution against infection. I really don't want the staples but he's having none of it.

regards 

TJ x

• Posted

I'm not sure about the harem leggings. I didn't want anything near the incision because my nerves were all on edge. And many hospitals say they want you up and dressed, but the reality is different. I think most people stay in loose pjs.
    • Posted

I had 28 staples & my scar is so thin & clear. There's a post on here somewhere that patients compared scars by length, width etc. I'm so pleased with mine but haven't posted yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.