Clots with fribroids?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Do any of you experience the passage of multiple, large clots during your period?

I pass them when I sneeze, stand-up and other inopportune times. When I wear tampons (usually only the first 2 days beceause the flow is so heavy), the clots seem to collect and cause cramping, and when I remove the tampon the clots rush out and my bathroom looks like a crime scene.

I was diagnosed with fibroids 4 years ago, but suspect I may have had them longer because of heavy flow and clots.

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I do! My GP discovered my fibroids last week during my yearly physical. I Just had an ultrasound today and was told that I have several large fibroids and a bunch of smaller ones. My period is super heavy with a lot of clotting. I wear a tampon and a pad at the same time bcuz of the heavy bleeding. The clots come out in the shower and In the toilet. It's a mess! I had a blood transfusion 2 wks ago bcuz fibroids made me anemic. I should've seen a doctor for this years ago. But I didn't think it was that serious until I fainted recently due to anemia. I'm ready to get rid of these fibroids and heavy cycles for good!

I'm trying to conceive so I guess I'll be having surgery soon.

• Posted

Can uterine fibroids cause you to become anemic? I have a uterine fibroid. Im told its not that big maybe like two cm or something like that. I have had a history of anemia though. I have had heavy menstraul periods for years. Which leads me to believe that I have had this fibroid longer than when I was originally diagnosed with it. I do cramp although not as bad as years past. But I do have clots come out and the first day especially is really heavy. I swear I go thru a tampon an hour. Could this be connected to my uterine fibroid?
    • Posted

Yes they can cause you to be anemic. Your fibroid is probably causing the clots too. You can get an ultrasound or MRI to find out the size and location. 
    • Posted

Yea I had an ultrasound done a few months ago. Fibroid was the same and my ovarian cyst that I had went away. I do annual untralsounds to progress if they get bigger. 
  • Posted

I do as well. in February I had a big squared clots rushed out when I was in the toilette. i was scared cuz It used to happy to me but not with that size and bleed. I thought was just a isolated case but in the next coming periods I kept having different size clots and uncontrolled. I scared to have a shower during my period cuz Aall the time I have to clean the bleed. So In June I decided to go to my GP and I discovered to have six fibroids. One quite  big and the other small. I think that I had the fibroids years ago but Since most of my friends and family women told me it was normal have havy period or/ and irregular sized clots. I did not give so much importance. I have also aneamia, well since 10 years almost but doctors said being african is common to have but I was not agree with me. Since I was just 18,I accepted the explanation but i think I should not have done. God bless all of us for what we are facing. it is tough but we can all overcome.
    • Posted

That makes me angry, Just because you are African, and they are more common, does not mean you should have to suffer, and not get treatment. I am in the US too. I Know that African Women are more prone to getting Fibroids, But that does not mean you should just put up with the pain and suffering. Try and get treatment if you can. take care yourself, DO NOT let them get to big, it can really cause damage if you do not stay on it. Best Wishes from America, we are all women on one Planet, all suffering from the same human conditions, the world needs more compassion right now, we need to Love and supportt each other, as Women this comes naturally, pass it on..Peace Sister.
    • Posted

I believe it has to do with diet. Either they don't know or don't say. I found a book to make the uterus not conducive for fibroids to grow by changing the environment. So even when you have the fibroids removed, they don't grow back. They "should" shrink on their own. So I'm teaching my daughter about what they are etc and how to prevent NOW, while she's young. PREVENTION is the best medicine. Prayerfully it works and I'm not too late!

• Posted

Hi USgal,

I'm afraid that I have exactly the same problem as yourself, I've just been prescribed Esmya for the bleeding and clots, which although has taken a week, seems to have helped.

I also find tranexamic acid helps with clots, although in the Uk is only prescribed for a short period of 4 days.

I have one large fibroid of 10cm and the bleeding/clotting is pretty relentless. I hope you get some relief from it soon.

• Posted

Hi Danni,

Could I ask if you take tranexamic and esmya at same time? my gyne prescribed me Esmya for 3 months of treatment  but I stoped to take tranexamic. After three days I am taking Esmya I feel the different. it really works. thank you Natacha

• Posted

I'm unsure on that one, probably best to ask gynae? I stopped taking all other medication so that I could see how well Esmya was working, to make sure nothing was masking its effects. So just now all I am taking is Esmya.

• Posted

Hi, yes I used to have clotting all the time, after taking 3 courses of Esmya I haven't got rid of the fibroids, but they have reduced enough to make the bleeding much lighter. Whenever I got up either from bed, or sitting for a long time, I had to rush to the toilet as I knew no pad would contain the clots. I even resorted to wearing Tena pants with a pad inside to avoid leaks if I was socializing or travelling. I now also no longer have lower back and hip pain, which is a relief.

• Posted

Yes. That pretty much describes most of my periods since I was diagnosed with FIBRoids. Clots so big sometimes, I even gasp. But that's normal with Fibroids. My last period lasted 4 weeks with no break. Then a week off, then it started again for a couples days and then stopped again. It's insanely inconvenient. I have an appointment to see my Doctor next month to talk about my options again.

• Posted

I'm going on months with no break and it seems to be getting worse. I used to think you could tell by the color if was the fibroid or cycle. Now it's all the same. A few years ago I had 3 months off talk about party. Now, it's a nightmare. If I wasn't spotting for 3-4 days, Cycle for 15 plus and 1-2 days off before spotting for another 7 days and back on. Now there is no off switch. I can't believe this.

• Posted

Yes!! Sometimes it is worse than others.  I also have fibroids.  I am 48 years old so I am trying to wait until I go in to menopause because the fibroids usually shrink.  I am trying to deal with it naturally.  First of all, I have found that my periods are super heavy and last longer in the winter.  So, being from the midwest US, where there is little sun in the winter,  that led me to believe that it was related to my sun exposure, so I started taking more vitamin D.   That has seem to help calm my periods down.  Also, I read that fish oil is an anti-inflammatory, so I take two 1,000 mg. of that a day.  Sometimes I swear that it almost stops my period instantly.  I also read that beer messes with your estrogen.  I noticed that even if I have just a half of a beer, my period is heavy, so I believe that too and do not drink beer anymore, just wine.  One last thing, if you are anemic, my hemotologist said that that can make you bleed more, so I take 56 mg. of iron a day.  All of this seems to really help.  I keep mentioning it in the forums but no one ever responds so I do not know if anyone has taken these things in to consideration or have had the same experiences.  But, back to answering your question, yes, I have had periods where I would rush to the bathroom and the pressure would push the tampon out and it would look like a blood seen.  It is very scary and have been tempted to go straight to the hospital.  I wear the super heavy duty tampons and overnight pads every day all day cause I never know when I am going to have an "explosion".  Right now it is very calm and has been for over a month.  I really think it is ultimately the fish oil that is helping.  I travel a lot and I carry a whole box of tampons and a whole bag of pads.  Annoying!!  I wish you luck.  I hope that if you find anything that helps that you would share.  Oh yea, I do not have any pain or problems urinating, so that may be why I can deal with it for so long, about 4-5 years.

• Posted

Hi raeffaela,

I stared having large clots and heavy bleeding last November. I already knew I had a few fibroids so I was startled when it first happened . I too am trying to wait it out until menopause. I am 51. I skipped my first period this summer but then went back to a 3 week period. I tried hormones (provera) and they made the clots worse. I tried an IUD but a clot pushed it out after one month ! I started taking supplements. Fish oil . Minerals. Vitamin D. And Iron! I just had my blood tested last week because I had been anemic in Nov. When this started. My iron strores were good ! I also have a supplement that might interest you called Slow Flow by vitanica. I ordered it from Amazon. I took it on my heaviest days this past period and it decreased my flow by at least 40%. I do get fairly anxious during my first three or 4 days because I can tell when I am going to pass a clot and have to get to the bathroom ASAP!! I'm tempted to try depends for the first few days if I have to leave the house . Tampons don't work because the clots push them out. I am this month trying natural progesterone as well and am curious to see if that helps. Let me know how you are doing!

• Posted

Avoid any progesterone like the Plague ! Fibroids grow on progesterone ! That is why meds like Esmya and Lupron work, they Block progesterone putting you into a false menopause and getting fibroids to shrink. Best wishes, Iris
    • Posted

Yes absolutely agree. I took progesterone tabs after I was first diagnosed with fibroids and they tripled in size! I still read advice about taking progesterone on medical websites but this can't be right if Esmya works by blocking it. Wish they would do more research on these horrible growths that are ruining our lives.

• Posted

Dear Lorene51,

I am doing really well. I really think it is a combination of green tea and fish oil. In the last month and a half I have only had two "explosions" as I call them. I am back to exercising and feel like my tummy has gone down some. I still have very little spotting everyday. I still do wear a tampon and pad cause I am paranoid. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

• Posted

Thanks for that. That medicine sounds familiar. I think a doctor put me on it for 10 days or so to see if it would stop my bleeding. It has been the first medicine I have had. DIDN'T WORK. Won't take again.

• Posted

Yes I am getting ready to be on lupron fir the next 3 months.  Honestly I am scared. I am about to turn 37.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.