co codamol addiction an withdrawals

Posted , 60 users are following.

ive been taking co codamols 30/500 for over 5 years the last three years taking 2 four times a day , my doc told me to take them regularly as im alergic to asprin and anti infamatories , i have two town and buldging discs in my lower back , anyway i have suffered terible tummy problems weight gain and dependancy while taking them , always thinking about when i can take the next dose , not even in pain dont know if i was in pian i just took them bcos i was told to to keep my pain down , ive jsut had a stint in hospital for tummy problems , and i think these tablets have added to them problems without a doubt , i feel i dont need these pills for pain now more for addiction and habbit , anyway cut a long story short i came out of hospital yesterday i had taken none was ok day 2 today sever cramps , diareah , flu like symptoms , awfull pain shakes , anyway i taken paracetamol to ease the pain didnt touch it so i took 1 dihidracodine 30mg withing mins the cramps stopped , havent needed anything else so i think im over the worse of the withdrawals , i wont ever be taking them again , i feel like ive just taken the lining off my stomach , why oh why do the docs prescribe these pills so easily , i made my own choice to come off these pills i dont even take any more than prescribed amount but still i have never experienced pain and cramps like that in my life !!! anyone had the same problems ??

5 likes, 243 replies

243 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I feel for you!

I think we all know Know that we are addicts and that drug companies have a lot to answer for, for not making these side effects clear. I’m not going to take these vile tablets anymore, but still crave them, but god willing I think now I am over the worst effects of withdrawal. It’s pathetic that if you tell your doctor that you are addicted to painkillers then the doc will no longer supply them. Take pity on poor Michael Jackson.

• Posted

But doctors also have to take responsibility. They are the ones who prescribe the drugs in the first place and then as in my case put them on repeat prescription. Mine care reviewed annually but because I have rheumatoid arthritis no questions are asked.
  • Posted

I've been clean of Co-codomol for about a week now and although the flu-like symptoms and muscle ache are subsiding i'm experiencing loss of appetite, stomach pains and butterflies in my stomach. This is acompanied by slight depression and a lethargic feeling. Has anyone else experienced these symptons and can tell me how much longer i have to put up with them. 
    • Posted

Hi Harry, I think everyone is different, you should just feel better as each day goes on. If you've been taking them for a long time, like me, it's going to take longer for your body and brain to adjust.
  • Posted

Hi

i hope you dont mind me joining this convo....  i have been taking co codomol 30/500 for 6 years now, it started when i took 2 of my partners as i had a bad headache, it went from there to my gp prescribing them weekly for me as i do get sore heads from other medication i am on for my heart.  but if truth be told i dont need as many as i take...i can take more than the recomended dose alot of the time, i have also takin tramadol with co-codomol. i think i have built up a resilience to it as i dont have any side effects much anymore...i used to get the feeling id drank a few wines... but now it just chills me a wee bit. i know im addicted but im terrified of not having any.  ive not had anything today as im due to collect my script tom, i wissh i had the will power to not collect it and go cold turkey!  im scared to tell my gp as with taking them for so long i am scared my insides will b on the way out.... ive put 2 stone on in past year which i think is to do with the tablets def. 

• Posted

Hi debs - I'm having similar problems. I need hip replacement following horse riding accident 27 years ago when I broke head of my femur. I've taken co-codomol for over 10 years regularly and then last year my doctor prescribed Butrans patches as well as co-codomol!!!!  I've been so I'll this last 12 months gradually getting worse being admitted to hospital a few times. I was discharged from hospital nearly 2 weeks ago and was referred to mental health team with depression - I'm not depressed I'm suffering from opiated drugs and only came to this conclusion after getting out of hospital.  I took the patch off and went thru hell for 3 days and now I'm trying to stop using co-codomol!!!!!! I've been trying to survive on paracetamol but they hardly touch the pain - last night and the night before u gave in and took just one co-codomol and today I have suffered - my ears are ringing- I'm dizzy and have a banging headache - my skin goes from burning hot to me shaking in a cold sweat and the most awful wave of panic passes thru me. I would never have taken or used these drugs if someone had told me the effects they would have on my body. I'm going to try and just stick to paracetamol until the new year and once I'm feeling stronger go for acupuncture to relieve the pain. Hope you find an answer - good luck 
  • Posted

I have had no end of problems this year, especially with my stomach that resulted in surgery, then a massive weight loss. Its thinking about the next dose that made me realise I was addicted, time now to speak to the GP and get off of them somehow. I am scared that if he gives me a box of them etc that I will just take as many as is needed to give me my high. 
  • Posted

Hi Debs,sorry to hear about your story,hope u r ok now,I'm on co codamol but only two a night and I've been on them for a few yrs,well I just stopped three days and had tummy ache that bad but I didn't kno u could just stop them,I've had a subdural haematoma and brain surgery and I have fibromyalgia ,well I thought I was constipated so used glycerine suppositories and lactulose,I've been to the loo now but the tummy ache was so bad still,so I took one co codamol and it went,so was that the problem,just stopping them,do u know,luv Lynda

• Posted

ANY Opiate is bad news on a long term basis. I have used tramadol, then buprenorphine patch. I have been off the patch now for three months and still getting withdrawal symptoms. I was taking them for a period of 4 years or more. Problem is you will not know if the pain or other pain is still there.  Withdrawals are horrendous.
  • Posted

I've not taken co-codomol now for 14 days and I removed the BuTrans patch 19 days ago - I have been in a very bad place but thankfully I feel a bit better every day and so glad I went 'cold turkey'. I know it might takes months to get back to 'normal' but I'm going to do it.. I've been taking co-codomol for well over 10 years and had the patches for over 12 months. Since July when I had my fourth heart attack i have been so Ill and thought it was the meds for my heart but the consultant said there was no way the heart meds would give me the symptoms I was getting so came to the conclusion it could only be the opiates that were basically poisoning my body. My GP has been of little help and more or less left me to get on with it!  I need a hip replacement and suffer with severe back pain too - I'm currently only taking paracetamol for pain relief but obviously it's not too successful plus there's the danger of getting stomach problems with this med. can anyone suggest a non opiate pain relief that is stronger or more effective than paracetamol?  Thanks E
    • Posted

Hi, I started useing co-codomol just as a one off for hand condition I have, one night my hands were realy aching so my wife gave me two of her 30/500 tablets. Wow the ache stopped and I had a great nights sleep (I have never been a good sleeper).

From that night on I took my wifes tabs unknown to her usualy two per night. This started about 3-4 years ago, when I first came off them I felt lousy so started taking them again it didnt take long for me to realise I was addicted to co-codomol.

It has now been two weeks since i took the last tab and I confessed to my wife what I had done, she has been a rock, her tabs were a stockpile she had built up and not thrown out, she has now.

My side affects from going "cold turkey" are and the worst restless legs at night and the runs. These are nothing compared to some I have read about.

The moral to my story is dont take co-codomol if you can do without them and definatly if not prescribed for you.

• Posted

Exactly the same as me Steve. Wish to god I hadn't started in the first place.
    • Posted

Hi Loiselane,

Its been 5 weeks since I went cold turkey and thank god I am just about feeling back to normal, the best thing is I am starting to have a decent sleep at night and "Its great" good luck with your withdrawal I know its very hard but you can do it if I can, one day at a time.

Regards

Steve.

• Posted

Hi Steve, it's been Well over a week now nearly 2.   I feel amazing been taking magnism for the restless legs, that worked an absolute treat.  Am starting to feel like the old me.  Free at last.  Got some fantastic tips off here too.

thankyou.

• Posted

Hi Loiselane,

Glad you are now feeling like your old self, I wish I had gone on patient.info sooner to get tips on restless legs, I felt suicidal not getting any sleep at least they are 80% better now since I have been off CC but it would have been easier with magnesium suppliments I think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.