co codamol addiction an withdrawals

Posted , 60 users are following.

ive been taking co codamols 30/500 for over 5 years the last three years taking 2 four times a day , my doc told me to take them regularly as im alergic to asprin and anti infamatories , i have two town and buldging discs in my lower back , anyway i have suffered terible tummy problems weight gain and dependancy while taking them , always thinking about when i can take the next dose , not even in pain dont know if i was in pian i just took them bcos i was told to to keep my pain down , ive jsut had a stint in hospital for tummy problems , and i think these tablets have added to them problems without a doubt , i feel i dont need these pills for pain now more for addiction and habbit , anyway cut a long story short i came out of hospital yesterday i had taken none was ok day 2 today sever cramps , diareah , flu like symptoms , awfull pain shakes , anyway i taken paracetamol to ease the pain didnt touch it so i took 1 dihidracodine 30mg withing mins the cramps stopped , havent needed anything else so i think im over the worse of the withdrawals , i wont ever be taking them again , i feel like ive just taken the lining off my stomach , why oh why do the docs prescribe these pills so easily , i made my own choice to come off these pills i dont even take any more than prescribed amount but still i have never experienced pain and cramps like that in my life !!! anyone had the same problems ??

5 likes, 243 replies

243 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had problems with this and when I came off them it took me a while. I eventually ended up planning it precisely and i think it can help. For the restless legs at night buy some magnesium supplements, can get them from health food shops and some chemists. The cold like symptoms can be controlled with the weekest lemsip drinks available and the stomach cramps can be controlled with andrews or alkaline seltzer believe it or not. I hope this helps some people, it got me sorted as I knew I could control the after effects. It gets better after a week at the most. It can be done. If restless legs are a big issue magnesium work wonders, I never expected them to but they just stopped it dead.
    • Posted

Thanks Neil

Will give magnesium a go in the future if I need to but I have been off the tabs 5 weeks now and legs seem to have calmed down a lot.

regards

Steve

• Posted

Hi Neil, I used your magnism tip, got magnisium and calcium supplements from Holland and Barett, just wanted to say thankyou so much no restless legs whatsoever.  That was the main problem for me in previous attempts.  Thankyou so much for sharing.

feeling like me again smile

• Posted

Hi, only just logged back on here, I forgot my password. I'm glad the magnesium helped u, it changed it for me too. Bein able to sleep really was my main issue. I'm glad they helped u, feel free to keep in touch if u ever need to ask me anything. :-)
  • Posted

Yes Debs, exactly the same. Been on the same strength as you for 3 years or so. Not even prescribed to me are my partners. It's downright evil. Have gone cold turkey this week couldn't cope with the pain of flu like symptoms stomach cramps dhiorea.

Am now down to just 4 over counter cocodomol per day. Yesterday I felt great today I feel so down.

• Posted

Also I had 3 prescription ones left was in terrible pain so took them. Had to ring 111 as felt like my stomach lining was ripping.
    • Posted

Thanks for the magnesium tip. Restless legs are driving me insane x
    • Posted

Sip Tonic water for restless legs too, the quinine helps. Also run a hot bath, add Epsom salts, sit in it as long as you need. Helps draw out impurities. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi... im on my second day from taking my last cocodamol. I feel shocking.... aching all over. Sneezing.. coughing... will it get any worse...
    • Posted

Hi Louise.

Could you give us a few more details such how many of what strength have you been taking for how long?  I used to be addicted to 30/500 co-codamol but came off them completely last November.  The withdrawal symptoms were horrible for about four weeks but in the end it was so worth it.

Lizzie 

• Posted

Hi lizzie.

Thanks for you response. Ive been taking 4 30/500 a day for the last 3 years.. started taking them because a had a car accident. Im on my 3rd day today. Had a dreadful night with pains in my legs... feel like i have flu. I was tempted yesterday to go take one but i didn't. I need to get through this. Well done to you lizzie. Any advise x

• Posted

Hi Louise

You haven't been taking as many as I was so the side effects of withdrawal shouln't be quite so bad.  Flu like symptoms is very common, I had quite bad diarrhea too as the codeine is constipating, if that gets bad try loperimide, available OTC from the cehmist. Its OK to take ibuprofen as a pain killer too. Keep your fuids up and don't push yourself but basicly you have to just tough it out.  For me the worst of it was over in two weeks but I still had probelms for another two weeks.  Sfter a m onth I felt like a new woman.

I was taking in excess of 8 30/500 in a day so I was eventually admitted to a&e for overdose treatment, which was a surreal experince, you by contrast have been taking less so that won't apply to you.

You can do it, be strong and don't give in to the temptation to take even a single co-codamol to help.  It will be worth it to be rid of this addiction.

God Bless

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Thanks lizzie your reply means alot. Im on my 2nd bath already today. But god its hard. Im taking paracetamol for the pain but i dont think its working. Keep getting upset because ive done this to myself. Some people have said to buy magnesium for the leg aches.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Lousie

Yes, I believe magnesium for restless legs is helpful.  Don't overdo the paracetamol just in case of liver problems.  You are doing great, I too know how hard it is and please don't feel angry at yourself, codeine is highly addictive and countless people have trod the path you are doing this very day.  Please don't give up, I'm sending you lots of hugs and gopod wishedsz

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi lizzie.

Thought id send you a message. 5 day.... and im so proud of my self. Had a bad day yesterday but i feel a bit better today. Wanted to say thank you to ya x. Big hug

• Posted

Hi Louise

Sorry not to have replied sooner but I've been away with my mum where I don't have internet access, I don't even own a smartphone, what a dinosaur you must think me!

Anyway, I'm really proud of you too, its today, expect a few bad days, its a case of two stepps forward but only one back, and gradually you make it until you are free biggrin

Love

LIzzie

• Posted

Hi lizzie.

Hope you have had a great weekend. Its 8 days and ill feeling so much better... just having some stomach pains. I will never touch them again. Thank you for being there for me

Louise xx

• Posted

Its my pleasure Louise, having been there myself I know how hard it is, but in the end, how rewarding.  You are doing so well

Love LIzzie xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.