Co codamol addiction how do I tapper off? X

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wondering if anyone can help me. I've been taking co codamol 30/500 for over 10 years. I take 6 a day. I feel I can't function without them but today I've decided I need get off them. ( Today I've taken 3) but that coz I never woke up till 1.

So can anyone tell me what is the best way to tapper off these ??

I hope someone can help me start my journey.

Don't remember the last time I only took 3 a day so suppose I've started but just wondering if this is ok and how do I tapper ?

Hope everyone is ok thanks xxx

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey everyone ! Soz not been in touch been busy in work. Update is that I've managed to stay at 5 a day all week! Well done me! Thanks for all ur help!

So as from tomoz I'm on 4 a day

2 morn - 1 afternoon - 1 night

I can only try see how I get on tho I'm worried about this cutting out 1 in afternoon coz thats the ones that " get me through me day "

Will start taking vitamins tomoz too, how is everyone ?

• Posted

Hi Carle

Well done you for managing to cut back, i understand its hard and taht it is worrying knowing that you are to go without. I find the first few days of the week where i cut down more are the worst. I seem to think more about when im taking them and i seem to be counting down the minutes.

You should feel very proud of yourself. 

You and i can both do this, we will suceed.

Wishing you the best of luck

Teresa x

• Posted

Thank u! Will see how I get on! Due my 1 at half 4 so can only try xx how are you getting on?💝

• Posted

Hi Carla, Im on week 3 now and i have cut out 3 tabs this week. I was having second thoughts on monday but after getting some good tips and advice from on here i stuck with it and now on wednesday. I am feeling positive again. I take 2 tabs in morn and then 1 tab every 2 hours with my last being 7pm. Next week i am reducing to 1 in morning and know that will be a struggle but i am getting there slowly but surely taking one day at a time. Having up and down hours-days but i will beat this as im sure you will.

i just cant do cold turkey wish i could just to get it over with.

• Posted

Well done ur doing fantastic!!!! What mg is it u take ?

Thanks let's do it together and be pain killer free by Xmas xx

• Posted

I can imagine. I know what it is like. Please try and stay strong. Lots of love and best wishes x Drew
  • Posted

Have you had liver/kidney tests?
    • Posted

Does your dr know yo have been on these for ten years? if not i suggest a blood test to see how your liver and kidneys are doing. I dont want to scare you but aently  canoe most of your kidneynction before you start having symptoms. Best of luck Carla,you sound like you are on the path to being codeine free
    • Posted

It's the doctor thats been giving me them this long!!! Biggest drug dealers out!

Not told doctor in coming off them yet as had no time to go but I will say to him when I go back xx

• Posted

Never understood last part of it msg you don't want to scare me but what ?

• Posted

sorry its my stupid keyboard, apparently you can loe most of your kidney function before you start having symptoms
    • Posted

Surely u would have pain etc tho ?

I'm tapering slowly.

Need to come off them at some point so what do u suggest ?

X

• Posted

slowly tapering sounds like he best way! ive been taking panadeine extra and forte for a couple of years and im trying to stop also
    • Posted

One thing at a time Carla.. look at it this way. First and foremost gotta get off them no matter what anyway. Its managable and damage can be recoverable in the liver. If indeed there is any damage in the first place. Don't have this scare you into being anxious and returning to more and more to cope. !! OK. We all have a risk of damaging our body because of using these.

• Posted

Thanks!!! And how did u guess that was giving me anxiety ? Hahahahahaha majorly !

Thats it what else can I do lol x

Ur rite xx thanks for re assuring me on this

• Posted

Thanks for ur input but I suffer with bad anxiety so I will NOT be googling . Whatever damage if any is done now so all I can do is tapper off and may I add I only ever took the recommended dose never more.

So what will be will be

• Posted

Carla.. I just know same has everyone who are here for the same reason's. A picture on your wall of dogs playing pool can be scary!! Its your mind that does that to you. And the odd thing is you tell yourself it's just a feeling. Doesn't make it any less real. Don't need to tell you that.

Aside from becoming a vegatableist tree hugging wale watching activist!! Take it like we do and thank yourself for doing this in the first place. xx Mark

• Posted

Haha so true !!!

Yes I am proud I'm where I am and made the step to change thanks for all ur help xx

Will be in touch again soon

Hope ur doing well today !

• Posted

Sorry for causing you anxiety Carla sad  think panadeing more affects the liver? and you get warning signs of pain i think. If yo havent had a blood test in a long while it would be good to know how your liverand kidneys are functioning

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.