Codeine addiction...and how to kick it.

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello,

My name is Jayd and i am 24 years old. I have been a codeine addict for the best part of 3 years now. I am now in my 3rd month of being codeine free and i cannot begin to explain how amazing i feel. You read forums and horror stories about how horrible it is and difficult to come off codeine and i am here to tell you now...it's really not all that bad. I want to help people like me. I will be 100% honest, i will share my feelings and tips and help you become the person you used to be before this nasty drug took over. I can help you. And the new, codeine free you starts today. Do know where all of the pharmacies are in your area? You know what time they open and shut right? You know which one you went to yesterday so you can't go back there today? You know which staff question you and which ones don't? You know the ones that remember your face and know what you're doing but don't say anything? You know how easy it was to get taken in by the warming, floaty feeling you get when you take enough codeine but then you had to start taking more and more and more to get the same effect. And then that warm floaty feeling is gone...you dont get that anymore....you  just have to take it because your body is craving it. And then you take too many and get that sickly feeling in your stomach. You haven't been to the bathroom for days and days because your so backed up. You know your bank statement has a different pharmacy on it every day. You know that you shouldnt be doing it but when the feelings start wearing off, you have to have more. Just a little more. And then you feel okay again. You think nobody notices. Your family, your friends, your partner & your colleagues. They do. They don't know the extent, but they know. Please, let me help you. 

7 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How did you do it. Very interested thanks
    • Posted

Hiya smile

I personally one day decided enough was enough. I thought tapering down and taking less and less each day would work for me but I ended up taking just as many in the long run. I binned my tablets and (as odd as it may seem) had a chat with myself as to why this was the end of taking all of this codeine and all of the reasons. If you are determined - you will eventually come out on top. You control your body. The withdrawals to start with are pretty rough. The sweating and the restless legs and struggling to sleep are all hard to handle but every time you feel a withdrawal symptom. Every time you feel the need to move your legs for the 12th time that minute- move them. When you've got the sweats - whack on a bit more deodorant. When you're not sleeping well - just go to bed earlier. All of these things your body is doing is to tell you it's missing something. It's confused as to why you're not giving it what it's used to. Much like smoking and nicotine addiction (I quit smoking in January too - I was on an addiction kicking roll) your body is doing these things because that's how it is designed to work. To tell you when somethings not right. Because it thinks codeine is right. But it's not. So embrace the withdrawals. Every single time you have a symptom be safe In the knowledge your habit is slowly being kicked. Being clean is the most amazing feeling ever. I will help all I can. You know where to find me X

• Posted

Wow, all I can say is well done :-) Codeine is highly adictive as you know, and very difficult to get off it once you keep having them.

I wish you well for your future.

• Posted

Thats awesome Jayd - me too, kicked a nasty habit in the arse almost 8 months ago, I agree you have to so want to be clean, unfortunately I have bad anxiety and some other nasty symptoms that kicked in a few months back, being fuzzy head, dizzyness and blurred vision, had loads of tests and bloods - but all clear, feels good dosent it!!
    • Posted

Awww sorry to hear about the anxiety etc but good on you! I couldn't even believe how different I felt after I stopped and had been off them a while. It was unreal! Just trying to help others learn now that the horror stories are few and far between and if you wanna stop its not impossible! We're proof!

Jayd X

• Posted

Just read this .. Finding your story and support might just have saved me , thank you jayd for your reply to my discussion last night , and your support .. Iv only taken 2 tablets this morning rather than 8 , I'm ready to. Know go this vicious cycle xx
    • Posted

Hey my lovely friend,

How's it going? Where we at with the tapering? Don't thank me! That's what I'm here for. Let me know how you're getting on. Much love. Jayd X

• Posted

Hi jayd .. Well Iv halted my daily intake now , from about 25-30 to about 11 .. I know it's way too many still but I am positive thinking and this week including today Iv only had 2 today so far .. I struggle more at night .. Iv been taking hot showers before bed and hot drinks and going to bed earlier some nights too .. I find it a helping me , and a few calms tablets natural ones , Iv still a long way to go , I know .. Some own contacted me on here to go public on tv for a documentary but I was too scared as too many people would know then my problem .. Not gotten the outage to face the doctors yet .. But I am getting there slowly I feel ... How are you doing ???? Xx
    • Posted

Oh I didn't see you'd replied I'm sorry!

I'm good Thankyou! Oh god no it's hard enough on your own isn't it! Don't need it bloody broadcasting! Hun you're doing so well. Even if it takes months to taper down just think atleast you're doing something about it! You're doing so well. I'm proud! The showers help don't they. Natural calming tablets can help a lot too. And Imodium! Hehe X

• Posted

Hi.

What you wrote is my story. I'm 33 and am currently right at the end of justifying my codine addiction to myself. This is the first time I've written about it or spoken it out loud.

I don't know where to begin, how to live without it, or where to go for help.

I need help. I desperately need someone to help me.

• Posted

Hiya Liz,

Sorry for the late reply! My phone has stopped sending me notifications for some reason! Sounds like a cliche but well done because i think the first step is telling yourself enough is enough. I justified it for far too long to myself.

What are we taking? Is it the 30/500 zapain/kapake/cocodomol or over the counter buying solpadeine Max or panadol ultra etc? May sound intrusive and I apologise for that but just to know where I can start to help advising you would be a good a place as any! Hope to hear from you soon.

Jayd X

• Posted

Hi Liz , just seen your message , firstly your not alone , I still am currently battling my addiction to these pills , I have tapered off about half o am taking now per day and this week is a new week for me , I am 34 , your not alone , we all here to help others as well as our selves .. How many are you taking daily currently ??? Big hugs X
    • Posted

Hi.

Thank you for replying. Was not expecting a response so quickly, and part of me was hoping to write my post and go unnoticed. Sounds ridiculous.

I am prescribed 100x 30/500 panadine forte every 4-5 months from my doctor for a health condition, and once they run out (Usually in about a month), I head straight for the over the counter nurofen plus.

I'm taking ridiculous amounts everyday. Can go through 15 of the 30/500 and at times the nurofen plus can be up to 30 a day.

There is no one I can confide in, I don't have anyone who would understand.

• Posted

Hi lyndsy.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I have hidden it for so long it almost feels like I'm alone in it.

It was a relief to find this page.

Thank you for the kind words.

• Posted

Hi Liz , i am the same 100 30 mg cocodamol every 3/4 months , exactly the same I was getting them from chemist to chemist or supermarkets every single day or going out and getting multiple packs , even getting my friends or partner to go in so they didn't recognise me ... Just at Xmas there I noticed I was getting pains in my kidney area , sore tummy , feeling crappy and generally unwell and started to really worry have I done long term damage .. I'm too scared to go to the doctors for help , as I don't want to be known as an addict .. I know it sounds daft right ... I have cut my intake by half daily now since new year but I have had the odd day I have taken more , when Iv been stressed , they help me sleep all night through , that was my release .. I'm now taking hot chocolate before bed and a hot shower or bath , and going to bed a bit earlier than normal , I find this is helping slightly .. I tried cold turkey it didn't work for me .. The tapering is getting there ... Slowly ... You will beat this , we can do it together xx
    • Posted

Hey Liz,

I really need to sort the notifications out on my phone! And i need to stop swearing in my replies because they keep getting moderated! Bad Jayd! 

Well one thing i can say to you Liz, here, we all understand. Lyndsy is going through the tapering at the moment and doing a good job may i add! I've been there and i know exactly how you feel. There isn't a sure and fast way for everyone. Some people can do the cold turkey (i did a very short time cutting down and then just stopped alltogether) some people need to take it a day at a time. Have one less a day. And then more and more. Some people really can't do it on their own. Some people need outside help. All respectable ways of kicking the codeine. But i reckon with the support of us lot here - yeah we might not be doctors or health professionals but i think we have more than that. We have experience. We know what it takes and what you're going to go through and it wont be pleasant - why would it be! but my god i can tell you it's worth it. You're definitely not alone. Codeine is one of the more silent addictions i think. You here about the cocaine and the heroin etc practically on a daily basis but you dont here about codeine so much. Especially not as the doctors just give it out and (in my experience) didn't even warn me how addictive it could actually be. I'm here to help you in any way i can. Hell you can have my email address if you like. day or night (when my phone decides to send me notifications) i'm here for you all. Coz i've been there...and i've come out of the other side. And if i had this support network when i was trying to give up i think i'd have done it alot sooner than i did. If anyone reading this does want to email me by the way my email address is [email removed] so please dont give up on this discussion. Let us help you! smile look forward to recieving a reply and helping you on your way to being free. Lotsa hugs, Jayd x

• Posted

Hi liz .. just wondering how your getting on ?? Lyndsy x
    • Posted

Well my  name  is  Berty. I have  a big problem with  n plus 18 year's  I am trying  to taper of them  is am taking  a bout  30  of  them a day  in was taking 64 of them. This is my second  week  it is  very  hard  no sleep  sweating. At night then shivering. It's  driving me mad. I.don't know what it would be like. To.be normal  it has been  so long 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.