Codeine addiction...and how to kick it.

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello,

My name is Jayd and i am 24 years old. I have been a codeine addict for the best part of 3 years now. I am now in my 3rd month of being codeine free and i cannot begin to explain how amazing i feel. You read forums and horror stories about how horrible it is and difficult to come off codeine and i am here to tell you now...it's really not all that bad. I want to help people like me. I will be 100% honest, i will share my feelings and tips and help you become the person you used to be before this nasty drug took over. I can help you. And the new, codeine free you starts today. Do know where all of the pharmacies are in your area? You know what time they open and shut right? You know which one you went to yesterday so you can't go back there today? You know which staff question you and which ones don't? You know the ones that remember your face and know what you're doing but don't say anything? You know how easy it was to get taken in by the warming, floaty feeling you get when you take enough codeine but then you had to start taking more and more and more to get the same effect. And then that warm floaty feeling is gone...you dont get that anymore....you  just have to take it because your body is craving it. And then you take too many and get that sickly feeling in your stomach. You haven't been to the bathroom for days and days because your so backed up. You know your bank statement has a different pharmacy on it every day. You know that you shouldnt be doing it but when the feelings start wearing off, you have to have more. Just a little more. And then you feel okay again. You think nobody notices. Your family, your friends, your partner & your colleagues. They do. They don't know the extent, but they know. Please, let me help you. 

7 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Jayd: well done, and thanks the inspirational story.

Stopping: either scale down, slowly; or if that does not work ask your GP for a Subutex detox.

Staying stopped: the hard part. Go to NA (Narcotics Anonymous) where you will find many like you. You do not have to be 'clean' to attend. You will receive support and a programme to recover. No one will judge you or question you. There is no charge and your anonymity is protected. It is a fallacy that it is only for illegal drug users. Look up your local meetings on line.

• Posted

I agree that NA works for some people but please do not tell people that anonymity is guaranteed. This is far from the truth. 
  • Posted

Hi . How are you .

I am the boyfriend of a 26 yrs old woman who is addicted to nurophen plus. She is a lovely person and I'm worried about her. I have been told by her that she can take up to 60 tablets in one time.

We both would've been most grateful if you could help her in some way.

Where to start. What to do .

Mornings and day worst time and most difficult .

We try to go out walks ect.

I love her and that should help when it starts but I wish there was something that I knew or could offer to her for help . Many thanks.

• Posted

Hello Andrea. I won't sugar-coat this. Your partner is in grave danger of killing herself. Most probably from a perforated stomach ulcer. The good news is you've got in touch before she's lying in that hospital bed. There may still be permanent damage but I'll come on to that later.

She needs to go to the GP. you should go with her for moral support, try and pick a nice, supportive GP. not some old beast who breathes fire!

She needs to be honest about her usage, otherwise they won't be able to treat her properly. Ideally once she's been honest they will prescribe codeine phosphate 30mg which is exactly what she's addicted to, but it won't contain the ibuprofen. The ibuprofen is what is killing her slowly. They will probably give her weekly prescriptions so she can't overuse. I recommend you overseeing that. Maybe giving her her daily amount so she doesn't use them all at once. They will then slowly taper her off so she will eventually be codeine free. They may offer to give her methadone. Helpful but she has to go collect it everyday. Not ideal if she is a working professional.

The doctor may insist on a stomach scan. Mine did but I refused. I thought if the results were bad it could tip me ever the edge. I just made a pact with the doctor than I promised not to use the nurofen plus to excess, thus preventing any further damage. I'm assuming I'm ok as the agonising stomach pains have disappeared. I'm assuming she gets the pains? If she does, you can be sure there is some damage there, just to what excess? She needs to visit the doctor asap. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, I've been addicted for 11 years and I have no one to talk to, nobody would understand. I'm sure people think I'm one of those that 'has it all'. I don't. My life is a mess.

• Posted

She needs to tell them EXACTLY what she uses per day otherwise they won't give her enough and she will still HAVE to use the nurofen. She needs to ideally not use Ibuprofen ever again as she probably has a very damaged stomach. You can ask me anything. My problem has led me to do things I never thought I would do. Codeine is an all encompassing drug that gets into your head and slowly takes over your whole life. I'm a slave to it. It's my best friend AND my worst enemy.

• Posted

And I forgot to say initially, welcome! We're all friends here. We all understand totally. Your girlfriend is very lucky to have you and your support.. A lot of us suffer in silence ( that's called shame) there was one person on here who posted a very honest tale of what happens when our tummy finally gives up. That scared the crap out of me!

• Posted

Hey,

How's your girlfriend? And as importantly, how're you? Have you taken any steps to get her help as advised by the other lovely people on this thread? If not I can of course give you some advice of my own experience if you think it would help? Let me know.

Jayd x

• Posted

Hey man. I'm been reading your story, it gave me some more hope. Im from brazil, 36 years old, and for the last 18 years i have been taking codeine (here it's codein phosphate 60mg), i been taking 15 60mg pills every single day (7 after lunch and 8 around 22 pm), never failing to do so, not a single damn time, all those 18 years. By now i am 10 days without a single pill, i kicked it cold turkey, mainly for necessity (no more easy acess to buy them), and i think the withdraw, at least the worse part of it is almost over. I still feel more weak and indispose than normally, but reading your story, i pray to god that in a few months i'll feel like myself again, like i did all those years back.

Thanks a lot for your help, sorry for my poor english, and i'll hope i made it. Thanks for listening, cause as many people here know, its a sensitive topic to talk to anybody, specially the people you love in your life, so been able to talk about here really helps.

Thank you all and stay strong on the road to kicking codein. Don't think the withdraws are so bad and scary, they really suck, but like anything in life worth pursuing, if you stay strong and willing you can do it, i promise you.

• Posted

Hey Paulo,

Well done my friend! You've done the hard bit! How are you doing now??

Let me know smile

Jayd

• Posted

Hi Jayd!

Searching through all these blogs gives me some comfort to know that I'm not the only one going through this.

My story is the same as yours, I know my chemists, I know the staff, hours, prices etc and I go to them at least once a week and have been now for the best part of 8 years.

My names Ashley, I'm 26 years old.

I consumed anywhere between 90 and 120 tablets of n+ everyday....without fail.

My usage went crazy, my finances have never been right since and my health has taken a serious turn.

When I was 23 I had a bowel obstruction from all the codeine usage. Spent 2 weeks in hospital and also had surgery. Since than I've had agonising lower abdo pain, I'm severely anaemic, last count my hb was 46, my legs swell and I have tachycardia.

All from n+.

In the last 2 months I have been able to go from taking 140 tablets a day, to under 30.

My abdo pain is less frequent.

My bank balance is getting better.

I am recovering....slowly.

But i know the years of abuse will continue to follow me, but I have done This to myself so I just have to deal with it.

I can't wait for the day to be completely off them like you.

I have done a day here and there without any, the withdrawals were just disgusting, my knees, legs, and eyes were all affected as well as my moods, but it can be done, I will follow what you have written about how it's just the codeine leaving your body and will try to make myself more determained to stop. Congratulations on being able to put a complete stop to the abuse!

• Posted

Hi Jayd,

I just told my partner about my addiction over the weekend. He showed me this site. You literally just described my life in your introduction post. Wow !!! Well done you for getting off it and I'm just beginning my programme. I'm so jealous of you right now and cannot wait to get clean. I'm starting the tapering down and am going to do cold turkey. Myself and my partner are going to take a week off work and I'm gonna go for it. I simply cannot do it on my own. I need help with it. You have no idea how good it was to read your post last night and to know I'm not the only one who got sucked in by this evil drug. I don't know if you still read posts from this site but I want to say thank you for the inspiration!!! If you are still there you might let me know and I will update you on my progress. Thanks so much again. Xx K

• Posted

Sorry Karen i don't get notifications anymore but i do check it when i can! Howre are you going? 3 months now i hope you're doing well! Let me know how youre doing! Don't thank me - i just told my story. Please let me know,. Lots of luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.