Codeine addiction and withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all i have been a codeine addict for 4 years now all started with a simple back injury at home a trip to the doctors and cocodmil 30/500 priscribed.

After a few week/couple month my back was better so stopped taking them I can't remember if i felt ill because I didn't know the dangers or about addiction at this time but my back went again so yet again doctor gave me these tablets 100 of them. I was on these for 3/4 month when I stopped I felt horrible sweats.rls.cant sleep all the withdrawal things so I took 2 tablets with in half hr I felt fine that's when I hit Google and found out the truth about these tablets.

Since then I have been taking them no more than 12 a day still a lot I know.

Anyway for a codeine addict like me 12 tablets over 4 years how do I approach the withdrawal.

Please help me get off these I have already tries taper plan and failed.

Thanks x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this Lana. Have you approached any Organisation to help you?
    • Posted

Yes I went to my doctor who send me packing to the drug alcohol team who wanted to put me on suboxone and that was a no no but it wasn't straight forward was at least a month before I could get on it.

Also went to go who wanted me to cold turkey which I tried an failed I have tried everything I'm so desperate x

• Posted

Hi lena I would suggest reducing one tablet at a time whenever you feel able. You shouldn't really notice it much till you get to about four a day. Pregabalin for a short period of two weeks max when you do stop. Then keep active and occupied and get as much exercise as you can. Get involved in something to keep your mind from thinking about pills and to prevent you dwelling on withdrawals.

• Posted

Hi John I am concerned about the pregabelin  here because that is a terrible drug to get off as well.
    • Posted

If only used for two weeks it shouldn't be a problem. It worked for me and got me through the worst of withdrawals. It is about damage limitation in my view. Plus I didn't find pregabalin pleasurable in the way I did find codeine. The pregabalin just took away the worst of withdrawals. Obviously if taken for longer they have like any drug the potential for dependency. However I really can't see why anyone would carry on taking them.

• Posted

I trained as a nurse and have found that a lot of drugs cause so many problems. The answer is to prescribe another drug which inevitably causes even more problems than the original drug!

Pregabelin/Lyrica  prescribed for my epilepsy caused cortical myoclonus in myself after only  three weeks at 25 mgms a day. One tablet is enoughto cause serious side effects.

My neurologist actuallyspoke to me again this drug this afternoon recalling the reaction I had to it.

I have researched this drug at length and yet I did not know unitl an A and E consultant told me that pregabelin can cause Long qt syndrome.

Horrific. The processs of withdrawal is very unpleasant but trust me not half as unpleasant as having cortical myoclonus etc.

If you contactthe manufacturers of this drug and requesta FULL data sheet they have to send it. Alternatively youcan check online withth MHRA about the side effects of this nasty drug.

• Posted

Hi John what is pregabalin never heard of it and how would one get some x

Thanks

• Posted

It is a drug used as an anti-convulsant as well as for neuropathic pain and generalised anxiety disorder. It has been used successfully for alcohol and opiate withdrawals. Ask your GP to prescribe it for a maximum of two weeks. I would suggest 75mg x twice daily or as required. I recommend waiting until you stop the codeine completely before taking as it just makes the withdrawals more bearable.
    • Posted

Sorry Hi Lena by the way!
    • Posted

Pregabelin is nver prescribed at such a high dose initiallu.

• Posted

75x twice daily is not a high dose Jane. A high dose of pregabalin would be 600
    • Posted

Jane I have just double checked that and 75mg twice daily is a normal starting dose for diabetic neuropathy. Lena you probably would be ok on just 75mg once a day but wait till you stop taking the codeine
    • Posted

Jane obviously you have had bad experiences on this drug. However I would suggest that that is related to your other medical conditions. Pregabalin helped me get through the withdrawals from codeine and as I only took it for under two weeks I did not suffer withdrawals. I would recommend it for anyone who wants to come off opiates.
    • Posted

Hi John Drs usually prescribee a low dose of pregabelin then sre how the patient gets on, if necessary the dose may be increased.

feel it best for the op to dvise on specific dosss .

Take care

• Posted

Pregabelin is prescibed in various doses depending on the nature of the condition being treated and bearing in mind the patients medical history, other drugs and supplements they may be taking.

The objective is to try the smallest dose first then if necessary to increase the dose accordingly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.