Codeine addiction (Nurofen Plus)

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hey, so I'm addicted to codeine, I usually take 32 Nurofen Plus tabs every day at midday (in 1 go). This has been going on for a year but I started doing codeine in June 2011 after I had my wisdom tooth removed. Every day I tell myself this will be the last day I take them but of course this is never the case. My tolerance is so high now I don't even really get any effect from it. Sometimes I take up to 64 tabs in a day. Some days I get a buzz, others hardly anything. Anyone on here in the same position as me who would fancy trying to stop with me? Moral support & all that?!

9 likes, 488 replies

488 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Can I also just ask out of curiosity, the people who are on Codeine Phosphate present robes by a doctor, which country are you in?

I have seen many doctors over the years in Australia and none of them have been willing to prescribe it. I've even had a number of doctors tell me to keep taking 90 Nurofen Plus tablets a day rather than prescribe me pure codeine because in their words "I've been doing it for years anyway so it's not going to hurt you to keep taking them until you're ready to quit"

I have 4 active legal cases running at the moment regarding doctors who have given similar advice

• Posted

Hi. My GP said the same. I have also visted a local drug rehab service and, guess what...??? they told me to keep taking NP+ but cut down. It's carzy. I can't keep taking it. My stomach is in a bad way xx

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow morning in Australia I'll be on the ABC Radio National program talking about codeine addiction from an addicts perspective. There will also be 2 medical professionals on the program, a doctor and a professor. I realise most of you guys won't be able to listen live however there will be a podcast available which I'll post here if anyone is interested in listening to it.

Wilro

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

My heart is with you. I have the embarrassment of saying this is my second time round- but the second was srupidly a self punishment going through a split...

All that said you can beat this I have been clean for 5 days and just left with my ankles aching. Lukily I have diazipam to help me sleep as I naturally suffer high adrenalin but it's critical you don't try and substitute!

Only up until 5 days ago I was taking around 80 N+ plus a day but I've stopped as cutting Down for me isn't an option - it just climbs again. I generally took doses of 16's and 8's through the day, mostly to make my cigarette breaks more enjoyable but a lot of its in the head. I.e. I would take an indigestion tablet or something and start to feel a buzz 'HABBIT' - trust me you get stop. I've taken a lot higher doses this time around and the cold turkey has strangely been easier- can't work that one out but not complaining.

I know it's always I need to stop tomorrow but time isn't on our sides. I don't feel like I've engaged with my children for 2 years and I had the most fantastic day with my daughter and girlfriend yesterday because everything I touched felt real.

But you have to mean you want to stop. I told my girlfriend about it, the dates as I needed a 5 day window to be able to work and told her what to look out for.... It was the only way. I now have my blue eyes back and nothing more than a hangover feeling. Trust me this is been going on for years since an old girlfriend over ten years ago came home with some and said these are great for hangovers.

Once you stop and fund that you can go for a walk out of that bubble you will wanted them banned too.

I travel loads for my job so have to by boxes and boxes to last my trips as they are pretty much banned everywhere else. I think apart from Australia and Canada and UK and I think smaller doses in Denmark and Bulgaria (what a hard thing to know on my part) - going to the chemist and hoping its the regulars day off... Ring a bell?

Look I don't know you but I know these white like demons and get sick off clearing so many spent packets out of the car week to week.

If you need my type of support please ask..... U ain't alone! smile

• Posted

Sorry 4 typos on an iPhone and just needed to get it out
    • Posted

This post is for anyone not just Nikki just trying to help smile

• Posted

Hi Nikki ,

How are you ? Have you had any luck with coming off ?

I would love to communicate with you smile

• Posted

Hi Inka, is there anything specific you wanted to know? Looks like you've hit a quiet period on here!

• Posted

Hi Inka, A couple of months ago I wrote my story on Nurofen, you will find it on this thread. Since the last time I wrote I spend another 29 days in hospital with a stomach ulcer growing over the stomach outlet, it was called gastric outlet obstruction, basically my stomach was filling up like a garbage bin. I had a major operation (it took just over 5 hours) where they had to cut the ulcer out along with a part of my stomach then reattach my stomach to the intestines. I now have a scar all the way down to past my belly button and have to change my eating habit, 6 very small meals a day, eat slowly, no drinking fliuds for an hour before or after meals. The pain I experienced when waking up in recovery was excruciating, then into intensive care for 48 hours then onto a ward! Not fun at all. I had a lot of stomach problems before finding out it was a gastric outlet obstruction. Today I am OK, still recovering, luckily I have always had a small appetite. I am lucky they didn't have to remove my entire stomach. Anyway, if you can find my original post it will give you a good idea on how dangerous Nurofen are.

• Posted

Just so your not sonfused, I spend 2 weeks prior to the 29 days in hospital where they tried to open the a few times outlet but it kept closng back up again, this is why they had to do the major operation.
    • Posted

Confused* not sonfused.
    • Posted

Wow sue1155,

Your story is more horrific than mine even though I stayed in the critical care ward for 5 days before being moved out. I was rushed into emergency surgery due to a perforated stomach/intestines within about what felt like an hour.

I was lucky in that my surgery was done via laproscopic mentors but believe me when you I can empathise with the pain associated with it afterwards. Even when I was home 7 days later any bowel movements had my crying in the toilet.

I'm pretty sure you could understand the feeling (after surgery, which puts your lower end functions to sleep for a few days) and the pain associated with any bowel movements in the weeks after.

People like you and I are thr fortune ones the surgeons can save. Too many people are so far gone that recoveries no longer an option sad

I spent time in a ward with an older woman who ended up with a complete bowel restrictionsl. The amount of drugs (painkillers the needed to keep her on meant she was so out or it most days she would lash out at any and everyone. She would cry at night apologising to the 3 other people in the ward. I don't know what became of her bug it was so sad to witness someone in their 70's have to go through so much.

I wish you are successful in your journey. Like every other drug user (nicotine included which has been proven to more addictive than heroin.

I try and visit the forums everyday to chat mutual my son, daughter and myself have been very sick lately so I need to prioritise thm first.

Like the rest us, you can do it. It simply comes down to a change in the way we think about things and Wether a doctor will support you with that. If some doctor's are being difficult idiots, go and talk to a pharmacist. It was my relationship with my pharmacist that got my life back in order after 4 doctors refused to treat me.

Good luck with itvall

Wilro

• Posted

Hi, I've started my own thread with my own story but I've followed and read this with interest over the last couple of days. I am just about to try and kick my addiction to ibuprofen and codeine and just wondered how you're doing now as your post was over a year ago. 

• Posted

Hi Jencs

Where can we find your thread? Good luck with your mission. Please read my above comments,some may help you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.