Codeine/Co-codamol addiction beaten

Posted , 35 users are following.

I've come on here to let those of you who recognise you have a dependency on cocodamol or codeine know that you can get off these hateful tablets. There's hardly any info on UK websites, but if like to share my experience with you.

I became addicted to 30/500 co-codamol about 5 years ago when I was prescribed them for back pain, and eventually was taking up to 12 a day. I realised about 6 months ago that I had a problem, and decided to stop taking them. The withdrawals were so bad, within 3 days I'd renewed my prescription and was back on them. I made an appointment to see a Dr and confessed. I admit I was ashamed, how had I allowed myself to get addicted?! The first thing the Dr did was to give me codeine phosphate 15mg. The biggest danger in taking cocodamol is the paracetamol, which can damage your kidneys and liver. The Dr told me initially it would take around 6 months to taper my doseage, reducing slowly to minimise the withdrawal symptoms. I visited him a month later as agreed and he had decided 6 months was too long, he wanted me to stop altogether in a month! Otherwise he would have to refer me to a Methadone clinic! This scared me I admit, and I went straight home and trawled the Internet looking for help. The first thing I found out is that Methadone is 10 times more addictive than codeine. Talk about scatter gun approach. I had asked the Dr if there was any vitamins/supplements I could take to minimise the withdrawals (buzzy head, restless legs, anxiety, nausea, diharrea), he'd told me no. But there is. If you search "Thomas recipe" you'll find a list. I used this list to come off Codeine. It was 5 days of real hell, but it can be done. If anyone wants any more info, message me or reply to this thread. If writing this helps one person, then I'll be happy.

2 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicky

It is so nice to know that I may one day be able to get off of these stupid pills! I am 29 years old and have now been on them for a total of 7 years for an ongoing back problem which just keeps getting worse. Over the past few months I think I have finally realised I am relying on these drugs to get me through everyday, so am i addicted.... a hard realisation to face up to sometimes! The side affects I get from the pills are mainly emotional, as I am so used to the physical ones now. I have tried despearatly to talk to GP's, consultants, pain management Dr's but why is it they never want to listen? I told one doctor I was concerned about becoming addicted to codeine and he responded by saying because I was aware I could become addicted I wouldn't..... where's the sense in that?!?!?!?!?! I mentioned to another ( quite recently) about the effects it is having on my life and his response was - it is what it is and all we can do is manage it..... so much for helping!!! Sorry this has turned out more of an expression of where I am at but its great to hear from others who have reached the light at the end of the tunnel!! Thank you for sharing with us smile

• Posted

Hi Nick.

Am off the coding have been through the worst of it could you please tell me about the Thomas recipe?

• Posted

Hi there,

Congratulations at coming off the codeine. If you're already through the worst of it you won't need to use the Thomas recipe. If you just put it into Google It will provide you with a list. I used everything except the valium - as I said, the Dr was less than helpful. I found the anxiety to be the worst. Again the Dr just wants to put me onto an anti depressant, which I've refused.

Good luck with it all, give me a shout if you have any more questions.

• Posted

Hi Nicky,

hope you're well, and stll off the nasty pills. I am on 3 of no cocodemol. I am going cold turkey. I am finidng the just feeling low and anzious the worst. did you expirience this?

Thanks

x

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

Yes, completely off them I'm pleased to say, how are you getting on? I felt very anxious for a long time after I stopped taking them to be honest, but it did improve considerably within a week of stopping. How are you doing/feeling now?

• Posted

Hi Nicky,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm struggling, not sleeping, moody, depressed / anxious. 

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well and still off them, That gives me hope. 

Never again I tell you, The empty feeling in the morning is the worst. Yuck. This s my 7th day now going cold turkey. 

xx

• Posted

Hi nicky. I am in my 30's and have been addicted for about the past 5 years. I first started when I was working as a nurse and another nurse offered me panadeine for my stomach cramps. The medication not only relieved my pain but gave me a happy and content feeling. This was when i first discovered the effects of codeine first hand and i've been on them since, even when I dont have pain. I take up to 10 per pay. Im really ashamed and dont tell most people but the people I have told dont seem concerned. (Perhaps they dont know what it does?). I have come off the medication for a total of max 3 months but lately cant seem to go a week without sad Im worried for my current and future health. I suffer from anxiety and depression and feel better when I take the codeine. I have told my psychologist but he doesnt seem too worried either. A psychiatrist put me on an anti-anxiety med to substitute the codeine but this anti-anxiety made me feel like a different person but not in a good way! I feel as though I need rehab but am ashamed! I would really like a way to get off them myself! What is the Thomas Recipe? Hope to hear from you smile
  • Posted

Hi

it's taken a lot for me to sneak away from the wife and search various forums for some kind of answers. not that it's a good thing but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one to be trapped by this God awful drug. I felt ashamed and alone.

I have been on 30/500 for about 3 years now for back pain that I honestly done know is actually there or not. I honestly feel I have convinced myself I have pain just to get the prescription. I beat this addiction 5 years ago but somehow got back on them from a new doctor. difference is with me I take upto 10 at a time. usually once before work and again after. as my prescription is used up well before my renewal, I then resort to buying lower strength 12.5/500 over the counter products. What shames me more is that I have to travel literally miles to visit various pharmacys so non of them cut me off. am talking on my dinner breaks, making excuses to go shopping on my own.

I am tired of the lies money 7.99 a day for the over counter products. lack of sex drive is causing real problems. I have blood tests and they are all fine but I know if this doesn't stop it won't stay that way for long. Every night when I'm drowsy and feel like....... I say I will quit but every morning I get up I feel I need them to continue. do I book a week off work and just take the hit of cold Turkey?

• Posted

Hi - my problem is very similar to yours.  I take 6 tablets at a time in the morning and evening.  I really want to stop and have started to reduce.  Did you manage to quit?

I’m so scared that I’ve done real damage to my liver and kidneys. 

• Posted

Hi - first of all congratulations for getting off codeine!  I am also now clean after using on and off over a 20 year period.  I knew things were getting out of hand when I had to rotate the pharmacies I went to rather than keep buying at the same one.  I have had one or two wobbles but now can cope without it. 

​Looking back I have tended to increase usage if feeling very stressed and also use at night to help with sleeping.  I was sent to the local Drug and Alcohol tems but was basically told that it was too low level for them so they could not help.  It was suggested that to help sleep at first I took phenergan (anti histamine) and this did work.

​The withdrawal was pretty rough but stopping on a measured dose would not work with me.  The worst bits were the 'head noises', upset stomach and problems sleeping but it eased slowly but surely.  There have been times when all I wanted to do was to go to the pharmacy (and it will probably happen again) but fingers crossed I am now clean and hope to stay that way.

​If anyone wants to chat for some support thats fine with me.

• Posted

I would love some more info on Thomas recipe. I am on day one of cutting back from using 80 tablets of nurophen plus a day....

please help as I am desperate to kick this addiction.

joel

• Posted

Hi I've bn addicted to codeine for a number of years now I have kicked it a few times the last time I just stopped completely but have to b honest it was hellish on me and terrible for my family around me, I'm desperately want to stop for myself and my family I've lost so much weight due to taking tablets in place of meals and when I do eat I've not much of an apatite, I know this can not go on any longer and any advice or help offered would be greatfully appreciated.

• Posted

Would really like to hear more on the Thomas recipe please

James

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.