Codeine/Co-codamol addiction beaten

Posted , 35 users are following.

I've come on here to let those of you who recognise you have a dependency on cocodamol or codeine know that you can get off these hateful tablets. There's hardly any info on UK websites, but if like to share my experience with you.

I became addicted to 30/500 co-codamol about 5 years ago when I was prescribed them for back pain, and eventually was taking up to 12 a day. I realised about 6 months ago that I had a problem, and decided to stop taking them. The withdrawals were so bad, within 3 days I'd renewed my prescription and was back on them. I made an appointment to see a Dr and confessed. I admit I was ashamed, how had I allowed myself to get addicted?! The first thing the Dr did was to give me codeine phosphate 15mg. The biggest danger in taking cocodamol is the paracetamol, which can damage your kidneys and liver. The Dr told me initially it would take around 6 months to taper my doseage, reducing slowly to minimise the withdrawal symptoms. I visited him a month later as agreed and he had decided 6 months was too long, he wanted me to stop altogether in a month! Otherwise he would have to refer me to a Methadone clinic! This scared me I admit, and I went straight home and trawled the Internet looking for help. The first thing I found out is that Methadone is 10 times more addictive than codeine. Talk about scatter gun approach. I had asked the Dr if there was any vitamins/supplements I could take to minimise the withdrawals (buzzy head, restless legs, anxiety, nausea, diharrea), he'd told me no. But there is. If you search "Thomas recipe" you'll find a list. I used this list to come off Codeine. It was 5 days of real hell, but it can be done. If anyone wants any more info, message me or reply to this thread. If writing this helps one person, then I'll be happy.

2 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi i was just wondering how you made it through the night i can manage all day but i cant seem to manage the nights thanks
    • Posted

Hey I know the feeling lack of sleep is a nightmare on my 4th day and feel terrible I didn't know that these tablets were as bad as this why does the doc give them out so easy. I just though I was feeling ill from sum bug till sumone pointed it out could b withdrawal from my tablets I just laughed but it's true I just stop but feel terrible ur on ur 10 day it must b getting easier for you by now

• Posted

Nicky not sure if your still on here came across this site just like you didn't relies how bad these tablets are been on them 2 months that's it 2 months for a knee injury waiting on replacement but run out few days ago thought oh knee not that bad so I left taking them omg I feel so terrible 4th day please tell me it gets easier

• Posted

Lisa, if it's just your knee that hurts then you might be ok.  But 2 months is a long time to take a daily dose of codeine. I can remember 14 yrs ago when I started taking codeine and I remember how bad I felt when I didn't take them for a day or two.

if your feeling strung out, anxious, sweaty, restless, headachy, diahorea or cramps then it's your body craving codeine.  

Yes, it does get better, as an early bloomer it will be easier sooner for you.

Good luck, stay strong if you can because you don't want to wake up 1,2,5,10 or more years from now with the need to come back to this forum. 

My knees are both stuffed as is my back and neck. I know how tuff it can be to fight through pain when you know one little tablet will take it away.  The problem is 1 tab becomes 2 and as time goes by 2 becomes 4 and so on. 

Your GP should be able to prescribe pain management Meds that don't contain codeine.

All the best, Shake.

• Posted

I'm trying to get of the tablets if been taking 30/500 for two and half years I'm trying to go cold turkey if been doing th I 4days and its hell every thing hurts head neck back hips legs you name it it hurts I don't think I can do it need help

• Posted

Hi Nicky

Im so glad i searched for this as I also feel like i need help. I started taking 30/500 cocodamol for migraines and sinusitis etc and my addiction is spiralling. Ive been taking some sort of codiene for about 5 years and if i cant get them from the doctor then I take solpedeine max over the counter which is 12.5/500. My mood swings and anxiety now seem to be getting worse and Im finding myself loosing control. I have been able to stop like if I go on holiday and just dont take anything with me I know i cant get anything and Ive managed but i really need help now as its far too easy for me to either buy or get the doctor to give me them.

• Posted

Hi Nicky,

I just realised this post of your is a couple of years old. I make a major problem with tramadol & zapain combination that was prescribed by the doctor. I am know addicted to them and have horrific withdrawels. Are you still using this site so we can have a chat and if possible a bit of advice and support?

Regards

Jimmy

• Posted

Hi Nicky

I have a major problem with tramadol and zapain combination which the doctor prescribed for me and I am not majorly addicted. As ur post is a few years old I was wondering if u still use this site so we could have a chat and some support and advice if possible. My number is 07481579121 if you wish to text

Regards

Jimmys

• Posted

Hi James, 

I've never used zap ain but tramadol is awful!  I overdosed on 2 tabs (200 mg) in one day!  I had also taken a cocktail of N+ as well so probably not the best combination!!!

I stopped taking the tramadol and swirly moved onto N+ up to 25 tabs a day.  Going cold turkey didn't work for me ( too painful and full on withdrawals). I've been tapering off for 10 months now and am now down to 8 a day.  There have been many bumps in the road but willpower is the tool to get through.

Im not sure if your looking to get off the tramadol and zapain but if you are, your in the right place.

Best wishes, Shakey

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Good news? it is for me, any over the counter medications that contain codeine will need a prescription as from 2018 in Australia. 

The story went on to say too many people are abusing them and becoming addicted.

"“Misuse of OTC [over-the-counter] codeine products contributes to severe health outcomes including liver damage, stomach ulceration, respiratory depression and death.”

It also mentioned withdrawal symptoms and overdosing.

Sue.

• Posted

Hi nicky

I've been on co codamal for 4 years taking 12-16 a day during the worst part. For the last 2 weeks I reduced to 8 per day, I've just had a op to remove my appendix which was scary. I've haven't had any now for almost a week & each day gets better I'm really hoping I've beat it! I had a rough few days but I'm hoping the worst is behind me. Can you tell me what you went through? & what it's like coming out the other side? I am going to a clicnal on Tuesday to be put on a substitute I'm hoping I don't need it.

Many thanks

Matt underhill

• Posted

Hi nicky ,

can I ask how long it was before you stopped feeling flat and horrible currently I'm on day 8 and am struggling with depression the cravings stopped

Please help

Daniella

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.