Codeine cold turkey help

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi all I've been taking codeine based products for 3 years now starting 8 a day now upto 15 a day maybe more.

No one knows about my addiction.

I did go to the doctors a year ago who put me on a taper plan it worked to start then I went back to square one so now it's time to cold turkey.

I have constipation, tummy ache, and mood swings all the time also have gained weight.

I really need people's help with this any advice from people who have done cold turkey.

I don't want to do suboxone or other things on just want to get back to the fun mum I was before I started taking these horrible things.

I started taking them for back pain which as gone I'm pain free it's just an addiction.

Thanks guys

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi hope your not feeling too bad today I've been on co codamol for years now and it's so hard to go cold turkey . Today is my 6th day and the worst is now over . So my advise to you is if you don't stop it's the 4,000 mg of paracetomal a day that will eventually cause you harm . Your liver just can't take the punishment and will definatley go horribly wrong . We all know the buzz co codamol gives but it only lasts for five minutes, so is it really worth it. 28,000 mg of paracetamol a week will kill you please stop before it's too late . If I can stop anyone can good luck 

• Posted

Hi lb,

​       Hope you are succeeding in stopping taking codeine base drugs.I had been taking co-codamol for about 5-6 years,initially for pain but then for the short term buzz from the codeine.I had tried to stop several times and failed.I think this contributed to the depression I also suffered from and was treated for with sertraline and mirazipane.That  lifted and I decided to quit the codeine first and then the anti-depressants.Three weeks ago I stopped taking co-codamol.The first week was horrible with a strong craving for them,upset stomach,night sweats,shaking and anxiety attacks.You need willpower to get through this but into the second week the cold turkey subsides considerably.Now three weeks in I am feeling a lot better and realize these tablets were causing me problems that are far outweighed by not taking them.It has given me the confidence to stop taking the anti-depressants which I have done so now for a week with thankfully no ill effects. Hopefully for me it is onwards and upwards and get back to the things I enjoy doing.Incidently I had virtually no help from my doctor to come off this crap only how to get on it.I think these codeine products should be more difficult to obtain and more closely monitored as I had no problem in getting as many as I wanted(not needed) even though my medical prescription record was clear for the doctor to see every time I over ordered them.I never considered myself an addict until the last 6 months when I started going on these forums .Please let me know how you are faring. Best Wishes.Tony.

• Posted

Hi 1tbtbtb I am still them I don't get the buzz or the energy from these anymore I take them just to feel normal. Well I've forgot what normal is to be honest I feel like a zombie I have no interest in anything anymore. I was a fun mum loved spending time with my kids now the last few mths they have been spending time on there own weather that's cos I'm a moody cow at moment I don't know all I know is I want off these so bad I'm just scared of the wirhdrawels. I did upto day 3 and the rls kicks in so bad the tummy ache then I felt helpless with the kids.

But I'm helpless now.

Anyway I have plucked up the courage to tell my parents who were so understanding and I have the chance to spend some time at there's in a few weeks so I could go there get help with kids my partner wrking away so he will never know the difference.

At what day wuthdrawel did u think yes I can do this did u feel the zombie state go if u know what I mean.

Thanku for replying x

• Posted

I think you need to get off codeine for the sake of your kids as well as for your own health's sake.

• Posted

The timeline varies but don't give up getting off this poison.

• Posted

Hi lb,Hope you are okay and starting to feel a bit better.Regarding as to what day did the withdrawal start to lessen and I thought I could succeed in quitting the co-codamol.As soon as I decided to stop I knew that it was a case of having to or face serious medical problems down the line.The worst withdrawal was the first week before the craving for the drug subsided.I have now not taken any for over a month.A week after I stopped the co-codamol I also stopped taking the anti-depressant tablets I was on.With this cocktail of drugs coming out of my system it a bit hard to tell which is affecting my condition and state of mind.I am having a lot of trouble sleeping and feel hyped up and wired all the time which is worst at night when I feel hot and tingly. Beginning to think I might be bi-polar!!!

?  It must be very hard for you having to deal with this and having children as well.To tell your parents was brave and good if they are going to be supportive for you.I had taken co-codamol for about 6 years but it was only 6 months ago that I had the courage to tell my wife I was addicted.

?  It is so easy for people to say stop taking these drugs or snap out of it with depression.But unless you have experienced these issues people don't know how hard it is.You only get one life and it it desperately sad to have to live it under these circumstances.

?   I hope you can succeed in stopping and as Jane says as much for the sake of your children as for yourself. Best Wishes,Tony.

• Posted

Well done.

​Yes you are bound to get a kick back after stopping but insomnia can be treated without drugs. Take care  xx

• Posted

Exercising is good as it stimulates the production of the endorphins which have been suppressed by the codeine .
    • Posted

Hi Jane.How would you say you can treat insomnia without drugs.I tried herbal tablets but they take about 5 to 6 weeks to start working and even then didn't seem to do much.I eat foods that are supposed  to help ie bananas and several types of nuts.I can't have any drinks( not alchoholic) as I would be going to the loo all the time.Cheers,Tony.

• Posted

Aww well done you I would be so proud of myself if in your shoes.

It is hard with the kiddies when I did ct before I took them again cos I didn't like how I was I hated them seeing me ill but now I think what's a couple of week to them me having a flu or whatever it's better than years of me abusing the pills or even worse not being here.

That is scary and that's what upsets me.

I have just stopped smoking 20 years of smoking up to 20 a day and I've not touched 1 In 9 days so surely I can beat this 3 year addiction x

Hope your well as everyone else

• Posted

I read that cbt has helped a lot of people with insomnia. Sleep hyjiene is adviseable. There are lots of links to this online.

​There are lots of tips about having a nice clan, tidy bedroom, clean bedding, etc, etc. The list of tips is almost endless. None involve taking any drugs or supplements. Hot milk calms the nerves too inducing sleep in some people.

Going to bed at the same time, having a shower or bath at bedtime helps etc, etc.

• Posted

You  can and will beat it.

​Just keep going. Each day eithout codeine is a day closer to recovery and a new life.

• Posted

Have written t you. CBT is one effective method. Take care xxx
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

?            Thanks for your advice.Think I might have tried something like CBT a couple of times in the past.Both times because the Health Service can work really slowly by the time I actually had the appointments I felt a bit better so went along anyway but told them thanks but really it's not too bad now and was consequently discharged.I can't believe that I am having problems sleeping.It is not down to lack of exercise as I have a full time job which can be very physical and also try to swim every weekday.I guess just as it takes awhile to get in your system it also can take time for your body to recover from the medication.Unfortunately patience is not one of my strong points.All the best xxx. Tony.

• Posted

Have you tried mindfuness, meditation, yoga . These are all accessible online as well as relaxation videos and music to relax ith . Best
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

?            Haven't tried any of those with the exception of always listening to a lot of music.I work a permanent late shift which entails working from 2.00 pm to 22.00 pm and am probably thinking this doesn't help as I don't really unwind before I go to bed.I will definitely have a look at your suggestions to see if it can help me.I am fairly resiliant but lack of sleep is hard to deal with on a daily basis. Tony.

• Posted

Hi lb,

​      Well done for giving up smoking.I quit 27 years ago when my daughter was born.It is really hard but as with the co-codamol it is an awful lot about sheer willpower and the realization that if you stop you will eventually feel a whole lot better.For me exercise is the key and although I am (just) over 60 I try to keep myself fit and eat healthily.I quit the co-codamol and it is like a fog is lifting from my life and I did not realize how much it affected my personaity by supressing it.You have a life with your children and you owe it to them to be as healthy and full of life for their benefit. Please let me know how you are faring .All the best.Tony.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.