Codeine cold turkey help

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi all I've been taking codeine based products for 3 years now starting 8 a day now upto 15 a day maybe more.

No one knows about my addiction.

I did go to the doctors a year ago who put me on a taper plan it worked to start then I went back to square one so now it's time to cold turkey.

I have constipation, tummy ache, and mood swings all the time also have gained weight.

I really need people's help with this any advice from people who have done cold turkey.

I don't want to do suboxone or other things on just want to get back to the fun mum I was before I started taking these horrible things.

I started taking them for back pain which as gone I'm pain free it's just an addiction.

Thanks guys

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi firstly I would like to say congratulations and well done for admitting you have an addiction, your on the path to getting this horrid addiction out of your life for good. I have been codiene free for about 3 weeks now and I can say I feel amazing!! The first week was hell I have to admit but I did it I got through it and let me tell you every day gets better and better and now I have my life back.

My life on codiene was a blur I'd wake up thinking about codiene and go to sleep thinking about it when I could have my next fix and get the buzz it was controlling my whole life wondering about how I was going to obtain more from friends and family and traveling from chemist to chemist.. as a mother of an 8 year old I was being so unfair to him as all my money was going on this addiction and I never had any energy to take him anywhere and do normal activities.. in the end enough was enough I did try the tapering down method once or twice but found it never worked for me so one day I woke up flushed all my tablets down the toilet and I haven't looked back since it's the best thing I've ever done I kept saying to myself this is for my son this is for my son if I can't do this simple thing even tho it's going to be hard for him what has my life come to x

3 weeks clean my skin is healthier and brighter I am awake at 7-' bright as a button ready to face the day I now get excited about things. Little things that haven't excited me in a long time I'm finally getting back to me I do have days where I do think about the buzz and feel a little void there but my life family and child are way more important

I hope you get through this as I know you can ITS SO WORTH IT

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Hi hun thanku so much for your reply and we'll done you 3 weeks is something to be proud of.

Everything you have said is like looking at my life part from me having 3 boys 11.8 and 1 year old it's got to the point I am a becoming a miserable cow a moody cow.

I so want off these the wirhdrawels do scare me alot but people get through it but I need to pluck up the courage do it. I know I'm weak but they say childbirth is the closest experience to death so this should be a doddle lol.

Can I ask if u had any help from anything anybody and and can you explain what each day was like it would be nice to get a timeline on this. How long was you taking codeine hun and why was you on it.

Thanku so much and sorry for the questions xx

• Posted

I was put on the dressed stuff about 4 years ago I had a terrible bad back and cyatica at first I was only taking maybe 4 a day just to ease the pain as I wasn't a big fan of taking tablets and hardly touched paracetamol then I discovered the BUZZ and loved it it made me feel alive at first I had so much energy I was happy all chatty life was good then it changed after a year or so the pain settled but I was still finding myself taking these every 3/4 hours andnup to 4 30/500 cocadamol.. when my prescription would finish I would go bl to the doctor and lie and get a new prescription or as friends or family for them and when I didn't have enough I would top up with nurofen plus and over the counter meds it was controlling my whole entire life. After a while the buzz started to go and it was harder to get that buzz but I still found myself taking them it was me the codiene hadbtaking over my personality I was no longer the funny Kay I was depressed no energy jay that wanted to stay in and slob not talk to anyone and become lazy I would snap at my son and family for no reason something had to change drastically. The first time I tried to withdraw I lasted maybe 4 days got over the worse but to be honest I think the worst is not pain or restless legs or runsbut the mental journey the routine that void inside u telling u need it but after about 9 days every day I started to forget see snippets of the old me come back. Day 1-5 were horrible headache restless legs the runs no sleep but I stocked up on magnesium and vitamin b12 from chemist for legs took immodium for the runs for some pro plus and energy drinks and paracetamol for head ache and now I'm pain free.

I didn't talk to anyone know one at all Knew my dirty little secret and that was hard having to lie I had the flu or an upset stomach so I would suggest if u find it hard maybe talk to someone or a doctor for support but u can do this you have had a baby u made a choice and put you body through all that pain for your children so u can do the withdrawal for them...: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH take control and get your life back xx

• Posted

Day 1- flushed the tablets felt fine all day but in th back of my mind that's all I could think about it came to around 8pm and I was having hot flushes and a mini head ache but nothing to serious so went to sleep.

Day2- woke up feel kinda ok a bit on edge and sweaty but nothing compared to what I thought it would be like it came to the afternoon and I was so on edge I needed to go home and shut myself away that's when the stomach cramps started and the restless legs. At this point I was regretting flushing the tablets but knew I had to do this so just chilled out for the rest of the day watched some films

Day 3 - this was my worst day hardly slept in the night woke up every couple hours was wide awake the restless legs were the worst had to lay a hot water bottle on them and still had the runs x woke up feeling like crap so decided to take my son to school then come home get back in bed I managed to get a couple hours but the anxiety and on edge was horrendous felt like I was nothing with out the codiene but pottered on

Day 4- same as day 3 I managed to drag myself to the chemist and get some vitamins etc which do help came home and laid in the bath for about 2 hours got out attempted to do my housework but physically couldn't do got back into bed woke up got back in the bath. Sleeping at this point is draining with the legs but bareable

Day 5- feels little better then day 4 but still groggy and sweating a lot at this point the pain was in my mind I missed the buzz so much the routine but I had way more important things to think about so today I deceived to get myself out and go shopping it was hard but I did it (luckily without sh*tting myself haha) evenings where my worst when boredom and alone time kicks in at this point I started to feel a bit depressed

Day 6- like day 5but symptoms where fading a lot just restless legs and a mini headache

Day 7- feel like me again starting to get excited over little things I got up put some make up on and met a friend inside I felt ok but my mind was on edge still

Day 8-14. Feel me again but on edge all the time

Day 14- now IM Me still have days where I'm on edge and jittery but I hardly think about it

It all depends on what u have been taking and for how long but def eat lots and drink lots of fluid and get some vitamins

• Posted

Hi Kay , just read your thread on here as I wake up to day 3 and can certainly relate to your words , Judy thrown away 100 tablets of codeine phosphate . Been taking 8 a day for 3 yrs and it was beginning to take over my life .

I'm off work with stress and felt this was part of it and figured it's now or never . So the flu symptoms are raging and I look bloody awful ! My daughter is nearly 15 and thinks I have flu , I have to be me again . Your words have helped . I've told no one as I feel

I can't x x

• Posted

Hi,

im on my fifth cold turkey day. Awful side affects, Can't eat, sleep, think, stand any noise, even silence is to loud. The light is to bright my head is about to burst, body aches all over. Five days of absolute hell. I'm not going back on them ever. I would rather have body pain than all that I'm feeling now. X

• Posted

Hi your doing so well!! I've been clean now since 20th February and I feel amazing all the symptoms and anxiety will fade after about 2 weeks and you will feel like the old you!! Well done

• Posted

Hiya and wow 5 days way to go girl you should be so proud of yourself right now.

Keep it up!

I so wish I had the guts to just ct but I am ready for it I just have a family wkend wedding to get through next week and I'm in it 1st of April will be my quit day so I have 5 days before kids breakup from school. Fingers crossed for me but so well done to u xx

• Posted

Hi guys just wanted to say thanku for all your response and big good luck to those who are going through ct and massive congratulations to them that are at the other end.

Just wondered if there was any people that wanted to ct but was scared of doing it alone who maybe wanted to watsapp me and each other helping each other through the painfull days.

If so just reply and we can exchange contacts.

Thanks lb1079

• Posted

I've just started the coldvturkey and I'm worried after reading all this ! Can I do it ? Well

Done you for doing it x

• Posted

You can do it. Please keep going you are doing really well.

Take care

Jane xxx

• Posted

Hi, I could really do with that I know your thread was last year but I could do with some help
  • Posted

Hi.

I have used Codeine for the last 2 years initially to kick a cannibas habit which they did work now I'm kicking the codeine habit 2nd day now not feeling to bad but only took 4 tablets a day 6 maximum 500/30 co codamol

• Posted

Hi Jamie, 

I just saw your question, and I am in this exact predicament, I take up to 40 a day, no one know except my doctor who is trying to help me get off codine,  I am meant to be cutting back but I find I can’t deal with the headache withdrawals. I know this will kill me, but I want to get help. Do you have any advice?

I have been taking codine for about 5 years, it started with a massive knee injury. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.