Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all, I’ve been addicted to codeine for 8 years, sometimes taking up to 30 30/500’s. I’ve come out of it several times, sometimes for months but seem to slip back when life gets hard. I’ve completed several ultra marathons, Ironman races and other challenges along the way but wonder how I’d feel if I wasn’t on the pills!

I’ve just come off them again, 3 days ago, and feel worse than ever! Head pains, abdo cramping and awful rushing to the loo. Never spoken to anyone on this so good to be able to unload it. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Rich, the fact that you are trying to stop is the start that you recognise your problem. I always say to taper down as much as you can for as long as you can. That way your body and head will slowly adjust to the diminishing dosage without causing too painful WD problems. It’s going to be tough but you can do it. You will eventually get adjusted to dealing with life without the barrier that codeine provides. It’s your choice and I’m sure you know which way is better. Good luck mate and best wishes on your recovery JH
    • Posted

Thanks mate, day 4 today, been here before but not suffered anything like this before. Guys are killing me, body wrecked. I’ve always managed to train through both taking and withdrawal but this has knocked me sideways. Hopefully it’ll stop me wanting to go back knowing how I feel. Thanks for the reply, means a hell of a lot
    • Posted

Hi rich, how are you doing today? Like you, I’ve done cold turkey a couple of times but have always failed. The exhaustion just kills me. I’ve been to see my gp today and I start a tapering plan tomorrow. Have you considered tapering? You mentioned that you’ve never told anyone about your addiction, is there no one at all that you could confide in? Codeine addiction is so common now but still such a taboo subject. I understand why you wouldn’t want anyone to know though. There’s a real stigma attached to addiction but please remember, this is an illness. No one sets out to be an addict, it’s a process that happens over time and there’s nothing to be ashamed of. I hope you’re doing ok today x 
    • Posted

Thanks ReeRee, that’s a really supportive message. I’m doing ok thanks, had awful stomach pains and runs but that’s cleared up, the aches, sweats etc have also stopped. I’ve exercised hard too which helps and takes my mind of it. Hope you do well with your tapering, keep me informed 
  • Posted

Hi I was just wondering does anyone else get sick from nurofen plus every so often there’s a few days I’ll be sick after every single time I take them but then after a few days it stops and I’m not sick again for a while. I know it is really damaging my stomach I’m just finding it so hard to stop tapering off wasn’t for me I just don’t have enough will power to not take the whole box x

• Posted

Hi marine I too am trying to break this addiction to coidiene and I've bought this oil and I'm just wondering how often you are taking the cbd oil. I've been taken two drops every evening for about a week now but finding no help I'm back to day one again as I keep giving in to this addiction. Should I be taking more oil. I want to break this habit badly it has such a hold on me x x

• Posted

Hi all,

I can not recommend CBD oil enough. Mine cost £40 and will last a month. Last week I was taking 20 x 30mg codeine tablets each day (bad I know!) but since I started taking the oil one Sunday, I have only had one day which I took 4 x co-codemol 12mg each 

The man in the shop said it helps people with addiction and I can defiantly agree!

I’ve tried in the past and failed because of withdrawal symptoms but I feel fine. A little sucky but I’ll take that over all the other symptoms! I’m at work like normal and carry on day to day as normal. If your open minded it’s dedinatly work it! 

• Posted

Well done Elizabeth! Been there taking that amount!! 

I’ve tried cbd but at the time I was already off them so didn’t notice anything really but what works for one doesn’t always work for another. I’ve fallen off the wagon so many times but I’m hopeful I can keep it going! I’ve recently started seeing a hypnotist which has really helped!! I even recorded the last session so I can use it at home too and just helps me get in to my happy place without the happy (or none happy) pills! 

Keep up the good work!! Doing amazing x

• Posted

Hi everyone, how is everyone doing? I’m not in a good place at all today. I’ve been coming off and relapsing on codeine addiction for a few years now. Last time I came off it CT with the help of my boyfriend who has been amazing. Unfortunately I relapsed but didn’t have the guts to tell him but he has now found out, but he’s at work and today is my day off, I want nothing more than to talk to him face to face but he won’t be home till late. I feel like such a fraud and so absolutely disgusted in myself for letting this happen. I have lied to him for months, I hated lying to him but I just didn’t know how I could tell him the truth, my shame stopped me. I’m such a mess today and the next 10 hours or so till he’s home is going to be torture. How could I have been so stupid and weak to risk everything I hold dear. I hope to god he doesn’t decide it’s too much for him to cope with and leave me.... then I’ll truly have nothing and there would be no point getting up  In the morning. I feel like just taking myself off somewhere........ today is not a good day, I feel absolutely helpless. I’ve lied to and betrayed the love of my life
    • Posted

Hey Reeree, I’ve been there many times, relapsing and the guilt from that, I work in health and well being, people look to me as being a figure of health and someone to look too, I have felt such a hypocrite for so long but you can’t let the addiction define you, it’s a part of you, always will be whether you’re off them or not, but don’t let it define the steps in your life forwards! Use this moment to give you the strength. Use whatever you can to get off them. I have regular hypnosis which is the only thing that has ever helped me.  I do a lot of exercise and try to meditate too but not always easy. 

This thread is a great source of support. Reach out and talk. Take care, keep your head up and don’t beat yourself up. You will get through this x

• Posted

Hi Rich, thank you for your kind words. He is upset/hurt/angry that I didn’t talk to him and keeps asking why, but how can I tell him why when I don’t even know why? He’s never been addicted to anything so obviously he just doesn’t understand, though he is very supportive and does try.  I don’t know why I didn’t talk to him about it when I first relapsed, I just can’t answer that question. I’ve just got back from the doctor and my blood results show that I’m aneamic, most likely from stomach problems caused by the nurofen. Thankfully no liver/kidney problems though. As I’m on a reduction plan and have cut out the nurofen the anemia should clear up. I’m so very lucky that I’ve not caused myself any long term health problems and I absolutely am determined to get off this crap once and for all! Codiene is the devil and the sooner it’s taken off the shelves the better! I feel absolutely exhausted, it’s now 5pm and I haven’t eaten a thing, my eyes are sore from crying and I’ve never felt so low in all my life. I wish in a way that I’d just drop down dead this minute so I didn’t have to feel all this. Well done rich on your progress. Do you think there’s a reason behind your relapsed? 

• Posted

You didn’t say anything because irrespective of the support he shows, he will never understand that want for the bloody thing. You do it once and then again and before you know it your suffering shame and guilt so can’t say anything. 

Line in the sand time, journal your daily feelings and plan your future with goals to hit along the way. I try all these things and they do help but it’s not easy.

My relapses are due to family circumstances but I need to not use those as an excuse any more to justify my usage, same as when my back goes, oh I’m in pain I’ll take 10 bloody pills, don’t need it! 

Today is a new day to reinvent yourself ReeRee

• Posted

Hi rich, you are so right! Yesterday was an awful day, I really wanted nothing more than to curl up and sleep and never wake up! Guilt and shame are such horrendous emotions. However we have sorted things out now and he is standing by me - again! I am the same as you in that almost everything can be an excuse to use. Oh I’ve just had an awkward customer on the phone, I’ll take some pills. Oh my colleague is being a pain, I’ll take some pills. I’ve got a headache, I’ll take some pills. That is a habit that is acquired over many years which is why it’s so difficult to break! Your messages have meant a lot to me rich, it’s so good to see that others understand, though I’m sad for other people who are going through this awful thing as well. How are you feeling today?
    • Posted

Happy that you sound more positive. I’ve signed up to do an Ironman race next year which is keeping me focused for now!! Fingers crossed. Head up and stay in touch x
    • Posted

Hi rich, how are you doing? I’m doing good, not really feeling much difference just yet with the reduction but I know it’s just around the corner, I’ll most likely start feeling it with my next reduction which comes tomorrow. I simply HAVE to do it once and for all this time though, I don’t think the doctor would allow me to do this again - this is my 4th (and hopefully final) attempt at tapering. I just don’t know what other options I would have, I know I can’t do CT. I’m so very lucky that my partner is so supportive. It must be difficult to be in a relationship with an addict. He doesn’t judge me, even though he’s never himself been addicted to anything so has no way of truly understanding what it’s like. But he does know it’s not as simple as “just stop taking them”. If  only it was! Are you in a relationship? If so, do you think your partner suspects anything? Is there anyone at all you can talk to about it? It’s so important to have support from someone close to you. I don’t think I’d even be attempting this (not seriously anyway) without my partners support, I just don’t have the willpower that’s needed when I’m on my own, and I have no doubt that this dreadful disease would kill me. I can’t remember if I mentioned that I had a blood test which showed me to be aneamic, and that along with the terrible stomach pains I was having indicates a bleeding ulcer in my stomach. Thankfully the pain has totally gone since I stopped taking the Nurofen Plus tablets so it looks like it’s healed now, or at the very least is healing. They will retest me in 3 weeks to see if my iron levels have improved, if they have that will indicate that the ulcer has healed or is healing nicely. The things we knowingly do to ourselves in search of that next fix. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone battling this awful illness. Hopefully in a few months I will be over the hurdle and then It will all just be a bad memory xx 

• Posted

Hey Reeree, glad to hear you’re doing well! Keep it up!

I’m in a relationship and we have a 10 year old girl but don’t think she suspects anything! I have spoke to a friend now but I am back on them again! Got some today as my back has gone, the doc doesn’t know and even though I did say i didn’t want cocodamol, he insisted with the issues I’m having, think the disc has slipped again so there’s the justification! Had nothing for a month and now back to square one! Always say this is the last!! Grrr

• Posted

Hi Rich, I’m sorry to hear that, you were doing so well then to have your back go like that must be so frustrating! Isn’t there something none addictive that the doctor can give you? It might be an idea to tell the doctor what is happening then they don’t give you codinec again. I know what you’re thinking - you don’t want that to happen JUST IN CASE..... but that’s one of the mindsets that us addicts need to get out of. If you’re completely honest with yourself, part of you wanted the codiene, and not only for the pain relief, am I right? Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not judging. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was very reluctant to tell the doctor for the very same reasons but if I’m to have a hope of beating this then I need to block as many avenues as possible that can take me to codiene. So now there’s no way I would ever get them from my doctor. My partner knows all about it so I could never get any from OTC again because he knows the signs. My parents also know about my precious relapses. I’m very pleased that you’ve spoken to your friend, what did he/she say about it? I hope they were sympathetic and supportive. What about your partner? Do you think you could talk to her about it? 

Just out of interest, how many tablets did the doctor prescribe to you? I find that naproxen is very effective for pain relief, it doesn’t give you a high and Is non addictive. 

Take care, hope to hear back from you 

• Posted

That’s meant to say my parents know about my previous relapses, not precious! Bloody auto-correct...... 
    • Posted

Hey ReeRee, thanks for your reply. I told my doc once I didn’t want codeine anymore as I thought I was taking too much and then a few months later he started prescribing it to me again and I I didn’t say no!! Now I just send an email and it gets sent straight to the pharmacist, easy!! My friend was most supportive but he lives in London, which is other side of the country to me so I can call but not quite the same. 

Never felt I could tell my partner . It’s that all shame thing. Back is feeling better so am going to kick it!!

I feel such a hypocrite as I work in health and well being industry and people look to me as a picture of health. It’s hard.

Thanks ReeRee.

How’s things going your end?? How’s the taper , tapering?? X

• Posted

Hi Rich, please don’t feel like a hypocrite, no one knows your personal demons therefore no one can judge. I’m struggling a little today, there are ‘women’s problems’ and I’m in absolute agony, the pain comes in waves so I guess I have a little idea of what It must be like to be in labour! Anyway enough about that. 

Doctors need to take some responsibility for this mess, you made it clear to your doctor that you didn’t want any codiene but still he prescribed it. And of course you didn’t say no again, you’re an addict, you can’t help it. Now might be a time to really come clean with them though. How would you feel about that? 

It’s a shame about your friend living so far away, where about in the UK are you from? I live in East Lancashire. My doctors surgery has been great, my current doctor seems to have taken a shine to me though, she called me lovely last week and yesterday she said she really likes my appointments and will be sad when I don’t need to see her anymore. Teachers’ pet or something ha. 

Anyway, hopefully that put a little smile on your face. If it didn’t, this will:

Why did the banana go to the doctor? 

It wasnt peeling well.

Hahahaha. You’re welcome. 

Take care, look forward to hearing from you, ReeRee x 

• Posted

That did make me smile, thanks! I’m from East Yorkshire. Keep going, you’re doing great! I won’t tell my partner but think I’ll soeak to my sis about it. Stag weekend this weekend so won’t take Amy with me and I’ll kick on from there. Need to get back to the things I know help! Cheers
    • Posted

That sounds like a good plan, you seem much more positive now, that’s good to see. Definitely speak to your sister, the more people that know about it and can support you the better. May I ask, is there any particular reason that you feel you can’t talk to your partner? Although I knew mine wouldn’t judge me and would only try to help, I didn’t feel I could tell him because my own shame held me back. However I’m so glad he knows now. I need his support, there’s no way I can do this on my own. My partner keeps me going and keeps me focused. 

Hopefully once you’re at the stag do and you’re not taking any with you, you shouldn’t feel the WDs too much because you won’t have been back on them for that long. Myself, I couldn’t think of anything worse - I certainly wouldn’t have the strength to pretend there’s nothing going on with so many people around me, putting a brave face on is absolutely exhausting. Well it is for me anyway. 

This forum has gone a little quiet just recently (apart from us), I hope everyone else is doing ok. 

• Posted

Hey ReeRee how are you doing today?? I’ve still been taking the ones I have but, whilst at the docs with my little girl (she has a bad leg) I told the doc I didn’t want cocodamol ever again and if he could put that on the records as I’m a little irresponsible with them!! Positive step I think!

Hope you’re doing ok?? It’s v quiet on here lately x

• Posted

Hi Rich, ah that’s great news, I’m so proud of you! You’ve taken a big step there towards long term recovery and you should be proud of yourself! That’s most definitely a positive step! Cutting off one route of supply really is a big and difficult step but you know it’s the right one. I’m so pleased for you! What did the doctor say in reply to that? 

I’m doing great thank you, I don’t know if I mentioned that I’m off work this week and I’ve been keeping myself busy, my friend is on her way over to my place now and we’re going to have a few drinks in the sunshine. We don’t get too see each other all that much and we’re both on holiday so we though, why not? It might only be 1pm but it’s evening somewhere, right? Also my stepmum had an operation yesterday so tomorrow and Friday I will be busy looking after her. I think  one of the keys things to help you through is to keep busy - if the WDs aren’t too bad of course. Keeping your mind distracted really helps to curb cravings. 

I’m sorry to hear about your little girl, I hope she’s ok now? 

Yes it is very quiet on here but I hope that someone is reading our posts and maybe feel like it’s helping a little. 

Well done Rich, don’t underestimate the step you’ve taken with the doctor,  I’m so very proud of you (even though we don’t know each other, I know exactly how hard it can be) and I have a good feeling that you’ll be able too conquer this once and for all smile 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the support ReeRee, it really does mean a lot. I’m hoping that this weekend I’ll have got rid of my back pain, got rid of my pills, had a good weekend and move forward with no chance of getting anymore!!

Keep in touch and let me know how you’re doing, it really does help having someone to speak with x

• Posted

Good morning Rich, sorry for the late reply, I’ve only just seen the email notification. I’m still doing well and keeping positive, I’m actually starting to look forward to a life free of addiction. How wonderful will it be to wake up in the morning and not have to plan a cruise of the local chemists to get our fix? To be able to go away for a few days without worrying how we’re going to get what we need to last us? 

I’m so happy that you’re feeling positive and looking forward to a future free from this horrendous disease. I’ve been thinking about getting into drugs councilling or something similar. There just is not enough awareness about this and so little help available to addicts. All the help there is geared more towards heroin addiction and the likes. Even though prescription and OTC medication addiction has been about for years, it’s still very much taboo and people like us need help so much! 

So where is it that you’re going on your stag do? I hope you have a great time, keep me posted on how you’re doing. And remember, keep positive but If you do relapse it’s not the end of the world, it’s all part of your recovery. I read somewhere that on average it takes around 7 or 8 attempts to finally rid yourself of it. All in all I’m on about my 6th, maybe even 7th! The worst one for me was tramadol, I actually overdosed on that and had a full on seizure while at work which is how my parents came to know about it all. Coming off that really was hell on earth so you’d think I’d be able to crack codiene addiction! Anyway I digress. 

Do let me know how you’ve got on over the weekend, I hope you have a brilliant time! Take care Rich 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.