Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everybody just thought I’d share my experience.not slept properly for 3 nights and last night stumbled up on this forum. I started using Codeine about 12 months ago took it once and it felt very nice like a warm fuzzy feeling. Before I knew I was taking 360mg a day that as been for the last twelve months. So around about 8 days ago I went toilet and we all know what happens when we have Codeine and need the loo. It was un bearable so much so I was nearly in tears. So it was most definitely time to quit Codeine. I’m on day 5 now in work 5am start feeling a lot lot better than the previous 4 days. I have gone cold turkey and believe me when I say this it is the worse experience I’ve had in 30 years on this planet. Diarrhoea, horrible pains in my legs really bad sweats and the worst of all the insomnia Mabey 1-2 at most a night and I do love my sleep. All I can say to any one who as just started the withdrawal process is the same as people above it’s hard I mean really hard but to today day 5 I feel great. Diarrhoea still here and I think another sleepless night is on the cards. But that horrible leg pain as gone thank god as is my anxiety so fingers crossed. Well done for everyone going through this we can do it and beat this **** horrible little drug. 

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, welcome to this forum. This forum has been a great source of strength for many people, myself included. Thank you for sharing your story with us and well done firstly for recognising the situation that you’re in, and secondly for having the strength and determination to face your demons head on! Going cold turkey really is hell on earth, unless someone has been through it themselves there’s no really no way anyone can understand how it feels. It’s much more than just feeling Ill, they say it’s like a really bad flu but I feel it’s even worse than that! There are just no words that accurately describe the utter helplessness and pain that comes with quitting codiene. You have done so very well to get to this stage! I don’t know if you’ve seen Rich’s posts above but he has also done cold Turkey. I’ve done it myself a few times but I can never just seem to stick it to it so I’m now on a tapering plan (again). Just in case you’re not sure what that means, it’s where I keep taking codiene but each week I lower the dose so eventually my dose gets to zero. This means that in theory my WDs should be at a minimum, though I will still have some symptoms but they just won’t be as severe. 

Unfortunately the sleeplessness can stick around for a while as can the diarrhoea - but better to have diarrhoea than the horrendous constipation that comes with codiene use. Without going into too much detail, I’ve always got around that by not using codiene till I’ve been out of bed for a couple of hours, that way the codiene hasn’t been in my system round the clock meaning I could go in the morning. I don’t mean to be crude, but this might help someone who hasn’t managed to get off it yet and is having similar problems. 

How were you first introduced to codiene Jonathan? I first took it for genuine pain but like you mentioned, I loved the warm fuzzy feeling it gave me and I had no idea that I could become addicted to a drug that the doctor gave out. To me, ‘drugs’ were what people injectored on street corners, and these pills were ‘medicine’. How wrong I was. Still, it’s no good dwelling and regretting. All we can do is move forward. 

You’ve done incredibly well to get to day 5 Jonathan! Is this the first time you’ve attempted to kick the addiction? Have you spoken to anyone about it? Have you taken any supplements or anything to help you through? Sorry for all the questions, I just like to know details haha. 

I’m really pleased for you, I can’t stress enough what an achievement this is! 

Keep well Jonathan, I look forward to hearing back from you ☺️

• Posted

Hi lee this is my first time trying to quit  but I am hoping it will all so be the last as what I’ve been through so far I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I was introduced to Codeine as my partner as a certain condition that requires her to take Codeine to control her pain. I hurt my ankle playing football / soccer for my friends across the pond. My partner gave me some as a relief and soon I was going to my gp  my self faking injuries to get them. I work shifts so can start as early as 0400 and as late as 1700 so that warm buzz would get me through my shift and make me feel great. Sorry for the information but I have always been regular on the loo ie once a day roughly the same time. Whilst using I would find I’d go 4-5 days and it hurt but that feeling that buzz was outweighing the loo pain. But Saturday just gone was one of the worst bar this withdrawal I have ever felt I am a 30 male with what I would think as a moderate pain fresh hole. But I kid you not I was nearly in tears trying and when it came I thought I’m am never going to experience that embarrassment and pain again. No problem just stop taking Codeine right job done wow was I shocked what was to come. As for supplements no nothing I’m live in the U.K. and the weather as been really nice. I’ve been starting work at 0500 so up at 0400 bath before bed is a must for me as the leg pain is unbearable. Then a coffee round about 0510 once in work then about 2litres of water through my shift. As mentioned above food is hard to  acknowledge at the moment I am not a super healthy eater by any means. Bit while the devil as been in side me I have weetabix for breakfast for people who don’t have this in there country is and kind of wheat biscuit cereal thing. Then almonds and a banana for lunch and noodles or rice for tea/ evening meal again friends across the pond. I really don’t want to take more medication ie sleeping pills but I love my sleep. And just to mention I don’t know if it’s just me but today day 5 i fell fantastic no craving no leg pain but mabey that’s the devil inside ( the Codeine) tricking me and the symptoms will be back. This forum was a great help for me just reading other people’s stories and their journeys as be a great help. Remember we can do this we control the devil it does not control us 
    • Posted

And sorry got a bit carried away with my self as I’m having a really good day today compared to the last four. No not told any one well just my partner. She doesn’t understand just keeps saying it’s only Codeine get a grip. I don’t think she quite understands the severity of the situation. And the mention of nice weather it’s making me sweat more hence the water intake
    • Posted

Again sorry read the forum creator ReeRee mabey I’m not having a great day 🤷🏻???🤦🏻???

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, great to see a reply from you so soon 😊 and don’t worry, you’re going through a huge thing at the moment so you probably feel a little bit all over the place! It’s great that your partner knows what’s going on but her reaction disappoints me a little bit. Don’t get me wrong, if she hasn’t been through this herself then there’s absolutely no way she can truly understand what’s it like but I’d have thought that she’d have an idea after seeing you so poorly for 4 days. It’s so important that we have a good support network around us. My partner knows all about my situation and I’m honestly so lucky, he’s my absolute rock and I just could not get through this without him. He hasn’t ever been addicted to anything so, like your partner, he can’t truly understand it but he really does his best to see if from my view and help and support in anyway he can - even when he found out that I’d relapsed 2 months prior and had lied to him about It. He was more upset that I’d not felt the could talk to him about it, but that’s because of my  own issues, I’ve never really felt I could talk to people. I had a really bad childhood so it all stems from that. However that’s a different story all together! 

I’m from the UK also, I live in East Lancs, what about you? 

You mentioned that you’d keep going back to the doctors with fake injuries in order to get your fix - have you spoken to your doctor about your addiction? If not, it might be an idea to come clean with them (pun intended) so that you can’t get anymore. This is a HUGE step, I don’t know if you’ve seen the comments above but Rich has just done this with his doctor which is absolutely fantastic! It’s a big step because you’re completely cutting off a source of tablets but it’s also a very important part of your recovery. My doctor knows all about it because I went to them to ask for help so of course it all goes on my records which is fine by me. I just wish that they would stop selling them over the counter like they have in Australia. Mind you, I think that has driven a lot of people towards heroin. It seems that they’ll cut the supply of codiene but haven’t offered nearly enough help for addicts so they’ve gone for whatever they can get which happens to be heroin or crystal meth! 

Going back to your WDs, we are all different and no CT is the same for everyone. While you were using for 12 months, that’s not really a very long time compared to others. I have been battling addiction for about 6 years now and there are others on here that have been battling for 15 years or more! You’ve really done very well to put a stop to this at quite an early stage - I wish I had your self discipline! So you’re not on day 5 and your legs are feeling so fingers crossed for a good nights sleep tonight! 😁 you could try potassium tablets, it’s completely natural therefore not addictive, potassium is supposed to help with restless limbs, which can be one of the worst symptoms because it prevents you from sleeping. Sometimes you just feel that if only you could sleep properly you could put up with everything else! Have you been working while you’ve been going through this? 

Well I’ve just noticed that I’ve written quite an essay so I’ll wrap it up now before you get bored (If you haven’t already haha) 

Take care J, look forward to hearing back from you x 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply ReeRee I’m from Manchester. By the way your partner sounds like a great guy. I don’t blame or feel resentful towards my partner for not understanding all though it would be nice to be help through a bit. But we are both cut from the same cloth ( not very compassionate towards one another) all though we truly love each other different time different place. Yeah I’ve been working through it all it’s been hell but I think it may have speeded up my recovery. The doctor thing is all ready on the card appointment Monday. I honestly feel great today. But just gone up to bed and sweating repulsive all ready. And about the getting bored I honestly would not as this forum right now is helping me leaps and bounds. I just so very hope that is the last of it. Thanks for the advice 
    • Posted

Good Morning J, how are you feeling today? Did you manage to get any sleep? It’s strange, you can be ok-ish through the day then your body seems to know that it’s bed time and thinks “I know, I’m gonna turn the sweat glands on and get the restless legs going!” From previous experience I have found that those particular symptoms seem to linger which is one of the reasons for my relapses. I am told that it does go away eventually but as everyone is different there’s just no way to know how long it’ll be till they do go 😞 stick at it though, you’ve done absolutely amazing to get where you are now! 

Ahh, Manchester! I’m about 30 mins drive from there and actually used to see a lad from there (who was addicted to codiene), it’s not you is it? Haha, his name begin with N though so it can’t be you. Yes my partner is truly amazing, I’m so lucky to have him. We met on a night out, a mutual friend introduced us and we haven’t looked back since. As cheesy as it sounds we are the loves of each other’s lives! And believe me when I say I was never into soopiness like that before haha. It is a shame that your GF doesn’t really understand but also a good thing in a way because that means she’s never had to suffer in the way that we have and I would never wish this on anyone! 

I can’t believe you’ve managed to work through it! Are you the hulk or something? What do you do for work? 

Well done for booking the appointment with the doctor as well! You really are tackling this head on aren’t you! What do you plan to tell them? 

I’m really astounded by your strength J, what you’re going through is terrible, a truly horrendous ordeal but you’re just plowing through and refusing to be beaten! Also your positivity may inspire others going through the same thing and give them strength. I take my hat off to you! It sounds like you’re well over the worst of the symptoms now, it’s just a case of seeing off the last of them and getting more and more sleep each night till all this is just a bad memory. I can’t wait to look back at this time and thank god that I got through it. How wonderful that will be! 

Take care J, look forward to hearing back from you ??

• Posted

Hi ReeRee thanks for the support had the worst day ever in my life today and I mean ever. Not 1 min sleep last night decided I’d get out of bed as I was feeling sick. I made my self a coffee at around 0240 to sit and watch tv until 0420 then off to work well that was my plan. No I was hugging the toilette till around 0400 been aggressively sick. I thought I can do this and go in work it will be similar to a hang over. So off I went feeling awful the hole way about a 20min drive. On arrival I was straight to the loo being sick again also sounds gross but my poop is now just water no colour literally just like water. I couldn’t stay I had to go home I honestly felt like I was going to die. Got home back to bed no joy with sleep just felt really really ill. Again got out of bed sick a little again then at 0900 I went to my pharmacy. Embarrassed and nervous I explained the the pharmacist what was going on. She was really nice and to some degree understanding. She did seem a little confused as I’m now on day 6 and had never been sick with th CT before today. Any way I bought some Imodium and rehydration powder to mix with water also some mild but effective sleeping pills. As some as I was home I took all 3 and managed around 2 hours sleep so the sleeping pills and not effective on me. But I am now 1404 starting to feel half normal again no sickness and I think the Imodium is work as I have not needed the loo. As for the guy you mentioned no not me unfortunately and I work In the public sector.  Last night all I could think is just take 2 it will make you sleep. But I’d think of that Saturday on the loo and these horrible 6 days and I managed not to have any thank god. Like i said I’m feeling semi normal now so fingers crossed what I had last night / this morning as now past. Good luck everybody we can do this. I’ll do a day 7 blog tomorrow and let you now how I got on.
    • Posted

Hi Jonathan thank you for sharing your story I'm again on day two I can't seem to get past day four I keep going backwards instead of forward. Is the whole sicky feeling. The need to use the bathroom and yeah the lack of sleep like you I say just two will make all this go away. I will follow you and can't wait for your input tomorrow because I know tomorrow will be day seven for you that's amazing keep up the good work. I feel I need to hand my wages over to someone else cause while I have cash on me the temptation is bigger x good luck and we'll done on day six

• Posted

Hey everyone day 7 for me now and last night was wonderful ( 7 hours sleep). I felt pretty bad yesterday morning and then half normal throughout the day. Evening I started to feel a lot better and had a bacon sandwich.  So yesterday I went pharmacy got some Imodium rehydration powder mix and some sominex. And believe me if you can go and get these products do it as the have helped me massively. So last night I went bed quite early with my partner. We was watching the boxing and I’d just took a sominex the main event had just started next thing I knew the fight had finished. So I’d been a sleep about 1 hr but my arms and legs was aching a bit. Here we go again I thought no sleep I started to get really anxious. My partner as just started being really nice I think she as realised just what I’m going through. Any way she suggested to take a bath with radox (sort of like a stress/muscle relief). I most of been in there about 40 mins and when I got out the aches we’re gone. Climbed back in bed 0015 and woke ant about 7ish feeling might fine. Today I feel good I really do just do feel like doing much. I’ll check in either later on this evening if anything changes if not tomorrow. Remember we can do it 
    • Posted

I got a bit carried away forgot to say thanks Caroline. You are at day 2 well done. I now how hard it is like literally the hardest thing I have ever done. So don’t try beat your self up about not getting past day four you will I know you will. Everybody as different reason why they want to escape this monster. But in my darkest moments when I want to take some I think to that Saturday and how i felt that day and this whole withdrawal process. And there is no way I want to feel that way again. So keep up beat and stay strong.
    • Posted

Hi J, I’m sorry for the late reply. We had the children yesterday (my partner has 3 children with his ex, his 17 year old son lives with us and his 9 year old daughter and 10 year old son come and stay every other weekend) so it was a bit full on yesterday. 

I’m sorry to read that you had a terrible time, how strange that it hit you so hard on day 6 though! I wonder if you’ve had a 24 hour bug or a touch of food poisoning? Still, you didn’t let it beat you and that must have taken immense willpower so well done to you! I don’t think I could have resisted that. I should have mentioned before that long soaks in the bath help so much with the leg aches. When I was withdrawing from tramadol I must have taken 10 baths a day, that was the only way that I could get some relief and a little nap, other than that I didn’t sleep for 4 days straight! Also, to anyone going through this, and I should have mentioned this before but I completely forgot, the drug clonodine helps massively as well. It’s usually used to treat other illnesses and it’s not addictive but the last time I quit cold turkey I took 3 of them 4 times a day and it really helped me. The only thing is it lowers your blood pressure so you can feel a little dizzy if you stand up too quickly etc. The benefits certainly outweigh the negatives. J, you mentioned sominex, I’ve never heard of that, what is it please? Also I’m really glad that your partner is starting to understand what you’re going through. I’ve said before that support from those around you is paramount to ongoing recovery. I’m so impressed that you didn’t give In, you were going through the worst time of your life and you stayed strong! You’re an inspiration! Caroline, thank you for sharing your story as well. Don’t beat yourself up, they say that it takes on average 6 or 7 attempts to finally beat this thing, so just thing of it all as part of your recovery. Do you have anyone close to you that knows what you’re going through? If not, do you think there’s anyone you can talk to about it? Of course, we’re all here for you on this forum and we truly understand what you’re going through but say, if your partner (if you have one) is aware then that might help you to resist temptation. It certainly does for me. When I was living alone then I could go to the chemist whenever I wanted and no one had any idea but my partner knows all about it and that alone stops me from going, I don’t want to betray him. I’m also terrified of killing my self accidentally with an overdose or causing myself a serious illness, I couldn’t do that to him. I’ve already had a very close shave when I overdosed on tramadol, I had a full seizure at work, luckily I was sat at my desk with people around me. I could easily have been driving, or walking somewhere and banged my head. 

Remember we’re all here for each other to help each other through the hard times. Take care all, I look forward to reading your messages. 

Lots of love, ReeRee xx 

• Posted

Hey all, just got back from a stag weekend. I had fallen off the wagon a little last week as I had really damaged my already crappy back. Gp gave me pills but then told him i need the pills taken away from me and need another sort of relief if I’m serious pain. Smashed in 100 30/500s in four days but went away Friday and had none since, not even thought about them. Just shows if your mind is occupied then you don’t need them!  Keep going guys, we will have our failures but we are here for each other and can start again. Heads up and crack on guys 
  • Posted

Hey guys DAY 8 and what can I say I’m feeling good. Still feeling a bit crappy but not even remotely anything like the start. ReeRee sominex is a sleeping aid from over the counter. I have been taking them and going sleep but about 2-3 hours after taking so don’t know if it’s them working or my body is getting back into sync. Saturday was not a good day for me but thinking back I must of had a bug as yesterday I was fine. My legs are still aching a bit and oddly my arms at night but I am sleeping now 6-7 hours. My tummy is still a bit sensitive but diarrhoea as gone but I did take 2 Imodium tablets on sat. I’m now eating semi normal again (2 meals a day) so all in all I think things are starting to look up. I’m in work today 🤦🏻??? But I have a late start of 1500  so can chill out a bit. I hope everyone is ok and staying strong. These 7 days that I have completed have felt like years but it’s all been worth it. Remember stay strong

• Posted

Morning everybody DAY 9 and I’m feeling a world better. Don’t get me wrong I can still feel deep down that I’m not 100%. I know feel I can do things and crack on I was in work yesterday and it didn’t bother me actually enjoyed it. I’m eating normal loo is semi normal and life is feeling like I’m a better person (soppy I know). That’s it really nothing much else going on. Didn’t have any sleeping aid last night and had about 6 hours so that’s looking up aswell. Good luck everybody.
    • Posted

Well done Jonathon, keep going mate. Keep vigil cos the bugger can sneak up on you when you least expect it! Reeree, how’s things going with you? Hope you’re well? I’ve been off for 5 days now and feel fine, still knackered from camping in the rain and consuming way too much alcohol but back to training today. Keep posting guys, even if you slip, tomorrow is another day. 
    • Posted

Hi guys, sorry I’ve been a bit quiet recently, I’ve been a bit down. I know that coming off the dreadful drug is for the best but I’m nervous about being off it. I know that sounds ridiculous but for such a long time these little tablets have been like a godsend for me emotionally! It feels like I’m getting ready to say goodbye to the best friend that I’ve ever had. I just want to fast forward 6 months where this will all be a bad memory. It’s things like, how on earth will I get through a day of work clean? If I take a few of my little friends then I feel so motivated, i can work at 100 miles an hour, get so much done, the day goes so quickly and I actually enjoy being at work! I just know that it’s going to be so hard getting through the days and the weeks especially as I’ve only got 3 of annual leave left now (apart from Christmas). People always have so many great tips for how to get through the initial withdrawal but what about continued recovery? When I came off the tramadol about 2 and half years ago I got over the worse of the WDs in about a week, but then I had lingering runny noses, lack of sleep and compete and utter boredom. I lose all enthusiasm about anything and everything. At work I just couldn’t be bothered,  I found no joy in anything even though I had been put on anti depressants. This ongoing boredom and lack of happiness is what made me relapse. I need to make sure that doesn’t happen again but how? 

Last week  stupidly bought some tablets. I didn’t take any but for some reason, just knowing they were there helped me. Does anyone know what I mean by that? Anyway my boyfriend found them and I felt like such an a-hole! I tried to explain to him why I’d bought them but as he’s never been an addict he just can’t understand. I threw them away anyway (I can’t gelp feeling what I waste that was) and we’re good but I’m finding it hard to imagine a life without my crutch. And it will have to be forever, i simply cannot be trusted with pain killers. My boyfriend is amazing though, he doesn’t judge me and he tries to help me anyway he can. I’m so lucky to have him. 

Rich and J, how are you both doing? You’ve both come SO FAR and I’m so proud of you both! 

Caroline, and how are you my love? As said above, you mustn’t give yourseld a hard time. As we all know, this is the single hardest thing that any of us has done or will do in our lives and it takes great, huge strength to succeed and stay a success. Have you thought about tapering? The WDs are less intense however you will need some real self discipline because it’s so easy to go mad if you’ve got a weeks worth of tablets. I should know, this is my fourth (hopefully final!) attempt at tapering. I considered cold turkey but it’s too much for me. If you do want to stay with cold turkey then I would highly recommend the prescription drug clonodine. It eases the WDs but can make you a little light headed. 

I hope everyone is ok, hope to hear from you. 

Take care, ReeRee xx 

• Posted

Hi ReeRee, 

I completely get what your saying, it seems I’m replacing my need for codeine with alcohol! Not crazy but not good! Keep working at it reeree.

You will get there! X

• Posted

Hi ReeRee I understand completely what your saying. It’s the single most hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I can’t really suggest anything to make it better for you and this makes me sad. I am now 3 weeks free all symptoms are fully gone I’m sleeping not now as I’m on a night shift. But I do now sleep between 6-8 hours nightly. I can only give you what as kept me going and it’s thinking back that incident and the first 1-10 days of WD. I was only on them 12 months but taking 360mg daily. So mabey it as been a bit easier for me. My partner still is getting her repeat prescription of around 240 tabs monthly so they are around the house. But honestly I don’t feel for them no more life is a lot clearer. I do get bored a lot I must admit but I just tell my self it will pass and it gets a bit easier. My goal from the start watching the YouTube videos of people’s blogs was to reach day 30. That goal is now just 9 days away for me. ReeRee you can do this I believe in you. You know it’s hard but think of all the pros they out weigh the cons. Good look ReeRee stay positive I will keep an eye out on the forum. And rich well done mate I have been drinking a little more than usual my self but stay strong bud.
    • Posted

Hi Rich & J, thank you for your replies. You think that there isn’t anything you can say that will make it better for me, but just seeing how well you’re both doing really helps so much! I’m so proud of you both, you’ve honestly come so far! Rich, yes that’s one of the risks of giving up an addiction I think, sometimes we end up swapping one thing for another. When I went cold turkey last time, I went out for a few drinks with my partner, it was about day 5 and I found that the more I drank the better I felt. I had so much energy (that’ll be the double vodka and red bulls I was necking) so I will need to be careful that I don’t turn to alcohol knowing that it makes me feel better in the short term. Luckily I’m not much of a drinker anyway and I never, ever drink in the house so fingers crossed I won’t be tempted down that road. I’ve been watching a lot of you tube blogs as well and also reading horror stories about people whose stomachs have blown from taking too many nurofen plus over long periods of times. Nurofen plus was my drug of choice when I couldn’t get hold of the codiene 30mgs. A pack of N+ (32 tablets) costs around £7 and I was doing a packet and half a day so you can imagine how much money I’ve spent on it over the years! I could have had several nice holidays abroad! Also when I went to the doctor for help this last time I was getting awful stomach pains which indicated an ulcer. I had a blood test to check my kidneys etc and luckily they’re ok but it showed I’m aneamic which supported the suspicion of a stomach ulcer which was bleeding! And you know, if I didn’t have the support of my partner I most likely would have just carried On as I was, no doubt it would have killed me. J, you are so strong you know, I don’t think I’d be able to resist if there were so many pills handing around. You both really are an inspiration. If we all lived closer I’d have suggested meeting us for a coffee or something. I’ve never really met anyone  in person whose going through this. Apart from one guy I was seeing for a short while, he was addicted as was I at the tone but he didn’t know that I was as well. 

Rich, you mentioned to me before that you had spoken to your friend about this and were thinking of speaking to your sister, did you do that? Are you still getting support from your friend? And what about you J? Is your partner still helping you through? 

Thank you both so much for listening to me and sharing your stories. You’re both a tower of strength to me and I am eternally grateful xx 

• Posted

Hi ReeRee hope your doing ok. I’m approaching my goal now I’m almost there 3 days and I will be at day 30. At the start that felt like a life time away. As for my partner still understanding yes she does but she is dependent on them. All be it she is on them for the right reason. But I think it scares her to death the thought of coming of them when she as to. As what she seen me go through especially the first 10 days. But I now have first hand experience and hopefully help her every step of the way when the time comes. I was reading your post and the ibuprofen is really bad for your stomach. My mum used to eat them things for fun (not with Codeine) and had all sorts of problems with her tummy. It’s a hard process divorcing this demond but I do hope you can do it. I watch a video on you tube called the science of Codeine withdrawal. It’s really good it breaks down the whole process of what your body is going through whilst WD. And if you are ever in Manchester I work in the city centre give me a message through hear. I will always have a chat and a coffee with a fellow Conrad. Anyway it’s turning it to a bit of a essay now so ReeRee I wish you all the best you can do this stay strong.  
    • Posted

Hi Everyone, how is everyone doing? I can’t believe the progress you’ve all made, you’ve done so incredibly well! Tapering didn’t work so well for me, I just don’t have the self discipline needed to not gobble up a whole pack of codiene tablets so I’ve decided to make the jump. Today so day one, go me! I’m feeling it already, tummy problems, runny nose, goosebumps etc but I still have a lot of clonodine left over from last time so I’ve just taken 3 of those (last time my doc said I had to take 3 tables four times a day) and to be fair they do help, the only problem is they don’t help with the lack of energy, if anything they do make it a bit worse but I’ll take that over suffering all the WDs. As mentioned before, my boyfriend found out I had relapsed and while he has been supportive, I still lied to him for months so I absolutely cannot relapse again. We have a strong relationship but of course everyone has a breaking point don’t they. It’s weird because even know I’m feeling a bit crappy, I went outside earlier and I could smell the fresh air, I could feel the crispness of the morning. This is something I have not experienced for a long time. I’m also feeling very emotional but this time it just feels different. I’m trying to keep the mental and physical side of WDs separate from each other. Whereas previously whenever I’ve tried to give up all I’ve ever though about it how much better I’d feel with just a little bit of codiene, how much I missed my old friend, but this time I’m determined to try to live my life as normally as I can and NOT think about how much I want codiene, because I really don’t. I’ve finally seen codiene for the traitor she really is. She lures you in with the promise of good times and boy, does she deliver. For a while anyway, till the demon drug takes over our lives, our health, our finances and relationships. I’m extremely lucky that I’ve not caused myself serious health issues, especially after the seizure at the height of my tramadol Addiction and my shredded tummy after years of nurofen plus abuse. Whereas before I was worried about a life without codiene, I can’t wait to embrace it. I so can’t wait till I can say I’m at day 30, day 70, 2 years. How wonderful that will be. J, I would love to meet up for a coffee sometime. I have never actually spoken openly to a fellow addict face to face. I’ve considered NA meetings but they are geared more towards street drug addictions. Does your partner know when she will need to stop the codiene? I have no doubt that you will help her through. Is she sticking to the recommended daily dose? She might not have issues as much as you did. 

Peace and love to all, I hope everyone is ok xxx 

• Posted

Hi ReeRee thank you for sharing your story. Like you I came clean to my partner and adult children that I had a problem and I started the detox and the pain hot cold sweats the tears the not been able to sleep and don't mention the stomach. I made it to give weeks the went and both the agaín I continued to do this until like that I was caught to see my adult child crying her eyes out and the look of disgust on my son and partners face should have been enough to keep me off them but I went back ó them hiding all traces of them hoping I won't get caught. I'm about to take three day holiday with my partner and daughter and I know I won't get them in my case for fear of them finding them so I'm saying this is my chance to kick the habbit I remember the last time it was at least day four before the pains really started so I'll just make it home so then it will be the test to see if I buy some but I am hoping and praying I stay off these horrible fecking things. Its got to the stage they are 10.50 cent a day and when I can pick up two. All the chemist's know me and some have refused me anymore tablets unless I get letter from gp. When I first came clean I went straight to the doctor she prescribed very light sleeping tablets and I attend na in which i can honestly say I haven't attended one and maybe I need too as this is way to big for me to deal with on my own. I never ever want to see my adult children cry and say they gear they will find me on the ground dead you say you would like to meet up wherebyou staying don't mind me asking i live in dublin. Hopefully we will both be saying day seven together and then day 100. I've lost a member of my family to drugs I can not put my family through this again.. I never have any energy I go to work then home and that's me. I can drive and I say I should go for a drive leave the money at home as that is half the battle. I wish you the very best of luck. We can do this. X x x

• Posted

Hi Caroline thank you for your reply. I know exactly how you are feeling. Recently, before my partner realised I was back on them, we had to stay at him mums house for 2 weeks while she was away and I thought how the hell am I going to manage to keep this under wraps but about twice a week I would find an excuse to go out alone and cruise and chemists, I’d empty the tablets into a little food bag so there were no bulky packets lying around. I’m surprised you didn’t feel the worse affects tills day 4, I’m only on day 2 and I feel horrendous. I barely slept a wink last night but I’ve been and got some otc sleep aids, some antihistamines which have the same ingredients as Benadryl as that has been recommended plus I have colonidine which really does help. If you can get some then I would highly recommend it. I’ve just managed to have a little snooze which I feel better for. I’m going to try to have something to eat then get into bed with a hot water bottle and a book, hopefully I’ll fall asleep and stay asleep. I just want to fast forward 3 weeks now when the worse of this will be over, hopefully my restless legs and sleeping problems will have all but disappeared. When are you planning to stop using Caroline? IF I was you I would try to get it done before going away so you can enjoy your holiday xx 
    • Posted

Hi reeree thank you for your reply I'm heading away first thing Tuesday I'll be back Friday morning and I'm hoping and praying this will kick start my detox. It was day four last time so I'm expecting the same this time. I'm off work for the week. I was open and honest last October when I told all my family they too gave as much support as they could and told me to stay at home until I was better so I've been buying them first thing have the pack of 24 gone by lunch time. It's when I get a second packet into me that makes me sick and my children remembered how sick I was the last time so as soon so taking only one packet stops the sickness and just makes me feel good. I'm afraid of the job coping on as you can imagine we have too much to loose of we keep up this lifestyle. Not only the financial cost I feel I'm like a zombie walking around and only doing what I need to do and nothing nice brown in there. I just don't think I'm strong enough I do know in order for this to work I can't have access to cash. I gave my eldest the bank card the last time and she basically took over the house for those three weeks back in October I need to do this again and not rush in taking it back. X x wish you all the best thank you for listening to me. I hope you sleep better soon and I welcome any suggestions you have that gets you through this x

• Posted

Good luck reeree and Caroline, I’m back on the little b******s, thoroughly peeved with myself but can’t get access to any strong ones any more as I told the gp not to allow me too! Tomorrow is a new day to reinvent oneself and I’m going to do it again!! Grrr.

All the best guys x

• Posted

Hi Caroline and Rich, rich I’m sorry to hear you’re back on them. You did so well but this just proves how difficult it is to stay away. You say you haven’t got access to strong ones, which ones are you using? Are you going to quit them tomorrow? I’m hoping to be able to work tomorrow, I’m about to have my tea then I’m going to have some otc sleeping tablets and pray that I get some sleep! I would highly recommend clonodine if anyone can get that from their gp. Even though I’m feeling crappy, I know I would feel so much worse without them. I’m taking multi vitamins and also potassium tablets which are supposed to help with rls. We’ll just have to wait and see. Tomorrow will be day 3, according to everything I’ve read I should be at a turning point then, but that doesn’t tally in with Caroline’s experience, you said the real pain began on day 4. May I ask what it is that you’ve been taking Caroline? I’ve been using nurofen plus, generally 32 tablets a day but sometimes more. My stomach was starting to suffer with it, that’s one of the main reasons for coming off it. 

Peace and love to all, may we defeat this awful disease xxx

• Posted

Rich you can do this. Put it behind you and look forward to the future. Do you have any support do you attend meetings.
    • Posted

No real support to be honest. Feel a bit deflated with the full bloody thing but need to crack on and do it! X
    • Posted

Hi reeree I too was taking anything up to 48 nurofen plus. It was the coldness that came first my skin was sore to touch you would be so cold that I would spend more time in and out of showers just letting the scalding water drip down my body. Sleeping was horrible or should I say lack of it and then when I did sleep I would wake with bad pains in my legs and arms. Bad enough you would wonder if I was taking a heart attack. I also developed an ulcer which makes me violently sick and doctors say if I stop using the nurofen that this will ease the sickness. As I mentioned I'm away from tomorrow till Friday so day one will be tomorrow for me I want to stop this nasty drug. I suffer with bad back pain hench why I started these tablets. I can honestly say I started this filthy habit about five years ago and it made my day go a lot easier. I know I can't keep hiding behind this tablet and I want my children to look at me and believe me when I say I off them. Hope day three goes well for you tap yourself on the shoulder and say well done. I always heard take it day by day I literally have to take it hour by hour. We can do this x x

• Posted

Hi Caroline. Well I went into work but Only lasted an hour so I’m at home watching a movie in bed. I’m glad to say although it took me ages to drop off I did manage to get some sleep last night. It was very frustrating though, at one point I thought it was going to be another sleepless night. I know exactly what you mean about cold skin, I keep going from absolutely freezing to sweating but I’m just hoping that now I’m on day 3 I’ll start to feel better each day. I’m probably going to take a few more days off work, when will my energy start coming back? I have no energy at all, my poor boyfriend is having to do everything around the house. Rich, how are you doing today? 
    • Posted

Hi guys I’ve just come back of a short break glad to hear you have started the process ReeRee. And Caroline good luck for the start of your process. Rich don’t let it get you down to much it’s a hard thing to kick. I have now done 5 weeks clean my goal throughout was get to day 30. I can say that as been and gone and I feel good so good. Sometimes I do miss that buzz and look at them and think just one dose but it passes. The first 10 days for me were the worst but each day gets a little easier. My sleep started getting back to a normal routine after about 3 and a half weeks. Each person is different but for me the legs and the sleep was the worst I’d lie in bed at night getting angry with myself. I can tell you all my symptoms have fully gone now but I get really really bored sometimes. I dont envy you guys at the start of this but it does get better I promise you that. Tips I can give you at the stage your at is take baths and lots of them they are great for the legs. I’d take 2 sominex and hav a bath about 45 mins before going sleep and after about 1-2 hours I’d get about 4-5 hours sleep on a good night. I also got dissolvable energy tablets which is mixed with water to help me through the day with the tiredness. I can’t stress enough the difficulty of the first week or so it feels like years. But after that each day is like a new beginning and very satisfying. I do hope use can do it and I wish you all the best these things should have warning labels just like cigarettes.
    • Posted

Hi Jonathan, thank you for your reply. I’m so pleased you’ve managed to smash this, you’re a real inspiration. I will have to have a few days off work but tomorrow I’ll be on my own as my partner will be at work, the thought of being on my own makes me emotional, but hey ho. Do you feel like you’ve got your energy back? I have absolutely no energy at all, no motivation etc. I keep thinking like world be better being on the tablets but I keep reminding myself why I’m doing this. This forum has been a godsend though! I can’t wait till I’m 5 weeks in, i really can’t! 
    • Posted

Hi guys. I’ve been following this discussion for some time now and I have to say you have all been an inspiration and a major source of strength to me. I’ve been addicted to codeine for about 13 years now and although Ive always been able to admit it to myself, I’ve never admitted it to anybody else. I don’t have a partner or any family other than my beautiful kids so I’ve had to learn to become pretty strong and independent. People seem to think that because I’m strong I can cope with anything and don’t really need help, but they don’t realise that while I may seem strong on the outside I’m a mess inside. Life can be hard and no one grows up thinking “I might become an addict when I grow older”. I don’t tell anyone not because I’m ashamed but because I know what most people will say-“just stop taking them”. Oh I hadn’t thought of that-idiot! But no one here is weak. You’re the ones that can admit you have a problem and are trying to deal with it and to me, that’s real strength. I live in Australia and in February codeine went on prescription only so I knew I needed to do something. I tapered down from 30 a day to 3 or 4 a day and it wasn’t easy. I had days where I just needed to have that warm fuzzy feeling that nothing else gave me and I would take more. Then a week ago I went to get my script and found out my Dr was away and I couldn’t get a script. It’s not easy to get a script from another dr and too be honest I just couldn’t find the strength anymore to try and figure out a way to get some. So now I’m on day 5 of withdrawal. The baths definitely help and I’m on tablets for the rls and all the magnesium,iron, potassium,etc. I have an appointment to get a script tomorrow but now that I’ve made it this far I’m hoping I’ll have the will to cancel it in the morning. Please don’t beat yourself up if you relapse or if you’re not ready yet because just by being here and giving other people advice and hope, you’re already stronger than you realise ??

• Posted

Hi Kellie (I love that name) thank you for sharing your story and I on the edge of my seat praying you will cancel this apt. And if you get it how long will it last and how often can you get this script. I live in dublin in Ireland and they ask you loads of questions like that they look for letter from go. I came clean last October after taking up to 48 tablets a day for about five six years like that I'm a single parent although my children are young adults the look on their faces make me want to stop yesterday but every time I walk by a chemist I'm in there answering all these questions. I must be the only woman that has a bad period every day. I really want to stop these not only the financial side but I can't stop. I'm away as mentioned in a earlier mail from Tuesday till Friday so I've already got my pack of 24 which will be gone in an hour. I know there are chemist's where I am going but I can't take the chance of been caught. I want to gain control of my life and not have them control me. Day by day hour by hour. Keep yourself busy. How are you feeling when was the last time you took these can I ask x x together we can do this

• Posted

Hi Kellie, thank you for sharing your story.  Day 5, that’s incredible! How are you feeling today? I’m on day 3 and I’m not too bad, I managed to get some sleep last night but I’m taking a cocktail of otc meds like paracetamol for goosebumps, immodium for tummy upset, antihistamine and sleep aids at night to help me sleep as well as clonodine which does help with the WDs overall. Please, please cancel your appointment. You are not yet strong enough to control your addiction, tomorrow you will be on day 6 and just think of all the hard work you’ve done to get this far! Here in the U.K. we can still get codiene over the counter and I wish to god they would ban it. They do put warnings on the boxes but come on, what addict is going to take notice of that? God I wish I was on day 5, you’re doing amazingly well Kellie. Caroline, I wish you the best of luck. Will you be able to stay in touch while you’re away? 
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, Thankyou not just for your reply but for your words of hope. They give me even more determination to cancel the appointment in the morning. I can get a script for 2 packs of 30 per month although I’m not sure how much longer that would last as I really can’t lie to my Dr as he’s been so good with me and the issues that I’ve been getting them for are clearing up. I know exactly what you mean about your children, I have felt exactly the same way although now I refuse to let anyone make me feel bad about it. It is something that can happen to anyone and feeling bad about it just makes me want them more. We make ourselves feel so bad about taking them but the road to recovery includes us feeling better about ourselves. And believe me if I was as sick as I’ve made out to chemists over the years I should be on my death bed by now so don’t feel alone there. 

Try not to look at it as you can’t stop taking them. Addiction is an illness and like any illness you can’t just make yourself better when you want to. You need to look at strengthening your mind and body first so that they can fight this illness. For me I know I lack happiness and self confidence in my life and those little white tablets just give me that boost that I need. Everyone has different reasons but there is always a reason even if you don’t realise it. 

The last time I took any was last Wednesday. I have horses which keeps me busy but today was the first day I just couldn’t make it up there. The runs seemed to have stopped although I don’t have much of an appetite anyway. The aches and pains are still there as are the hot and cold spells and rls but for me the worst part is lack of sleep. I’m so tired but my body hurts too much to get comfortable and even if I do manage to find some comfort I just can’t sleep. But in saying all that it’s all been worth it just to know that for the first time in years I’ve managed to go five whole days without them. 

Just remember Caroline that any step you take whether it’s big or small is an achievement. And just knowing that you want to stop is huge. Be proud of that as many people aren’t even at that stage yet. Thankyou and yes your right- together we can do this ♥️

• Posted

Hi ReeRee, Thankyou for your wonderful words of support. I too am taking a cocktail of otc meds as well as some prescription ones. Today was the first day that I gave in to feeling tired and crappy but I need to listen to what my body needs and it needed a day of complete rest. Thanks to you guys I am going to cancel my appointment in the morning as you’re right. If I get a script I’ll think if I just take one I’ll feel better and then I’ll stop, as I’ve done in the past. 

I am ecstatic that I am on day 5 but I think everybody here is incredible as we’re all going through the same process, we’re just at different stages. Day 3 was probably the hardest for me as by then I was yearning for some codeine so you’re doing amazing and even though it may not feel like it, you will be on day 5 very soon. 

Yeh the whole label thing makes me laugh. I feel like saying to people half the time- “if I’d only just read the label, maybe I wouldn’t be here now” 🙄. If life was only that easy we’d have labels on everything. 

I still have mixed feelings about the whole prescription thing though as I know of many people who aren’t addicted but now can’t get anything for pain other than ibuprofen (which doesn’t do much for my pain) and some who have turned to harder, more illegal drugs. It’s like we’ll weve handed out all these drugs for years and now we’re just going to take them away and your on your own. Many Drs around here have no sympathy or understanding for those going through withdrawal now. But at the same time I know that if they didn’t make it prescription only, I’d still be taking them. 

Try to stay strong and be proud of every step you take. Im thinking of you all ??

• Posted

Hi Kellie, your reply makes me feels so much better and you really are an inspiration to me. I’ve just managed to eat a small amount, I’m drinking a little bit more and am just trying to relax in front of the tv. My partner has just nipped out for a few hours and I’m feeling very needy. I don’t know what I’m going to do tomorrow when I’m on my own all day. Normally I love having time to myself but I’m so incredibly clingy at the moment. I’m so glad you’re going to cancel your appointment. You just know what will happen, it’ll be ‘just this once’ again and again till you’re back in the grips of addiction. I had cravings myself earlier, I thought to myself ‘I could just get 1 packet and make it last me 2 days then I’ll stop’ but I won’t. I’ll do the packet in one day then it’ll go on and on. I have to do this, the nurofen plus was killing my stomach and I could only continue taking those amounts for so long before it kills me. When my partner found out this last time he said he would have never forgiven me if something bad had happened to me, and he wouldn’t even know why. That was a real wake up. I’m just worried because I read on one site that it takes 4-6 weeks for your brain to start producing serotonin again, another site said 6 months! I am on antidepressants so hopefully they will help my brain get back to normal. 

You’ve really done so well Kellie to get to this point. Keep strong and stay focused, we can do this! 

• Posted

Hi ReeRee, the internet can be a wonderful thing but it can also be a curse. In the end most information in the world boils down to opinions and experiences. And everybody’s opinions and experiences differ. While one Dr might say treatment A has been proven to be the most effective another one will say treatment B has. So who’s right? Both, because they’ve both seen and experienced different results. But no matter how much information you read, your journey will be your own and can does not mean will. I don’t know what my serotonin levels are but I know that I feel great that I’ve made it to day 6 even if my body doesn’t feel that great. I too am on antidepressants, have been for years and will be for life as I just don’t have the capacity to do life without them. The saying ‘no matter how hard life gets remember there’s always someone out there that’s doing it harder’ is true but it also irritates the hell out of me. It undermines what pain we have, emotional or physical and makes it sound like we should be grateful for for the crap we experience. 

I’ve had to teach myself so many different ways to get through life but in the end so long as nothing I believe in hurts anyone else then that’s ok. There are going to be many things that just won’t help you but some will. 

Yes you will feel needy but remember, in some form or another we all are, otherwise we wouldn’t be here going through  this. Many people give up trying to change their thought patterns because it’s hard and it takes time but everything we believe and feel is learned behaviour and learning takes time. Like you can’t just decide to swap what hand you write with and expect to write perfectly the first time, you can’t expect yourself to just change the way you feel. But in time you can learn with practice to write with your other hand. 

If what your partner says has given you some strength and determination then use it. But don’t let it turn to guilt or shame because then you’re just putting pressure on yourself. I’ve screamed and cried into a pillow so hard that I haven’t had the strength left to go and get some tablets. Just don’t feel alone because you’re not. The fact that we can’t see and touch each other doesn’t mean we’re not connected. You’re doing amazing ReeRee and we all inspire each other, that’s why we’re all here. I think you’re an amazing group of people just to be able to share your experiences and not to judge ♥️

• Posted

Hi Kellie and Ian, thank you for your replies. I’m now on the morning of day 4, my partner has had to go to work so I’m a mess, I feel so emotional and needy and I hate it. I managed to get some sleep again last night night but I was tossing and turning for hours before I actually went on. Kellie you will be on day 6 now won’t you? How are you feeling? Yes that saying really annoys me too! Yes I’m fully aware there are people worse off than me. I’ve made it to day 4, there are some who haven’t been able to stop yet but like you say, it doesn’t lessen my own pain any. I am still going through hell. I’m sat here in tears while I type this just because my partner has gone to bloody work ha. Normally I would love a day to myself. But not today. 

Ian, you mentioned that you’ve always managed a few months clean, how long did it take for the rls to clear up? What sort of reasons do you have for relapse? 

• Posted

Hi ReeRee and Ian,

Well I cancelled my appointment today so still no codeine. Yes ReeRee over half way through day 6 and feel about as good as yesterday but forced myself to go to the horses as the sun was out and thought the fresh air and peace and quiet would do me good, which it did. But now I’m back home and I’m tired and sore. I too am having a really messy emotional day today ReeRee so you’re not alone there. I wish I had the words or could do something to make you feel better. All I can do is tell myself that it will pass and that if I did go and get some tablets I’d only feel miserable and alone because I did. At least this way all the tears and negative feelings are for a good reason. Just remember what you said- you’re going through hell- but you don’t have to stay there. Day 4 is fantastic and every day is one step closer to your goal. Do you have some family ReeRee that maybe you could spend some time with, or a close friend? You don’t have to tell them what’s happening, you could just say you’re having a crappy day. Please know I’m thinking of you. 

Ian, the fact that you’ve been able to give up for months at a time is incredible. Relapsing isn’t failure, it’s only failure when give up trying and caring anymore. I’ve given up more times than I count too, but only for a few days so it really doesn’t count as properly giving up. I’m the same when it comes to the rls and sleep, although I don’t tend to sleep a lot anyway. But no sleep at all due to the rls does me in every time. This time I did get some medication from the Dr for the rls. I have tried everything that I could find on the internet and nothing really helped but I’ve been taking the Sifrol for 2 days now and while I still get that funny tingling feeling, I haven’t had the spasms where I’ve had to keep getting up and walking or taking a bath just to get maybe an hours relief if I’m lucky. So I’ve managed to get a few hours sleep the last couple of nights. Maybe you could ask your Dr for something for the rls and see if it helps. I didn’t tell my Dr about the withdrawal, just said that I needed something for the rls as I couldn’t function with no sleep. Please let us know how you’re going and I’m wishing you all the best ♥️

• Posted

Hi Kellie, just knowing that there is someone else I can talk to helps a lot. I have made an appointment with the doctor for an hours time, I’m hoping to get something for the rls and maybe talk about going into some stronger antidepressants. I’m going to need all the help I can get to get through this. I’m currently trying to get myself ready but I barely have the energy to do anything more than wash my face and stick brush through my hair. I look like I’ve been dug up haha. Maybe that’ll go in my favour with the doctor. My partner has taken the car to work so I’m going to have to get the bus which I am not looking forward to. I just hope the doctor is understanding. There isn’t anyone I can spend time with, everyone is at work and if I went to my family looking the way I do they would know instantly what’s up with me. They are aware of my history but they think I kicked it a while ago. Ive been thinking of telling them but really don’t know if I can. When I was detoxing off tramadol I was given a wonderful drug called zopiclone which helped with my anxiety massively but I don’t think they like dishing those out. I’ll see what they say anyway. I have been trying otc sleep aids but they don’t seem to work at all. Well I’m going to get dressed now and then go for the bus. Fingers crossed I can get something from the doctor. Speak soon xxx 
    • Posted

Hi all, hope everyone is well. I’m on my way home from the doctor, I’ve been put into fluoxetine which I think is a stronger anti depressant, I’ve been given propranolol for anxiety and something else for restless legs. I just hope to god that the meds for rls works. I’m absolutely exhausted, though I have to admit that I feel a bit better for having some fresh air and a bit of a walk. I’m going to have something to eat when I get home and try to treat this like any other day off. We have to keep positive, thought the WDs absolutely suck, try not to let them beat you. I’m feeling rather proud of myself, I could have easily bought some codiene tablets while in the chemist or even pretended I was still on a tapering plan and got a script, but I didn’t. Go me! Hopefully having something to eat will help slightly with energy. Keep strong everyone, we CAN do this! 
    • Posted

Hi ReeRee, 

Wow, that’s great! I’m so pleased for you that you’ve managed to find the strength to go and do all that today. I know how hard it must have been to push yourself to do all that. Yes you should feel proud of yourself because what you achieved today was a massive step and I too hope the meds work for you. Being exhausted from lack of sleep due to the rls makes it even harder than it already is to cope through it all. 

I hope you’ve managed to eat something and it helps bit. I’ve managed to eat some tea finally so I’m hoping I’ll feel a bit stronger tomorrow. 

I was also wondering who else here has had rls before they started taking codeine? I did but it only happened maybe once a year and only for a couple of nights, nothing as bad as this. 

You really are doing so well ReeRee and yes we can do it-together! ♥️

• Posted

Thank you Kellie, that means so much. I really am pleased with myself for not giving in. While I was waiting for my prescription I could see all the rows of those lovely but oh so dreadful tablets and knew that If I got some all my pain and discomfort would go away. But I also knew that I would only be for today because I would gobble up the whole packet and that I’d be back at the beginning again tomorrow. I’m 4 days In now and determined to see it through. I’ve managed a bowl of cereal but it’s 1.30pm here so I’m still very hungry. I’m going to have a cup of tea and some chocolate so hopefully that’ll give me a bit of energy. I’ve been trying to limit my use of clonodine but I’ve got chills and shivers so I’m going to just have 2 of those and see how I go on. I really need to eat though, the lack of food is making me feel sick. How are you feeling today Kellie? Do you have a partner or anyone who knows what you’re going through? 
    • Posted

ReeRee And Kellie well done really the first part is done. These days nights especially will feel long and crap. But you guys are doing amazing you really are. ReeRee what a strong woman resisting all that temptation. Kellie congrats on cancelling that appointment what a massive step. And Ian mate don’t beat your self up it’s a hard thing to do and well done for going so long each time. I can’t stress how crap these first days are what use are going through. They are like hell I was at that point not to long ago. Alls I can say to you guys is it is worth all the pain you guys are going through. These nights and days will pass and each day that does is another step closer to freedom. ReeRee my rsl lasted about 14 days I know it seems long but you are at the hardest part of the process. I know it’s been said but bath,bath and bath again. Things do start felling better But it takes time. To get my sleep pattern back properly it took about 3-4 weeks (full 8 hours and sometimes more😉wink. These 2 things was the worst for me and would of been the reason for relapsing. Its hard to say stick with it and just ride these horrible first stages out this is a really tough thing to break. But again you guys are doing amazing and I can promise you hand on heart things do get better day by day. I wish you guys all the luck and strength in the world use can do this stay strong.

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, thank you for your reply. I managed to sleep some last night but it took me ages to drop off and I was wide awake at 5am! I’m just so exhausted. I’ve been and done a little shopping this morning, got some Epsom bath salts and magnesium, also sominex, hopefully it will help. It’s not helping that I’ve barely eaten anything, I forced a banana down earlier but I was retching while eating it which is not fun. I’m gonna to try to snack on fruit throughout the day and try some toast. I haven’t been in work all week, I think I’m just going to take the rest of the week off. There’s no way I can work in the state I’m in. Friday would have been my day off anyway. I went into a boots chemist today to get somimex and was very proud that I didn’t give into temptation. My cravings have been wild today, this morning I was thinking ‘if I just had a few pills to get me through today and tomorrow at work would that set me back on my withdraw?’ But I didn’t cave. Would you say you’re completely back to normal now J? How many days clean have you got now? 

Ian, so you’re starting today then? That’s great news! Do you have any support? 

Caroline, I know you’re away and so can’t reply. You will now be about 24 hours in by now, I hope you’re feeling ok! 

Peace and love everyone xxx 

• Posted

Hi guys, well it’s the end of day 7 and I’m still clean although the cravings have been bad the last 24 hrs. Luckily I’ve been busy all day today so that helped and now I’m so tired I wouldn’t have the strength to go get some even if I wanted them. Still not getting much sleep but a few hours is better than none at all. 

Wow day 5 ReeRee, well done. You really are so strong to be going through those cravings and still resist getting those tablets. If it were still available over the counter here I’m not sure I would have been able to resist today. I hope you’re able to eat something soon. I think taking the rest of the week off is a really good idea as at least then there’s no pressure to have to do anything at all if you don’t feel up to it. And no I don’t have a partner or any family so you guys are really my only support but that’s ok because you guys help me more than you can imagine. I don’t want to speak to my friends about it either because as good as they are they still wouldn’t know or fully understand what I’m going through whereas you guys are going through it with me so I don’t feel so alone anymore. How’s the emotional side of things today ReeRee? Is it any better than yesterday? I hope it is as I know it really sucks feeling like that. 

Thankyou Jonathon, but it’s because of you and the others that gave me the strength to cancel it. I’ve been following your progress and I think you’re amazing to get to where you are and you really inspire me and make me believe that it’s possible for me to get to day 30 myself. Can I ask if you still get the urge or the craving to have some? I’m really hoping that feeling will go away in time. 

Ian, you take as much time as you need. I’ve been following this discussion for sometime and only felt up to talking myself a few days ago, so it doesn’t matter we’re still all here for you. I too suffer migraines and that’s where I’m going to have problems as I need pain relief for a couple of different issues and codeine is the only painkiller I can really take that helps. I’ve been to the pain clinic and unfortunately every other pain medication I’m either allergic to, or it does nothing at all. Apparently my body doesn’t respond to meds the way most people’s do. 

Caroline, I hope everything is going well on your trip and that you’re feeling ok. 

Thankyou again everybody because if it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t have gotten this far ♥️

• Posted

Hi Kellie, wow, you’re at the end of day 7 and you’ve been busy all day, that’s incredible! How are you feeling physically? Oh my cravings were SO bad but ultimately the only person whose going to be worse off is me. I simply can’t go through another cold turkey, i don’t have it in me to do all this again so I have to stay strong. I’m so looking forward to going away for my partners birthday in November and not having to do the chemist tour beforehand to make sure I’ve got enough, and not having to sneak around taking them. I’m looking forward to all the extra money I’ll have! I must have been spending between £250 and £300 a month, that’s a good few thousand that I’ve wasted over the years. Onwards and upwards though. I’ve just managed to get an hours sleep on the sofa, I’m going to try and get some chores done. I’m so glad that you’ve been able to take strength from this forum. I do believe that this forum has really helped me as well, just knowing that there are people who fully understand is a comfort. People we might decide to confide in won’t ever really know what we’re going through unless they’ve been through it themselves. My emotions are much better today thank you, I’m not a quivering wreck but sad adverts and programmes send me over the edge ha. 

Caroline, I really hope you’re ok, I guess you can’t get a chance to pop into this forum but we’re all here for you when you do. 

J, I can’t tell you how much you’ve helped me. Like Kelli said, your comments make me believe I can do this too. I just can’t believe you managed to work through most of it! 

Take care all, speak soon xx 

• Posted

It's such a shame that there was a dedicated forum out there with support (there was even a chemist giving advice), but it folded. I'd love to find out how to get it set up again. Unfortunately it is a grey area to have or give advice when we're unqualified which I do understand... It also makes me realise how awful you all must be feeling. I've never taken more than 8 N+ or equivalent in a day, usually no more than 6 or even 4 on a regular daily basis. I still realise it is very bad for you regardless. I still get withdrawal symptoms though for a week or so, and the cravings too. I'd imagine high usage would be a lot worse going full CT. I reckon the insomnia and rls will kick in tomorrow night, gonna look for lots of early nights! Good luck all and keep it up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.