Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I’m currently 27 hours into ct.  This is my 3 time doing it. I was taking 10/15 30/500 everyday. Got it from the doctors and online doctors. Cost a bloody fortune. My symptoms at the moment is achy legs, stomach cramps and it feels like someone has hit my head with a sledgehammer.  Sent Hubby out for some loperamide and nytol 
    • Posted

Hope things are going ok for you Gemma, things to get better!
    • Posted

Thank you. 75 hours and counting now. Feeling ok but got one killer headache. Should be on the home run  now as soon the headaches do one
    • Posted

I'm 4 Days into CT after taking the same (of more) levels of codeine that you have for many years. I've been going through the same symptoms but they peaked lasted night. Today has started to get easier physically but psychologically it's really though. I tell myself (as I have a million times) that I could just have a small amount, now and again - when I have migraines but of course it's not true. If I have access to it I will just keep taking more. That is the hardest thing for me to battle the " devil on my shoulder"

• Posted

Well, I’m still hanging on. I’m now 89 hours into withdrawal. This is by far the hardest withdrawal ever, and I came off herion and Methadone. I craved last time I tried but this time I threw all my tablets in the bin. I am so determined. Come 4pm uk time I will be officially going into my 5th I think. Hubby thinks I’ve got the flu. 

How are you doing?

• Posted

Hi Gemma, You are doing really, really well because I know how hard this is. I'm up to night 4 of withdrawal. This afternoon I got back the stabbing pains and I still have regular diarrhoea. I haven't eaten in 48 hrs and I've been living on lemonade and ice. My partner thinks I have a tummy bug that's no big deal  but I really want to get through this without telling him so that he never knows of my past addiction.  Please write back and let me know how you are getting on.

• Posted

Sorry, my mistake getting ahead of my self. Nearly on day 4 not 5. Wishful thinking. Don’t want to tell Hubby either, he stuck by me through my other addictions and don’t want to put him through that again. Diarrhoea is back in waves. Immodium is helping me. Killer headache has gone for now. Tummy rumbling like crazy. Still yawning. Just wanna crawl back to bed but got my 2 year old at home and school run for my other one so have to keep going for them. Can nearly see light at the end of the tunnel as I’m feeling 70% better than day 1. Just gotta hang on in there even if it is by the grit of your teeth. It will be worth it in the end.
    • Posted

Hi Gemma, I had at least 6 hours of good sleep and I feel like I'm slowly getting there.  No  diarrhoea yet and I just had a milk drink, still don't feel like food. I think I have turned the corner physically but I'm worried about the psychological battle of wanting it inspite  of how bad it is for me. THankfully my kids are grown. I couldn't have taken care of little kids throughout this. I think you are doing amazing!

• Posted

Hello again people, I'm half-way through Day 5 now and symptoms have eased up and changed. The tummy pains are going, bit of nausea but managed to eat half a sandwich. But now I am sweating like nothing else! And my body odour smells different - maybe it's the stored toxins from all the years of pills coming out. I'm still to weak to do anything but restlessness and muscle aches are gone, it's definitely moving into a better phase. Mentally I start having thoughts of going to the chemist but I'm too weak to follow them through anyway. Anybody reading this who is in the hell of Day 2 or 3 hang in there, it does ease up

• Posted

You are doing brilliant. We can beat this. Nearly into my 5th day now so I’ll Be back at work on Monday. We are nearly through the worst of it. Yesterday I had a fit of energy cleaned my house from top to bottom but today all I wanna do is sit on my butt. I’ve gotta keep going for my kids. They deserve a pill free Mom. 
    • Posted

Well done fiona...I'm starting to go CT from Monday and dreading it! Like u my partner doesn't know I'm on any kind of tablets so I'm gonna have a 'tummy bug' as well! I was going to taper off but I read about the Thomas Recipe to help with withdrawal and have stocked up on all the supplements! Have u heard of Thomas recipe? And good luck on the rest of your journey x

• Posted

Appears I spoke too soon. Diarrhoea back with a vengeance and feel so cold 😩

• Posted

Oh yeah, you'll get highs and lows for the first few months, but i don't know if that's normal life or not as I've been on codeine for most my adult life!

• Posted

Your doing brilliantly as well  Gemma. I haven't had any bursts of energy let alone cleaning the house.! Wow. I've just been so lethargic. I've just woken up to a good night sleep (I take sleeping meds). Last night I ate another half a sandwich so all I have eaten since Sunday night is a sandwich! and I've had a couple of milk drinks, no wonder I have no energy. So now it's Day 6!!! I'm not feeling nauseas right now but the diarrhoea is still there. My biggest fear today is now that I  feeling well enough to go out I will drive to a chemist if I get a sudden craving....I'll post again if I do to remind myself how well I have done so far 

• Posted

PS No I haven't heard of the Thomas method but I have been taking Anti-nausea meds, diazepam (I never get addicted to that), buscopan (for stomache cramps), magnesium and beroccas (vitamin drink). Good luck to you too!!

• Posted

Hi Hannah, good luck with your CT!  It easily resembles a tummy bug so your partner won't realise it's withdrawals.  I hope it is not too awful for you but if it is then use that pain to make yourself hate codeine and determine that you will never let it do this to you again. ( Says me who is only on Day 6 and craving again ATM). I haven't given in so far only because I didn't have any access and was too unwell to go out. I would recommend don't have any codeine available to yourself at all. I have had to have this week off work. I went to work Monday morning which was start of  Day 2 and I was hit with violent vomiting and diorhea. Luckily I could be easily picked up by my partner and taken home. Again good luck and post and let me know how you are going  😊

• Posted

Oh I gave in today and went and bought a packet of 15/500s  (40 tabs). I was up to Day 6 CT and I just thought I needed a 'treat' eg a small dose. Well I took 12 tabs and didn't feel any great positive effects. It took away my tummy pain and stopped my diarrhoea but I felt quite nauseas and only a little relaxed/warm feelings. So I had 160mgs of codeine. I had been up to 600 mgs a day before so I've had to give myself a break. I just went and dissolved and destroyed the remaining 28 pills and feel a sense of power again. I feel failure on one hand that then I have to remind myself of how often change is a case of two steps forward and one step back and 6 Days of CT was huge!! I can't let that go to waste. I'm glad now the OTC codeine is recorded with our licences so I can't buy anymore for at least a week and I've used my Drs prescriptions well before they are due. I am glad about this now because I truly know that cutting off my supply is the only thing that I can do at that moment. So I start again as Day 1 sober tomorrow but hopefully I won't go threw much withdrawal again since I took just a one off amount. 

• Posted

Don’t beat yourself up over it. That’s what happened to me last try of withdrawal. Just carry on as it doesn’t necessarily reset the process. Big hugs 🤗. 

Well, I’m 4 hours away from being on day 6. Slept 8 hours without taking any sleep aids. Legs still abit restless but feeling a lot better. 

• Posted

Thanks for your encouragement Gemma, good on you for getting to Day 6, the worst physical withdrawal is behind you 👏I'm struggling now with how to manage the psychological dependence eg.  that I need it to manage a strong emotional situation, or I deserve it as a treat. I guess I just have to take one day at a time doing the best I can and when I stuff up like today I have to rectify it as quickly as possible. It is a positive sign that I destroyed the meds because I never would have done that in the past, the pills were precious! I hope when I wake up in the morning I won't have done too much damage in my overall withdrawal . Let me know how your getting on later x good luck! 🤗

• Posted

Hi Fiona. How are you feeling? Don’t be to hard on yourself. We get good days and bad ones. Getting to day 6 without any tabs is amazing. You should be proud of yourself.  Today is a new day. 

I’m still hanging in there. Nearly on day 7. Don’t feel too bad though. Minor aches in my legs and little headaches here and there. Actually slept 9 hours without having to take anything to help me get to sleep. Let me know how your getting on xx

• Posted

Awe fiona I'm away atm for weekend and just read what happened...just put it down to a hump in the road and start again....good luck keep us posted! I'm already dreading Monday when I start CT x

• Posted

Hey Fiona.

It happens. Safe to say that we've ALL did that exact same thing. I've said this before, but it's like your alter ego takes over. Persuades you and for a moment, you give in and take some. But you dissolved the pills, brilliant. I assume you're not from UK? (you mentioned licences, I'd never heard of that).  Well that's good, as you say, it takes it out of your hands and stops you from buying any more. Keep going with it. Personally I dont think cold turkey is the way to go. But as I have not yet fully quit (tapering at the moment) I hope it works for you. My plan is to be totally free of codeine in the next 14 days - without any symptoms at all. If I succeed I will post ab absolute essay on here explaining my every thought and every process. 

You sound like you'll get it under control, good luck to you. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I’m feeling much physically stronger today with only mild nausea, still diarrhoea. But psychologically has been so hard!  I’ve been obsessing all day over throwing away the tablets I bought yesterday. I know it was the right thing to do but I’ve regretted it because I felt like I could handle having a few. I know this is the addiction talking and I am shocked at how psychologically addicted I really am, I don’t know how I am going to resist at times when I’m back into my normal life. I know that I have to confess to my Dr so he never prescribes it again, same with the pharmacist so he can ban me on their database. I am in general a person with very strong willpower and determination but I am forced to admit that I  am powerless now over codiene. If it is in my possession then I am compelled to take it even when the high doses make me feel sick and the levels of paracetamol could easily cause liver damage. Ideally I should go to a drug and alcohol counsellor but I live in a smallish town and that isn’t really feasible. 

Congratulations on hanging in there! You are doing so well. Are you battling the psychological part as well ??? eg. thinking where/how to get it, how it would be ok just to have a small dose, how you could use it recreationally. Do you know is this part eases over time like the physical symptoms? Thanks for your replies, keep hanging in there too xx

• Posted

Thanks Hannah, at least you are forewarned and prepared for the coming week. It might not even be as bad as you are expecting! For some people it’s not. I hope that’s true for you. I’ve found posting really helps because is the only admission and expression I am able to make about being addicted to codeine. I’m gonna have to take a big leap to telling my Dr soon if I can’t kick this by myself ..Keep us posted when you’re underway x
    • Posted

Hi Sinky, thanks for your interest and comments. I live in Australia and codiene sales now have to be recorded using our drivers licence numbers. Pharmacists use discretion about whether they give it to you or not but they couldn’t dispense another pack  of 40s in less than a week. Next February all codeine products will become prescription only which used to panic me but now I am glad about it because it protects me. I would have preferred to taper down gently but I know I couldn’t. If those tablets are there, I will take them, I truly have lost control over codeine. I realised this when I couldn’t stop myself even taking levels of paracetamol that I new could damage my liver.  I felt relief doing the CT because I was breaking this terrible physical hold the drug has over me. What has shocked me now  is the psychological withdrawal that I’m struggling with and you can read in my earlier posts. I am wishing you totally good luck and I look forward to reading your posts and how it has been for you x
    • Posted

I got rid of all my tabs the first day and have literally confined myself to the house. Only went school and back to pick up my daughter. I have 2 kids, husband, a dog and 2 kittens to keep me busy. Hubby is a lazy sod when it comes to cleaning 🤣🤣. I haven’t really thought bout getting more tabs as I really need to succeed this time. I have an addictive personality so my old councillor told me so get addicted to things quickly. Plus I know one day I will go to bed and not wake up as my tolerance was getting higher. I could easily swallow 20/30 tabs a day. 2 more hours to go then I will officially be in day 7. One whole week without them and I feel good. Don’t get me wrong, I feel like poop still but 100% better than I was on the tabs. 

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I have been feeling much better today, physically almost normal. But I felt stress due to a situation that happened with my daughter and I was craving coseine so badly! Because for so many years I took it to numb myself when I was stressed, angry, anxious. Scared etc Luckily I didn’t have any to take. I know I had to relearn how to cope with negative emotions. How are you doing? X
    • Posted

Stay strong. You are doing so well. Stress is always a reason that I go back to it, to get that warm fuzzy feeling but 1 pill soon turns into 8 then 10 and so on. There is no way I’m going back. I’ve put my body through hell the last 7 days and it will be for nothing if I touch another pill. I’m still getting headaches and a bit of toilet trouble but like the other symptoms it too shall pass. Big test today, finally going out. Gotta go shopping with the kids to do food shop. The chemist is literally in the supermarket so think I’ll avoid that aisle. Back to work tomorrow after being off for 7 weeks. I just need to keep myself busy and it’s definitely busy at work. X
    • Posted

Hi Gemma, well done to you! It’s momday morning here and Day 8 of withdrawal for me. I can’t call it CT now since I had that lapse one day and took 160mgs. I’ve stopped feeling bad about that because normally I would’ve taken 500mg per day over that 7 day period so this is an achievement! This is my first day back at work in a week - I’ve lost a week of my life to this addiction and I’m physically fine now but my mind is in constant battle with itself. I can’t believe I would even contemplate wanting codeine after being so sick. It’s crazy! Thank God I can’t walk into a chemist and buy any because my pattern of behaviour is so ingrained eg. planning, counting pills, making different drs appts etc etc.. You all know how it goes. I wish you another good day Gemma. If you could beat Herion you must be able to beat anything!!!
    • Posted

Good luck with your Start of CT. Remember that you are the one in power over your decision not to take codeine even when it feels like your body is in control of you xx
    • Posted

It’s sunday night here but I’m doing fine thanks. Feel so much better. Went shopping even went to the chemist for my daughters prescription and didn’t even think about buying any. Day 1 of work tomorrow. 14 hour shift to get through. I can and will beat this. We are doing so good, should be proud of ourselves. Just our mind to fix now. Change our thinking patterns etc x
    • Posted

I put it off for months until one day I thought sod it. I was being drawn back into a world I didn’t want to be. The withdrawals suck but as each one comes, it will be one step closer to recovery. It was just like a week long case of flu. The more cts ive done the worse they are. Have plenty of hot baths. I even used deep heat on my legs when they ached that much. Keep yourself hydrated even sips of water helps. You can and will beat this. Feel free to message me anytime. I will be thinking of you and big hugs 🤗 xx

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I felt much better at work than expected. It was Day 9 for me. I was surprised at how well and healthy I felt, the “pull” of wanting to seek out codeine felt gone. Mentally the thought would cross my mind during the day - how could I go about getting some? but there is no compulsion behind the thoughts and I can sweep them away. I really do feel so much better to have broken the physical addiction, just got to keep working  on the psychological now. Glad to hear you are doing so well x
    • Posted

Hi Hannah, how is your first day going? Have the withdrawals kicked in yet? I would also add to what Gemma said and suggest wrapping hot water bottles around your calves if your legs ache. I did it and it’s over 30 degrees here so I had the air con on as well 😀

• Posted

Spoke to soon! Yesterday Day 9 I got back some mild tummy pains and diarrhoea back and still have it today. Third day back at work and coping well - thoughts of getting codeine eg asking a colleague go through my mind but I can’t dwell on it 
    • Posted

Nearly day 11 and I’m going great. All physical symptoms have gone. 

Fiona I think it depends how long you was taking them for, I took them for just shy of a year. Sorry for late reply but been so busy at work. You are doing brilliant x

• Posted

Yeah I’ve taken them for about 10 years but didn’t become physically addicted until 5 years ago. I got up to the highest amount in the past 6 months which was scary because it was just scary levels of paracetamol. Well done to you! 
    • Posted

Hey Hannah, I’ve failed miserably on staying off codeine 😪 I had a mental health emergency with my daughter last night which saw me beg a packet of meds off a friend. Then today became even more stressful with another daughter having problems and I just took myself off to a GP in my usual practice and he easily prescribed me panadeine forte and Valium. So I have relapsed. I feel like a complete failure but I truly don’t know how to cope with emotional pain without codeine 😭😭I wish you success with your tapering x

• Posted

Arww. So sorry to hear about your daughters. Pills have a way with thinking that you couldn’t cope without them. Keep your chin up. You did brilliantly keeping off them for over a week x
    • Posted

Hey, Gemma thanks for comment. How are you going? I’m gonna try again to stop taking codeine. I have no choice really, I can’t keep taking it forever! I have to just try again.  I feel like I’m wrestling a monster, for a little while I’m in control and then I’m just powerless over codeine calling me. I’ve completely undone all of my good work. How quickly the suffering is forgotten.  I’ll taper with the rest of my pills for the next couple of days and then CT again. Surely it couldn’t be that bad after only being back on them (at much lower levels) for a week. For me it’s the psychological addiction that is so strong, I think because I have abused them for such a long time. Does anybody have any inspiring stories of staying codiene free after years of dependency? Any comments would be appreciated x 
    • Posted

It's horrible how these meds get a hold on us fiona....thanks for the reply. I wish you and your daughters well and maybe in time we will beat this damned drug!! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.