Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mate, I am currently taking what you WERE taking. I'm almost jealous that you have went as far as you have. I can't get time off work so I will be tapering down. Keep going. As i say, I'm jealous that you have went the hard route and have made it this far. Keep us updated with how it goes.

• Posted

Nearly 72 hours now for me and not 1 tablet as been drank. It’s been I don’t no how to say this but it’s been a lot easier than I ever thought it would be don’t get me wrong heads banging what ever I eat is going straight through me. But the worst thing is this cough. My god my ribs and back muscles are killing me through coughing. And running nose like I have a cold. Before when I woke the first thing I did was dissolve 3 tablets sit in the dark and drink them. Before i could even get moving. Now I wake shower get ready and push my shelf to just ignore the feelings of wanting the dreaded stuff. 

Did any one else get a cough ? And my main question is this the calm before the storm could it be that I have taken them for so long and so many it’s taking longer to start to come out my system and I’m heading for a massive come down 

• Posted

Hi Debbie, for me withdrawals hit at about 36 hours and then peak on Day 3 or 4. I never get a cough or flu like symptoms, mine are purely gastro. I’ve been taking codeine for about 10 years, had a few cold turkey experiences in that time which was like a bad tummy bug for a week and then the psychological craving would be too much and I would be back on to it. I had got up to taking 15 - 20 panadeine forte (30/500) per day which was just warding off withdrawal and I knew I must be damaging my liver. So I went cold turkey again a couple of weeks ago and it was really bad for about 5 days. Then stressful life events happen and bamm I am taking them again. I have had probably 90 pills since my CT and I’m starting CT again tomorrow. This feels like an endless merry go round I can’t get off. I can only assume the physical withdrawal symptoms will be much more minor this time. have an appt with my GP in a week and I am going to have to tell him about my addiction and ask him to put it on my record to never prescribe codeine. Cutting off my source is the only way. I can’t believe after suffering through those days of CT I can just wipe that from my mind and take the drug again. Sorry for rambling on.....this is the only admission to the world that I have. I have never told anybody that I am addicted to codeine and  I wanted to be able to get past this without anybody knowing but now I think that is impossible. My GP is gonna have to know 😢😢

• Posted

Just be careful about telling your gp luv coz some of them cut the tablets off u right away and if u decide to taper u don't have any to taper with. ...good luck hun. I'm starting tapering on Monday again but hopefully this time will be the last! Life always has a way at throwing stress attached us and we just reach for the damned pills!!

• Posted

please can someone help me, im going out of my mind :-(

i quit a 10 year codiene habit 12 days ago (i did give up for 2 years hen i had my son in 2012-13). the wd has been horrible but im struggling so badly with the sleep issue. ive been up since 01.30am after 4hrs sleep and i dont kno what to do with myself. i dont want to take anything else for it and i never want to touch the evil stuff again but i feel like taking a dose just to sleep. im struggling to do anything. please tell me it doesnt last :-(

thank you

• Posted

Hi Karen, I also have a 10 year codeine dependency and I recently went thru cold turkey but lapsed at about Day 10. I’m starting CT again tomorrow.  So I have no personal experience in regards to how long insomnia lasts. I have read a lot of posts though and other people report that their insomnia subsided the same as the other withdrawal symptoms (within a couple of weeks).  I think that as you have come so far (12 days is amazing!!) that it would be such a shame to lapse now (like i did). If you can continue to tell yourself that the lack of sleep is just a temporary symptom of getting off this stuff it might make it more bearable. I personally find the restlessness, RLS and inability to relax to be so hard to tolerate but it passes, so the insomnia will too. Stay strong, I wish I could be as strong as you are being. I’m still battling the ability to stop taking the stuff but I know I will. I never knew that addiction was this hard 😞

• Posted

I'd say the insomnia would last a week, Restless Leg Syndrome if you get it is up to a month. You may also get relapses. Keep in there it does get easier!

• Posted

I came off it to get pregnant a few years ago and don’t remember it like this at all!  I literally threw every pill that I had here it’s the only way for me! I hope you manage to make the break soon xx
    • Posted

Hiya karen I googled the 'Thomas recipe ' it is a range of vitamins and things u can use to help with withdrawal symptoms. I have them all in and I'm starting tapering on Monday again....I'v lost count of how many times I've tried! Keep us posted and good luck!! Ps....try nytol for sleep x

• Posted

good luck Hannah I knew I wouldnt be able to taper so I really admire your strength
  • Posted

Thank you both so much for the reply, I’ve had a 20 minute sleep this morning and I thought I’d had about 2 hours.  I don’t want codiene, I’ve thrown boxes of it away last week but if I can’t relax soon I don’t think I’ll stick it out.  My GP is useless and no one knows from my friends and family because I’m so ashamed.

physically I’m feeling so much better but I can’t have this tipping me over the edge.  I haven’t been very well the last few days with a fever rash etc which hasn’t helped but 12 days of lying on the sofa and I’ve had enough.  I’m going to go out this afternoon and get some fresh air.  Will try a nice bath before bed and try and focus on what sleep I do have rather than what I don’t.  Why are the hardest parts the ones you don’t expect :-(

• Posted

Karen you have done so well to get to Day 12!! And it’s amazing that you don’t want the codeine. You must be right on the edge of recovery from the physical withdrawals. Going out for a walk etc is probably a good idea because after laying around for so much time over 12 days you might not be tired enough to sleep. I encourage you to keep codiene free and I desperately hope that I can get to 12 days myself. Good luck keep us posted x
    • Posted

The only reason I don’t want the codiene is because I never want to feel like this again :-( I’d prefer the first five days than this and that’s saying something.  Ive felt so repulsed by taking codiene cos of how badly I’ve been feeling but if I had some now I fear I’d take it. Just cos I’m anxious about sleep!
    • Posted

Hi Fiona. How are you doing? I think I’m on day 19 now and I feel great. All symptoms hav gone now. Been busy as work with stepping up as official manager and not just duty manager. Keeping my self busy. xx
    • Posted

Hi Gemma

do you mind if I ask when did you start feeling better?are you sleeping?

Day 16 for me and I feel terrible, legs ache, stomach ache and really tired.  In typical fashion I’ve got a cold this week which isn’t ideal and I’m hoping that’s a major factor.  My sleeping is bit better 10pm to somewhere between 3-5 am. Which is not helping with the tiredness and the kids are off school so I’m just struggling all day with them.  Feeling bit of a mean mummy.

im still determined I don’t want codiene but I just want to feel myself again.

Fiona how are you?

• Posted

Hello Gemma, Well done! I’m so impressed that you have managed to kick this habit and feel so much better for it. My problem is the psychological addiction, I just don’t have the willpower to cope without codeine when things are stressful. I’m disappointed in myself because I am back on 150mg per day. I was on 600mg before my 6 day CT. I know that I have to have counselling and support in order to cope without the codeine and I have my GP appt in a week. I can’t imagine how I’ll tell him that he has to restrict my codeine because I have become addicted but I know that this situation has to end, I can’t get back up to a high dose again with terrible withdrawals.  I am happy to hear your good news and wish you continued success xx
    • Posted

Hi Karen, thanks for asking. You can read how I’m going in a reply I just sent to Gemma. Needless to say I’m “failing” but still very aware that this is temporary and I have to be able to live without codeine for good. In my experience all of my physical symptoms of withdrawal have gone by a week (when I’ve stopped in the past). Maybe your symptoms are more a part of having a cold than you realise. I hope you feel better soon, like Gemma you have done an AMAZING job!!! xx
    • Posted

Awk fiona sorry to read this...we have all been there and maybe will again...I'm tapering atm but finding it really difficult! I would go and tell my doc but I'm scared of running out of codeine and being tempted to buy them off the Internet. Can u not just try to taper very slowly. ..like half a tablet per day? Good luck anyway hun x

• Posted

Fiona I'm trying to work out how many mg per day I'm on?How many mg I'd in one 30/500 co codomol plz? x

• Posted

Hi Hannah,  there is 30 mg of codeine and 500 mg of paracetamol in cocodamol 
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments Hannah. I’ve never been the sort of person that could taper off anything eg. smoking. It would have to be CT, all or nothing. If I have access to my drug (now Codeine) I just don’t have the willpower to restrict myself. But I have done CT with the codeine a number of times and failed after a week due to psychological not physical cravings. So....tomorrow I will give it a go and plan a taper for myself....who knows I couldn’t fail much worse than I already have! I’ve still got 10 days before my GP appt so I’ve got time to think about what I need to tell him and give this a go
    • Posted

Well here I am a week later and I am successfully tapering! This is a surprise to me as I could never restrict myself before. I feel like the last few days I’ve been winning a psychological battle with myself and I’m able to shift from that all or nothing attitude. I am taking 160mg a day now and plan to taper down to stop in another 7 or 8 days. I’ve scrapped my plans to go and confess all to my GP at this point because I want to be successful in this and then I can tell him later to cut off the codeine when I am not so vulnerable as now.  I’m feeling positive, I have to get off this stuff and I really believe this is my last attempt and it’s gonna be auccssful!
    • Posted

Well done that is absolutely terrific :-) stick with it it’ll be so worth it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.