Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well I would like to say well done again to you all honestly I don’t know how u have got past day 2 I tried after reading all this thinking I could do it so gave up after the second day I had the worst toilet issues and sickness and after about 12 hours I had the worst restless leg syndrome and that was just to much I’m 28years old and taking a day of work is the difference between bills being paid or not I ended up having a day of work and just couldn’t do it anymore it doesn’t help with my partner getting at me as she doesn’t understand what I’m going through and instead of helping me through this she gets at me instead I sit up every night worrying if Themis addiction will 1 day kill me of and worry for my 2 little girls and my partner as I have the only income in our house hold 

I don’t know if there’s any other medication that will help me cut down or just gradually cut down or what I recently over the last few weeks reduced my dose to 7 codein in the morning and 7 in the evening but then the last 2 days I tried to take 6 morning and 6 on the night and honestly was moody felt s**t felt like I had not taken anything I can’t keep still I’m not exactly getting the worst of restless leg syndrome but I feel the ache the slowly and feel like having an argument with every 1 I bump into 

I suppose I’m just a big wussy and gleaner go through it but it’s really starting to depress me I’m on the edge of seperation with my partner I’m depressed but don’t say anything as my house hold as gone through that much recently that if I break we will all break 

Let’s hope some day I can do it I just don’t know how 😒😒

• Posted

Hi James. Whether you can do it now or not please keep talking to us. I found it enormously helpful coming onto this forum. I tried quitting last year but didn't manage it. I found this site and tried again, with the help of everyone on here I managed to quit. I never ever thought I would be able to do it but I did. I shocked myself with my strength and patience. Everything you're feeling is normal, I was so angry and irritable, couldn't settle, had stomach cramps, diarrhoea, restless arms and legs, crawling sensations, insomnia, anxiety etc. ......but it passes. It may take a while but I promise it will get better. 

You need to remember it's hard to quit but you've done the hard part by admitting you have a problem. It took me years to admit to myself that I was an addict. I'm 43 now and have been addicted for 20yrs. ....10yrs on and off then 10yrs solid. If I can do it then believe me you can do it too! 

Some of us find it easier to cut 1pill a day each week, this could take months but withdrawl will be easier symptom wise, others found it quicker going cold turkey. It was now or never for me so I cut them out quickly. I cut right down then a couple of weeks later just gave up totally. 

Do what feels right for you. But we're all here to support you without judgement! ?xx

• Posted

Hi James, I completely agree with what Donna replied to you. I am 46 and codeine has been in my life for 20 years and I tried to quit many times. I can’t believe I’m on Day 7! I went to my GP today and told her to ban me on their system from having codeine and she did. That is a further relief to me. I feel like I need to build in as many safeguards as possible. Do you have a supportive GP? if so there are medications eg diazepam, anti-nausea, anti-diarrhoea etc meds that they can help you with. They could devise a sensible tapering plan to help you feel in control of your useage again (I couldn’t do that mind you). Have you considered the idea of seeing a psychologist to supprt you with this. I started seeing one and she was the first person that I admitted to that I was addicted to codeine. It was liberating but strange after keeping the secret for so long.  I know you can take control of this while you are young and not spend years living with this addiction like I did. Keep posting if it helps 😊

• Posted

Hi Fiona, you know I'm just thinking how some doctors just hand out codeine without warning us about how quickly we can get addicted. Then when we do get addicted there's not much help to come off it. Not in my area anyway. A lot of you have talked about getting other medication to help with withdrawal and even having talking therapy, I was offered nothing. I was given more codeine on a weekly prescription and told to cut down each week. I rang a drugs helpline and was spoken to over the phone about weaning myself off them......that was it!

I hate that temptation is all around us here. I wish the chemists would stop selling it. I can't see that happening here though, sometimes nurofenplus is even advertised on TV. Our chemist's have so many codeine brands to choose from we're spoilt for choice. 

I'm on day 11 now and still don't have any cravings, each day is easier. I'm hoping in a couple of months to have all this behind me. 

You're right that James should break his addiction while he's young, I've wasted so many opportunities and just missed out on life in general because I was so doped up to enjoy it. I feel more alive now than I have in over a decade. Long may this new lease of life last for us all!

• Posted

Hi Donna, I’m sorry that there has been such a lack of support in understanding about codeine addiction where you live. I’m surprised, here in Australia they treat it with the seriousness it deserves. Part of the pain of my addiction was constantly trying to get codeine, finding chemists that would allow me to have it once every 5 days. I have been turned away from chemists many times over the years. I was always warned it was addictive. It was embarrassing and shameful and I even resorted to making excuses and asking my relatives or friends to get my some.  I would have been jealous of where you live! When I heard that all codeine was going on prescription here at first I panicked but then I thought No, this is my chance to quit. I have been lucky to have come across caring health professionals in my area as well. I can’t imagine the willpower you must need if codeine is so accessible but you are doing so well to choose your health over this drug. I’m starting Day 8 and I haven’t experienced any cravings for codeine, I don’t know if that will come in the following weeks once all of the feeling sick has gone.  Keep up the good work!!
    • Posted

How is everybody going? It’s the end of Day 8 for me. I still have constant nausea (in spite of meds) and diarrhoea. But at a least I am able to eat small amounts. I feel more exhausted than I ever have I don’t know when that stops. I’m starting to feel a little RLS starting but I took magnesium earlier which really helps me. I haven’t had a single craving for codeine - either physical or psychological. I’m expecting that to change when the sickness is fully gone but I don’t know. I can only report that I am proud to have come through what I have in the past 8 days 😊

• Posted

Hi Fiona, I'm on day 12 now. I feel like my symptoms are starting up again, I feel absolutely rubbish. I could cry with the pain in my legs and the tiredness is getting me down. I've got a constant headache and feel fuzzy headed again. The past couple of days I felt great mentally but not today, my symptoms are taking their toll on me now. I have the darkest of circles under my eyes, my skin is dry and I feel like I'm walking through treacle. I'm struggling to climb my stairs. I feel like an old person on their death bed. 

It surely can't still be withdrawal?  

I'm wondering if I have an undiagnosed condition that the codeine has been masking. I'm going to try and see my gp because I can't carry on like this. Only problem is it takes weeks to get an appointment here.

I'm glad you haven't had any cravings, that makes recovery easier I think. I have to push thoughts of "if I just have 2or3 I'll feel better physically" out of my head. Luckily I don't have any in the house. But......... I know I can pop out and buy them! I won't though! I hope! 

And we'll done to you again ?xx

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I suggest you get a full blood test. Check your iron most importantly. You might have a gastric upset that might have caused a small bleed. This can affect haemoglobin levels and that might be what’s making you so tired. Also check your liver and kidney function. 

Well done to everyone 

• Posted

Hi Donna, you are doing really well! I understand exactly how you are feeling. I’m on Day 9 now but still so exhausted along with the rest of the symptoms. I understand what you mean about the thoughts that just 2 - 3 pillls could help....You obviously have great strength not to go and buy some. Thankfully I can’t. I went to the second dr surgery this morning to ask him to put a ban on codeine on my file. He was reluctant to in case I change my mind.  But that’s the whole point! I need them to ban me in case I do ever change my mind. So he wrote on there that it was patient requested and apparently I can change my mind which doesn’t make me feel 100% secure but I guess it will help. I am so sick of having nausea and feeling weak, my memory is shot as well.  Hope you have a good day tomorrow 😊

• Posted

Hey Jeanette how you doing? 

I had a blood test last June I think it was, it came back that my blood count was borderline but I was told I didn't need iron. I've been anaemic on and off all my adult life and had a transfusion years ago, I personally think I need iron tablets. My KFT  came back low a few times but the nurse never discussed this with me. I suffer with a lot of water infections so just assumed it was to do with that. 

I'll make an appointment to get my bloods done again. x

• Posted

Hi fiona, wow I can't believe the doctor would be willing to give you codeine again in the future! 

The exhaustion is a killer. I was eating well at first, taking vitamins, drinking lots, getting out and about and staying positive but now that's all slipped. I can't be bothered to do even the simplest of things anymore, little things like paint my nails, style my hair, cook etc. 

Let's hope this hopeless mood shifts for us soon and we feel well without turning back to codeine x

• Posted

Hi Donna, it’s the end of Day 10  for me and I had a really good day. I returned to work and felt about 90%. I’m still fatigued, nauseous and have diarrhoea but with the use of meds it’s not too bad. Yesterday afternoon I had a really strong psychological craving for codeine, my mind was running through the possibilities of who I could ask for just a few tablets. My mind was telling me that I just need to “relax” again in only the way codeine makes me relax. I told myself that I would only do it “one more time” but it scared me so I talked to my partner about it and that helped the feelings/thoughts to settle down. Today I barely even thought of codeine - being busy at work probably helped. Anyway I hope that your energy returns soon, I know exactly what that bone tired fatigue is like. I hope today was a turning point for me too
    • Posted

Hi Fiona, I'm 2wks codeine free. I've had a bad day again, I feel depressed and extremely angry at everything. I think I'm angry at myself for not feeling well yet. I looked up a few withdrawal facts on some health sites and it can take months to fully recover from opiates, it depends how much was in our system too. I was tempted to buy some because I thought I haven't improved off them so what was the point? I'll stick it out!

I'm glad you have support at home it must help a lot. I have no one so when I get upset or angry I have to bottle it up. 

I'm going to try and do some gentle exercises and see if it improves my mood.

I hope you're coming to the end of your withdrawal now and you feel 100% real soon.x

• Posted

Hey Donna, I was just thinking that for people like us that have had 10 - 20 years use of codeine, there can’t be a quick fix. They says that the chemistry of the brain changes to adapt to a drug so with the withdrawal of that drug our brains must be in shock!! And I believe that it will take a little while to readjust. I’ve just woken up to Day 11 and I don’t have nausea! I’m finding now that the intense symptoms are gone that I can tell myself that it I was on codeine for such a long time that I have to be patient about feeling better.  I’m just taking one day at a time and being grateful that I’m not taking codeine and I’m not really sick with withdrawal.

Please don’t go out and buy any! You have been through 2 weeks of being codeine free and you have made significant progress even if it doesn’t feel like it today. Each day you get through is one day further on this road to freedom. Please realise how well you have done!! 😊👍 Hang in there!!

• Posted

Hi guys, it’s Day 12 and I’m finally feeling a lot better. After nearly 2 weeks of such exhaustion I woke up before 8am and cleaned the oven for an hour,  I then spent 4 hours spring cleaning my bedroom. I can’t believe how much energy I have, even more than when I was on codeine that’s for sure. I’m having a rest now in the late afternoon so I don’t overdo it but I wanted to let you know that today makes it all seems worth it. Not to have the niggling withdrawals, planning when I’m ltake the codeine during the day, how much do I have left, when and how will I get more?? An endless roundabout that I have finally stepped off. It’s is worth it people, keep going. Donna I hope you are feeling a bit better today 😊 xx

• Posted

Hi Fiona, I'm so pleased you're feeling better. I had a couple of days like that then a couple of days feeling rubbish again. Today I'm okay, still lowish on energy and have achy restless legs still. I'm sleeping better though. I'm on day 16 now and I thought I'd be 100% by now but I'm reminding myself I'm better than I was and it's going to take a while.  The thought of swallowing any sort of pill now makes me feel physically sick, which is a good thing. The sun is shining today too which has improved my mood so I'm hoping by spring which is in another month here that I'll be healthy and pain free. I need a focus and that is my focus. 

Keep moving forward too Fiona and again well done to you ?

• Posted

Hi Donna, I’ve just woken up, it’s 3:30am here so I hope I go back to sleep. I have been sleeping better the past few nights except for tonight. You are on Day 16, it is frustrating to still have annoying symptoms.  Based on what you said I’m expecting that I could have difficult days again but I’m prepared because they will be nothing like the early days. I can’t imagIne it being winter. I wonder if this is easier to gov through in the heat or the cold. We’ve just have a week of 40 - 47C temps here and I’ve spent more of my recovery under the air conditioning. It dropping to the 30s this week and I can’t wait to get outside and do things eg gardening, instead of the outdoors being like an oven.  I’m looking forward to Autumn when our weather is in the 20s (although that is cold for me!). Keep warm, I bet you’ll be feeling brilliant by your springtime 😊🤞

• Posted

Hi Fiona, I'm out the other side now......its Tuesday evening and I started to feel better on Sunday afternoon. I didn't want to believe it at first, I thought I was just having a good afternoon then I'd feel rubbish again but luckily I still feel well.  My flu symptoms have all gone and my energy is coming back. I'm sleeping better although I still don't sleep comfortable and I still have restless arms and legs.  I'm hoping these symptoms will go soon.

WOW I can't imagine that kind of heat! I love the warm weather but we're lucky if we get 3 days in a row of warm weather.  I'm in the north of England and it's always cold and grey. I think we're getting more snow next week. 

I've been getting so hot through the night sleeping with my windows open even though it's frosty outside so I don't know how you're coping with the heat on a night?

Anyway no going back for us.....We've done so well! Onwards and upwards ?

• Posted

Hi Donna, we sleep here with the air conditioner on 24/7! I’ve never been to the UK, the little country towns look so pretty on TV but too cold for me - you wear coats in summer!! Anyway, I’m so glad you are finally through to the other side 😊 It’s the start of Day 16 for me and I’m almost back to normal, just mild diarhea, nausea and the occasional shiver. I love feeling energy instead of lethargy when I am at work. I won’t lie though, I do get occasionally psychological cravings. Yesterday I had period pain and headache and I have not gone through that without codeine for decades! So that took some willpower to tell myself that I could take something else (wasn’t as good) but the minor pain was nothing compared to getting addicted to codeine again. I thInk it has helped me so much that I started a new job, the chemists are no longer allowed to sell codeine and I banned  myself from being prescribed by two drs surgeries. If I was at my old job yesterday I know I could have asked a co l-worker for some panadeine forte. So thankfully I didn’t have any easy access. And you are right, no going back for us! Onwards and upwards 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.