Codiene addicted for over 5 years , desperate to come off it , starting to get pain in back etc

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there , I found this site only just now as I can't take it any more .. Iv taken codiene / cocodamol / solpadeiene max for more than 5 years now daily , the most was 6 solpadeiene max in one go daily , then I found out I could do codiene withdrawal from paracetamol via cold water extraction ,, I have been doing this for a long time every night to get me in a relaxed state to go to sleep for about 3 years now .. I crush approx 20 8mg codiene cocodamol caplets, every night , .. It has gotten so shameful I am hiding it from my family my partner my work colleagues , my handbag is always filled with empty packets of pills , to the brim , I go between chemists in town so they don't cotton on but they are starting to give me looks when I come in .. I am deeply ashamed but can't seem to stop .. I go to America next year in September and I'm getting married .. I don't want any more lies or secrets .. I need support and a plan in place .. My doctor gives me 200 30mg cocodamol a every 3-6 months and they're gone in 2 weeks ... It's getting bad , if I take too many without cwextraction I have pains in my back , and side , I'm scared my kidneys will fail and my liver .. But I can't seem to stop , once I tried a few months ago and I had the worst feelings ever , cold turkey = mood swings , not sleeping , achy itchy legs , major stomach cramps and runs , I'm so scared .. But I so want to stop , is anyone willing to help and possibly give advice or support and I could support them ????

0 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ignore the back , do a stretch or two when possible, focus on anything else, its not goung to be asy but nothing good is , well done  so far xx
    • Posted

I'm stood at my work counter stretching away ! smile ..

Folk prob thinking what is she doing lol !!!

• Posted

Hi jayd sorry for late reply , was a bit ashamed to answer if I'm honest .. I had a set back and relapsed. Feeling pretty crap to be honest and a bit sad too. It's stupid as Iv only taken a few to take the edge off .. Finding it hard at night time .. As they sent me to sleep .. sad .. Iv not taken any today though and I don't have any in my bag ..

But I have taken a box since my last reply .. Again feeling pretty crap really. Xx hope your well

• Posted

Sorry fran that was meant for both you and jayd xx
    • Posted

Ahh Lyndsy , dont worry , just keep trying a little at a time , nothing to be ashamed of , these drugs have you in a grip , slowly slowly , when youre ready it will happen ,dont give up , its all  going to be ok xxxxx
  • Posted

Keep going Lyndsy! Youve nearly done your first day ! Xx
    • Posted

Thanks fran , that's me finished my work , iv still only had 2 ..

Iv only 4 left in my packet in my bag .. I keep thinking will I walk in to town before chemists all shut before 4pm ... And they're closed tomorrow or will I endure it and go cold turkey after these are up ... sad

I think il dig my heels in and stay home...

Il probably be climbing the walls tonight !

• Posted

You will be fine, , and if not , its temporary , we are all on your side, and here to help , have a great evening xxxxxx
    • Posted

Hey fran hope you had a lovely New Years , happy new year !..

Well iv not had any pills since last night at 8pm ... Sore back and headaches , but not climbing the walls just yet ! And I can't get any till tomorrow even if I wanted , I figure if I can go tonight .. I can manage cold turkey ... Just not looking forward to the achy legs xx

• Posted

Hot baths got me through the restless legs. You won't want to have a bath but promise laying in hot water is the best thing. And get someone to massage your calves!
    • Posted

That's what il do then .. i hope your having a nice new year smile ... Really hope I can get through the next few days of this. X
    • Posted

You can do it! Thanks for wishes , we are away in Taunton , sadly my brother has been diagnosed with a rare dementia and in 3 weeks  has gone from normal to being confined to a dementia home , he is just 70 and we are devastated , he is , sadly awre of whats hppening at the moment , but has flashes of humour , but has made me appreciate life ,and to live each day as we never know. 

The irritable legs will go , , but you are one step closer to  coming off, very well done xxxxxx

• Posted

Fran I'm so sorry to hear that. Be thinking of you. Let me know if you need someone to talk to. We need to all look out for each other. How fantastically wonderful of you to still find time to post and help others. It shows, like me, you must of been shown the same support here when you needed it.

Look after you.

Sue x

• Posted

Thank you Sue, its just so sad ! He has just had anew grandaughter and will never get to enjoy her. The whole family is devastated and feels a little guilty that we didnt see the signs ,many of us are nurses and we didnt see it , it was insidious  and then bam! 

I really appreciate your kind offer , thank you, no doubt  in the future I will take you up on it,.

Happy New Year xx

• Posted

Hi fran , sorry for late reply , not been a good day ..

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother , really I am that's so sad to hear , one of the cruelest things dementia , or alzeimers , like symptoms ...

Hardly slept last night , still no tablets so far but my other half has more if I find it too tough tonight ...

Migraine and tummy troubles ... , I hope your ok xx

• Posted

Hi sue , had a bad day today , hardly slept last night , tummy troubles and migraine .... Yuck xx no pills yet xx
    • Posted

Keep going , it will evntually get better ,, not worth giving in now youve come this far ,,youd have to start all over again , and thats soul,destroying , very proud of you , you will get through all this , think of that wedding dress!  Xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.