Codiene addicted for over 5 years , desperate to come off it , starting to get pain in back etc

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there , I found this site only just now as I can't take it any more .. Iv taken codiene / cocodamol / solpadeiene max for more than 5 years now daily , the most was 6 solpadeiene max in one go daily , then I found out I could do codiene withdrawal from paracetamol via cold water extraction ,, I have been doing this for a long time every night to get me in a relaxed state to go to sleep for about 3 years now .. I crush approx 20 8mg codiene cocodamol caplets, every night , .. It has gotten so shameful I am hiding it from my family my partner my work colleagues , my handbag is always filled with empty packets of pills , to the brim , I go between chemists in town so they don't cotton on but they are starting to give me looks when I come in .. I am deeply ashamed but can't seem to stop .. I go to America next year in September and I'm getting married .. I don't want any more lies or secrets .. I need support and a plan in place .. My doctor gives me 200 30mg cocodamol a every 3-6 months and they're gone in 2 weeks ... It's getting bad , if I take too many without cwextraction I have pains in my back , and side , I'm scared my kidneys will fail and my liver .. But I can't seem to stop , once I tried a few months ago and I had the worst feelings ever , cold turkey = mood swings , not sleeping , achy itchy legs , major stomach cramps and runs , I'm so scared .. But I so want to stop , is anyone willing to help and possibly give advice or support and I could support them ????

0 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've read all of your posts and your supporters posts.  I applaud you for your willpower.  I too have stopped taking an addictive substance and am starting the new year opiate free.  I feel like a truck ran over me but otherwise I am happy not to be on the drugs.  In the U.S. where I live, Codeine is illegal over the counter, but you can go to the "pain management" doctors and they will give you a prescription for anything and everything.  My last visit I told mine that I wanted to stop taking it because of the addictive qualities. I've taken Hydrocodone.   It was originally for pain from a botched neck surgery, in 2012.  He just said to keep taking the pills and WE can rethink it after the holidays!  Unacceptable!!  So I have weaned myself off of it.  None since New Years Eve.  I thought it would take me months, but when I started writing down when exactly I took it, I realized it was just a habit.  I waited.  Then waited some more.  And after a weeks time I had cut it down to only a half a tablet every 8 to 10 hours.  My last one was new years eve and I had Hot Chocolate and watched movies that night.  So far so good.  I still have pain, but I can take some tylenol or ibuprofen.  It's not nearly as horrible as I had imagined. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Annie !!! Well done for starting the same time as me ! That's excellent , your doing so well , it's crazy how doctors can just hand out the prescriptions like sweeties isn't it ?.. Then your in the door then out , that's what my doctor is like .. Gives me 200 full strength cocodamol at a time and says let me know if there's anything else .. Hmm

How are you feeling today ??? I'm feeling pretty rotten and miserable , my other half went and bought another box and is keeping them in case it gets too bad tonight , stomach ache and migraine as I speak ... sad hope your feeling better than me ! Xx

• Posted

I'm feeling okay.  I got a case of sinus infection or something. I think that has helped me more than anything.  A good thing coming out of something bad.  I have been sucking on cough drops (non narcotic of course) taking tylenol and non narcotic cough syrup. The only thing the doc actually gave me was flonase to clear up my sinuses and told me to try some over the counter meds and salt water gargle.  Focusing on all that has pretty much kept me from thinking about the other.  And when I start feeling like I am "in pain" I just get up and move around and make some more hot chocolate or whatever.  I never EVER want to be in the position of being at the mercy of a doctor again.  Especially after finding out that they discouraged me from stopping the addictive cycle!! I know its only been a few days, but having done it before with alcohol I know it's only one day at a time.  
    • Posted

Hi Annie .. How you getting on ??...

I had a set back the other day , was just a bit too much .. I think the cold turkey approach isn't working for me and I need to be realistic and face the fact that it is harder to come off these than I first imagined .. Keep going Annie your doing so well xxx

• Posted

Oh the sinusy thing is normal , im still sufferring with it and have developed a hacking allergic cough , which is ironic as Im not on anything at all! Except for an inhaler now to control it ! Keep on doing what youre doing , its working , I tried not to think about side effects or problems or you listen too hard too your body and get mixed message s. Well done , another day crossed off xxx
  • Posted

How you getting on lyns? X
    • Posted

Hi jayd , well it's been a good week now , and iv gone from taking about 20 a day to roughly 6-7 a day , I hope next week to lower to 5 a day and onwards to lower down per day ... I don't feel too worked up about it and I don't have really any bad side effects just yet .. I haven't had any kind of (high ) for about 10 days now ... I am missing it but but not craving it if that makes sense .:: I haven't done any cwe at all , since before New Years .. Which in itself I am proud of my self , because I used to cold water extract about 20-30 pills per night ... That on it self is a massive step for me I know it is ... Iv made an appointment with my doctor and I hope to get some sort of counselling to go over past problems .. / issues .. That might help a lot too to confront a lot of stuff .. So I'm on the whole getting there bit by bit ..

Hope you and everyone else doing well too xxx

• Posted

Great to hear youre doing so well Lyndsy! Think gp / counselling is a great plan , hope all continues to go well  xxx
  • Posted

I sympathise with, and understand, all who have posted here.

there is an excellent self help group available to help us, called Narcotics Anonymous. You can find details of local meetings on line; or telephone the help line. It is free, you do not have to give your name, and no-one will judge you or tell you what to do.

Many people have an (incorrect) assumption that it is for people who have used illegal street drugs and live on the streets. Most have not, and many used legal over the counter and prescription drugs.

becoming abstinent is only the first stage: that is something (understandably) not made clear in the above posts. Many people who attend NA have been abstinent for over 20 years - because - they still attend NA. You will get masses of support, practical help, and have fun. 

You our have nothing to lose but your habit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.